5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional Story of True Love.
My husband and I read this book together and cried our hearts out. It is written on many different levels and can be read and enjoyed on any of them.
It is a book about a love which is literally death-defying. We were so inspired by it we wanted to recreate the togetherness and joy of the relationship they share.
It is also a story about a religious...
Published on 28 Nov 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, but don't expect too much
This book is interesting insofar as it relates to CS Lewis, and also from the point of view of the observation of a 'beautiful death' and how Christians come to terms with death and dying: in this way it is certainly edifying.
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Anne Power

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional Story of True Love., 28 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: A Severe Mercy (Paperback)
It is also a story about a religious conversion - reluctant on the part of the author and the impact that has on the couple's relationship. A riveting read which explains some basic religious concepts in a very down to earth way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., 14 Jan 2001
David Haggith (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Severe Mercy (Paperback)
Made me want to move from the U.S. to Oxford. I fell in love with England for the first time when I read this story of the love between a man and a woman and their God. I was already a fan of C. S. Lewis, so when Lewis stepped into the story as their real-life friend that added to the interest. It took a shadowy figure and sharpened the lines a bit, making him a little more real--not just the name on the spine of a book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, but don't expect too much, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: A Severe Mercy (Paperback)
However, I found it difficult to relate to the 'characters' involved: they come from a very privileged, educated, extremely protected cultural background, and as a couple I found Sheldon and Davy irritatingly self-absorbed and, I'm sorry to say, a little 'twee', but then again if I felt I had more in common with them culturally, perhaps I would feel more sympathetic towards them as people.
I think I expected to find more in the memoir that would have general application, but I was reading a deeply personal account from which I felt remote.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Severe Mercy (Paperback)
interesting but something you would probably sell on or give away after so reasonable value for money. A good buy though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: A Severe Mercy (Hardcover)
A fantastic true story of a couples love for each other and then their growing love of God. It exudes love, grace, grief, perseverance and passion. I can't fully express the impact it has had on me. A MUST READ for everyone.

A Severe Mercy
A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken (Paperback - 15 Nov 1994)
Used & New from: 0.01