5.0 out of 5 stars How to live life as a yogi
Published on 22 Sep 2004 by morty1

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a bit too serious
There is no doubt that Ms Farhi knows what she is talking about. She does seem to live, breathe and sleep yoga. She does however, strive for perfection and nothing else will do. She seems to be an absolute perfectionist and there is no room for mistakes. I wouldn't like to be a student in one of her classes. From the examples of case histories she gives in her book,...
Published on 26 Mar 2011 by chilloutzone

5.0 out of 5 stars How to live life as a yogi, 22 Sep 2004
Donna again uses her simple and down to earth style, this time focusing on the spiritual side of yoga. Unlike her previous book based mostly on asana and breathing, this book is devoted to living your life and philosophy. Based in places on Patanjali's sutras, but with influence also drawn from the Gita and Upanishads, Donna guides us through the yogic principles in a refreshingly down to earth guide.
If you are a student interested in finding out more about yoga philosophy, or a teacher looking for a deeper understanding, this is the book for you. It is also a fantastic teaching aid and helps make philosophy more accesible and less "out-there" for students who may be put off by the classic texts.
I can thoroughly recommend this book to all yogis!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing Yoga to Life, 29 Mar 2009
Barguirdjian Cgr "SarahB" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living (Paperback)
Donna Farhi is not only a true yogi but also a gifted writer. She leads us gently by the hand showing us the more spiritual side of yoga teachers often glance over.
A very positive and uplifting book by an intellegnt and greatly respected teacher.
Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing Yoga to life (Ashtanga & Spiritual), 24 Nov 2004
Mr. R. Smithers "Russell Smithers" (Nantwich, Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book is one of the most influential, enligtening and worthwhile books I have read, as good for a non yogi as it is a yogi.
The insights and easy reading style, along with nice tone and friendly atmosphere make this book an essential read for anyone.
Each point is made clearly and with very good examples, which bring more clarity. Its a book you will want and probably need to read a few times, and certainly one that will be good as a starting book to research further into the Yoga Sutras, Buddism and spirituality.
I could go on, but to be honest, just buy the book, and be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Jan 2011
Jo (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This is not a "self help" book but the best "guide" for living a happier more fulfilled life I have ever come across. It puts the responsibility squarely back into your own hands in a very encouraging common sense way. I recommend it highly even if yoga is not your thing. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of a self-help book, 27 Nov 2010
I bought this book because I've been attending regular yoga classes for some time and wanted to find out more about yoga philosophy, expecting to be told I shouldn't eat meat and must exercise morning and evening! Instead this book helps you learn to appreciate life and the people in it, without being patronising or unrealistic and a yogic way of life is more about how we think than performing sun salutations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Jan 2011
A Kid's Review
Being a good yoga teacher is one thing. Being able to write about yoga in a passionate, informative and intelligent way is something different. Unfortunately I don't know Donna Farhi as a yoga teacher. This book is my first encounter with her. And a very fortunate one, as far as I am concerned. For me she is definitely a great writer. Her book is so well written, a mixture of deep insights, yoga history, relevant quotes, identifiable anecdotes and... HUMOUR. This book confirmed to me something that I already started to be aware of: that I was doing yoga more or less as ' doing exercise with Sanskrit names' . More like an escape from my life than as an endeavour to feel more alive. Somehow I have always had some kind of reluctance to go further into the yoga philosophy before, into all these' ' vagueness'. This book is an eye opener for me and a good read as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing yoga to life, 27 May 2010
I really enjoyed this book and will read again and again. It really brings the ancient philosophies of yoga into the context of our lives in modern times. I had read Patanjali's 'how to know God' during my yoga foundation course and continue to refer to it. This book is an excellent accompaniment to that and an inspiration for trying to discipline yourself to practise at home. I would wholeheartedly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly real! A Great Book on Yoga!!!!, 3 May 2010
I am a Yoga practitioner that loves Yoga philosophy!
Yoga can change the way you look at life as it makes you shift the way that you normally look at yourself. All this transformation process is achieved by simple practice!
You learn how to deal with life and your problems as you learn to know yourself when holding poses and when concentrating on your breath. "Bringing Yoga to Life" is written beautifully and deals with the real experience of Yoga. It explains, in depth, Yoga philosophy in a practical way, when explaining typical situations that a Yoga practitioner faces during practice. The transformation that one faces can be challenging at times, and you may not understand why this happens. This book can make you understand things and make you say "I finally understand this now!".
If you are a serious practitioner or just a person that is interested to know more about Yoga, I surely advise you to buy this book! You'll read it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 9 Feb 2014
Would recommend this book to anyone interested in yoga - this book demonstrates that yoga is more than practising postures. Donna Farhi writes superbly - from experience, from the heart and sensitive to her readers. It's the best book I've ever read

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing yoga to life: eloquent, personal and deeply moving, 29 Jan 2014
J. Mills (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
A beautifully written book that has enhanced and nourished my thinking, being and practice. Donna has drawn on a wealth of personal experience and shed light onto the challenges, pitfalls and dilemmas that many of us bring to the mat and beyond. I can say without hesitation that having read this book, I have moved from 'dipping my toe into the water' and occasional practice (1 or 2 half hour practice sessions per week), to partial submersion (6 practice sessions 1 hour plus per week). An inspiration, thank you Donna.

Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living