5.0 out of 5 stars The most 'real' ghost story I ever read., 22 Sep 2004
J. Crowe (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This was the first book of Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels's that I read but I still think it's one of her best. I love the way the characters view every development with careful, reasoned scepticism, even when being attacked by writhing smoke.
The manifestations are kept plausible, the build-up to the finale is great and the ending is nicely handled.
If you haven't tried any of this author's books under either name, please try this one. If you like it, please try any of the Amelia Peabody books, particularly the early ones. If you've met Amelia already, you could like this.
I love it. I must've read it at least 6 times and it still has me waking up wondering just what that noise in the hall could've been....

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time favourite, 27 May 2005
This review is from: Ammie, Come Home (Mass Market Paperback)
I first got a copy of this book when I was a teenager. Since then I have re-read it so often, the original is falling apart and I have ordered the new edition. Without the now obligatory blood and gore, Ms. Michaels manages to raise a genuine frisson of fear. Her characters are intelligent and don't just accept the supernatural without considering more prosaic possibilities; this actually adds to the impact of what is going on. It requires the reader to use his / her own imagination and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys their paranormal thrills served with style rather than with violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A spine tingling ghost storie that makes you believe, 22 Nov 2002
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It has been a long time since I have read Ammie, Come Home, but it is a book I will never forget. Barbara Michaels draws interesting characters in vivid reality, and then slowly introduces the ghostly presences that threaten their lives.
In many tales, writers have a hard time making you believe...Barbara Michaels does it so well this book lingers in my mind decades after I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a ghost story - Kept me up way past my bedtime! Excellent, 5 Jan 2008
Mary Chrapliwy (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ammie, Come Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This neat little book was written fairly early in Barbara Michael's writing career. Though originally published in 1969, it holds its strength and value still today, telling a thrilling ghost story that is timeless.

The book begins with the enchanting story of Ruth Bennet, owner of a historic old Georgetown home, inherited from an elderly aunt, and her niece. Her niece Sara, who she dearly loves, came to live with her while attending college nearby. Ruth meets one of Sara's professors who takes a liking to her and asks her out. She goes with him to a party at his wealthy mother's home where a séance is held with very little result -- the medium feels little. Ruth, out of sympathy for hostess and medium, invites them to come to her home for a dinner party. While there, they hold a séance with far more complex results. Sara is briefly possessed by a lonely spirit and the medium feels the intensity of an evil spirit. The party breaks up with the medium fleeing with fear from the party.

Four characters are central to this story, Ruth, the professor friend, Sara, and her boyfriend. They all reserve some degree of skepticism regarding whether the house is actually haunted. During the story they read into past Georgetown history to find answers, all the while experiencing escalating supernatural events that they cannot explain. It finally wraps up in a stunning conclusion that'll take your breath away.

If you love ghost stories and love mysteries, this book is a sure bet for you. I started reading it and stayed up way past my bedtime! Buy it, borrow it, get it, read it. You'll be glad you did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ammie, come home, 19 Feb 2004
I had difficulty putting this book down, its well worth a read although the ending was a little weak compared to the rest of the book.

Ammie, Come Home
Ammie, Come Home by Barbara Michaels (Mass Market Paperback - May 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01