5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book on being fully human, 29 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Leap over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians (Paperback)
This book, detailing and probing the life of King David, has provided many valuable insights into the matter of living in communion with God even as being fully human. Although I was skeptical, I am glad to note that the biblical text was handled with integrity. The author researched the texts that he commented on, and admitted to speculation when doing so. This book is a must-read for anyone who struggles with the matter of living with God even as he or she struggles with being human. Peterson's narrative style also pulls the Davidic story right off the pages! The perspective is refreshing and challenging at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petersen gives a 3-D look at David!, 12 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
I don't know about you, but I have really become tired of reading books about Biblical characters that make them all sound like super saints. In Leap Over a Wall, Eugene Petersen turns biography on its head and gives his readers a look at King David that comes much closer to presenting a Biblical look at Old Testament person. David becomes three dimensional in the pages of this book. We see his failings and his victories and we can relate. Petersen's amazing insights into the stories of David's life gives the reader a real sense of hope and encouragement. I wish that every believer would read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely one of my favorites., 17 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
In this book, Peterson has freed me to find God in an "earthy" way. Like many in my generation, inside the four walls of the sanctuary is not always the place where I most deeply experience God. Peterson's retelling of the David stories, with a beautiful edge that is vintage Peterson, has given us all permission to be like David - profoundly human and earthy, yet "after God's own heart."

5.0 out of 5 stars Peterson at the top of his game, 9 May 2009
S. Benham (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
For those who haven't experienced EP, this is the work to start with. He has an unparalleled ability to engage with his reader, such that you actually enter the narrative, but not as an idle bystander, but as participant in these pages. He invites you on the same journey that he describes in the life of King David, but which has a significance and application in the everyday working out of our faith in the day to day grittiness of our lives. No other author I know achieves all this in such an involving way, and with such a lightness of touch. I have returned to this script many times since I first read it, and find almost half the book underlined to emphasise just how well written and observed it is. No excuses - borrow, beg, steal, or even buy, this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a human David, 4 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
For the first time (in a long time) I have seen a character of the Bible, not only like a Bible character (or history participant). I don't know how Peterson's neurons deal with his poetic soul, but I have met and was pleased to meet a human David. So human that "seems to be real". His problems and joys were brought to the atmosphere of "real life" and not treated as a table of lessons or a list of do's and dont's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 2 Nov. 2013
I have been very impressed by this book, it is insightful and challenging. Like many Christians I have found the Old Testament difficult to read on occasions and this book has made me consider my assumptions and be more open to reading such wonderful but human stories as this one about David.

5.0 out of 5 stars leaping over, 17 Sept. 2013
J. J. P. Pritchard (lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
I have used "the message bible" by same author, so thought I would read this title, especially after I was recommended during a study course on "King David" in the bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Feb. 2014
great book, great style and thought provoking content, as always form this writer. Read and enjoy, have recommended it to lots of friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Aug. 2014
Just as described and arrived early!

Leap over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians
Leap over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians by Eugene H. Peterson (Paperback - 11 Jan. 2002)