5.0 out of 5 stars What is Heaven and Hell?
Published on 26 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking
Not the easiest of authors to follow, I need to read it again -soon in order to fully understand it.
Published 16 months ago by AudreyAnne Crosse

5.0 out of 5 stars What is Heaven and Hell?, 26 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
One of the strongest arguments against Christianity is often hurled at the Christian doctrine of Hell. How could a just God, much less a loving God, send anyone to eternal torment? In "The Great Divorce" Lewis presents a different picture of Heaven and Hell-- one that focuses on human free will and the consequences of our own choices. For example, the prideful, mean-spirited man is already in a sort of Hell. The humble, thankful, kind-hearted man is already in a sort of Heaven. "The Great Divorce" takes the reader beyond the fire-and-brimstone pictures of Hell and the streets-of-gold pictures of Heaven to a place of pure spirituality. "The Great Divorce" is MUST reading, a truly great book. Also recommended: "Castle of Wisdom" by Rhett Ellis- a quirky Christian book that will make you laugh and cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most mind-expanding book I have ever encountered, 10 Jan 2003
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
I first encountered this book during my college years, and at the time I thought that this was the most mind-expanding book that I had ever encountered. Picking it back up all these years later, I still feel the same way!
In this book, the incomparable C.S. Lewis takes the reader on a phantasmagoric journey from Hell to Heaven. There are no lakes of fire here or angels sitting on clouds strumming harps. Instead, the damned, who inhabit a lonely Hell of isolation of the mind, are permitted to journey to Heaven, where they can freely renounce their sinful natures and enjoy an eternity of salvation. But, as the narrator discovers, for all too many, their sinful thought forms (no matter how petty) are much more precious to them than all of the rewards of Heaven.
This book opens the reader’s mind to more powerful ways of thinking about sin and about salvation. It certainly made me look at myself and the people around me with new eye. I highly recommend this book to Christians of every denomination and creed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple story to provoke deep reflection, 25 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
For such a short book, CS Lewis manages to encapsulate so much human behaviour, desires, fallacies and questions. Not with despair, but with hope. Personally it has helped me see some of my actions and thoughts in a different light and has given me encouragement to make some changes in my life. Lewis manages to do this through imaginative and colourful imagery in his writing that allows you to enjoy this book as thoroughly as any fictional work, yet manages to ask some difficult but important questions. Excellent!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 7 Jun 2006
T. P. Ang (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
I think this is one of Lewis' very best. He attempts in this work to paint a picture of heaven and hell based on his understanding on Christian theology; and what a picture it turns out to be! I found myself captivated from the beginning with the author's depiction of the confines of hell and its inhabitants, which then become a perfect foil for the soul-lifting glory of heaven that he goes on to describe. What makes the work so powerful is the believability of the picture that is painted, despite its speculative nature and imaginative leaps.

The book has something to offer to everyone. Heaven and hell become platforms from which to probe the depths of human morals and motivations. Every reader will find himself/herself identifying with one or more of the caricatures compelling constructed by the author. The picture of heaven itself and what it represents (read and find out for yourself!) is enough to provoke thoughts about purpose of the earthly life. The fictional nature of the book allows Lewis to convey a Christian message about heaven and hell without coming across as preachy or high-handed.

A masterful combination of Christian theology, vivid imagination and excellent prose. I cannot recommend this book more.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you think..., 24 Feb 1998
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
C.S. Lewis himself says in his preface, "The last thing I wish is to arouse factual curiosity about the details of the after-world." This book kept me wondering just what he WAS trying to say--whether he thought there were choices after death, or whether he was just trying to get us to think about life and the terrible seriousness but potentially glorious finality of our choices. If you are the kind of person who believes common 90s philosophies like, "That's YOUR reality but not mine," you should let Lewis tell you a little story. Aside from being very entertaining, it cuts right through a lot of "intellectual" nonsense, and makes you really THINK, maybe for the first time "outside the box" you didn't know you were in.

In the end, I believe he makes it clear that there are no choices after death. His characters are simply acting out the choices we make within the boundaries of time here on earth, with the element of time removed from the story as it plays out in "heaven" and "hell." While you are caught up in the story, you will be in another whole "world" of Lewis's creation, and will be surprised to find yourself back on earth at the end--but you'll now see it (for a while at least) through different eyes. Reality is absolute, and what is seen is the least real of all.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you could read but one..., 4 July 1999
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
Having read everything published by C.S. Lewis , The Great Divorce is likely the best overall synopsis of his thinking and emphasis. It was the first book of his that I read, and what "hooked" me. If you are unfamiliar with C.S. Lewis, I suggest you start with this little book, which is one of his best. The story is about a bus ride from hell to heaven, and it is a romp to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful fantasy again!!, 25 Mar 1999
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
"The Great Divorce" was a wonderful read. I have read 18 of his works (all I recommend) And I recommend this one to anyone who likes to keep their imaginations fresh and young.
It is fantasy in the way that only Lewis can conjure it. Full of insightful analogy and beautiful, flowing metaphor. The imagery he uses brings to vivid life the hidden thoughts and suspicions we all have about ourselves and the workings of the inner man.
All of Lewis' works of fiction, particularly this one carry-at least for me-that movement of mind toward those things that we see as "through a glass darkly". The process of taking the mind there invokes awe and wonder at the limitlessness of God. Not just God's ways but the infinite and out of timeness of God as a personal entity. I brings me to that place of childlike wonderment, and just when you think it gets no better, or deeper, he reveals better and deeper still till it extends beyond the edge of comprehension of our frail human intellect -and can only be embraced by the heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, 6 Aug 2005
C. Crabtree "ceci x" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
I usually find it a little difficult to get into a book, but this one really caught me and I felt incapable of putting it down.
This book talks about many of the various human weaknesses, many of which we all have and fall down on. It shows us in the examples of the souls who take the "bus ride to heaven" how we can see this in other people. The heart broken mother who is desperate to see her dead son but is actually just wanting to fulfill her own desire for love. The man who cannot believe anything which is at all "supernatural". We see many of the different traits of the unnamed characters in ourselves, and this book gives us a chance to ponder over them and maybe change them.
This book is definitely for those with a vivid imagination. You can feel the mans pain (as always, the character is not named) as he walks on the grass which cuts on his feet and you feel sympathy for a soul who hasnt as yet got to a "saintly state" to appreciate the wonders of this heavenly kingdom.
C. S describes his "dream" of heaven and hell so well and reflects on them in a way I hadnt thought of before. We think of hell as fire and pitchforks, but his idea is so simple that it could just about be real.
But this book. Its worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, thought provoking, and reassuring., 6 Dec 2001
William Fross (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
A very thought-provoking book, which cleverly marries the Catholic idea of purgatory with the Protestant view of Heaven and Hell. It seems to rather detach God from the proceedings, but for those worried about the implications of Hell it is reassuring- not that Hell is made out to be any less terrible, but the nature of Hell and the reasons for people being sent there are made all the more clear. Answers common objections made regarding the doctrine of Hell; maybe more interesting for the Christian, but strongly recommended to all. A Lewis classic.
I haven't given it five stars because it isn't very self-contained; it asks as well as answers a lot of questions. Perhaps this is just the nature of the afterlife as a topic, however.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK BUT HARD TO READ, 16 Sep 2009
Mrs. T. J. Brenchley (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Divorce (Paperback)
i enjoyed this book and read it in one day, but im not the best reader and found some words i didnt know the meaning of, i thought it would be easy to read as i found the lion the witch and the wardrobe easy by the same author, but i still enjoyed it.

The Great Divorce (Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis)
The Great Divorce (Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis) by C. S. Lewis (Paperback - 30 Jan 2001)
Used & New from: 1.65