Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 26 June 1998
I grew up on Victorian novels and Ms. Michaels captures what I remember of their style. The heroine, Megan, is such a twit that she can't figure out that her beloved Edmund is a grade-A jerk. The character who makes the book is Edmund's sister, Jane, a woman of intelligence, courage, and sense. Sam, their kinsman, is a good character, too. I spent much of the book wanting to shake some sense into Megan, but I kept on reading because I cared about Jane, Sam, and the townspeople. The author's solution was what I figured would be the only way to bring a happy ending out of this mess, but I did not expect the method she used to pull it off.
on 10 March 1999
Black Rainbow doesn't maintain a good pace like many of Michaels other works and is missing many of the ghost story elements I like to find in her work. However, she has a wonderfully twisted ending.