on 15 December 2000
CS Lewis proves himself an excellent Christian apologist in this fine book. Objections are generally addressed fairly, and whilst it is unlikely to convert a fervent non-believer who has thought extensively on the issues surrounding Christianity, Christians who find themselves wavering in their belief or those who want to look for answers to fundamental questions will be delighted. Undogmatic and thoroughly friendly, this book shows some of the parts of Christianity which are missing from the stereotypes.
on 18 February 2015
Generally a good representation of the Christian faith, although IMO some of Lewis' views are outdated and a few things might be disputed by today's Christians. For example his views on some sexuality issues seem to be products of his time, and his support for the death penalty was something I deemed to be rather shocking. It is important to remember that it was written in the early fifties based on radio talks given just after the Second World War. The book attempts to find the common ground for most Christians, and much of what he says I find myself agreeing with. However some views have changed since then, as a result of what science has been able to show regarding human nature. Nowadays, especially in the field of human sexuality, some things are now accepted widely as variations within the normal spectrum, and not conditions that should be 'corrected' in some way. In the forward, Lewis does say ".. I have a reluctance to say much about temptations to which I myself am not exposed." Generally he keeps to that, it's a pity more don't follow his example...
on 16 February 2000
Have you ever given Christianity a fair chance? Have you really considered the arguments as an adult and not merely put it to one side as children's stories? Well this book may well inspire you to take a second or proper look. This book doesn't try to prove the resurrection or show you how reliable the Gospels are - there are other good books that do. But this book shows why you actually need a God at all and what God will do to you if you accept him.
I would also recommend this book to Christians since his explanations are very helpful especial about the Trinity - a difficult concept at the best of times.
on 6 November 2013
The first part of this book, in which Lewis talks about the law of human nature, or natural law, is very good and very clear. That there is such a law, I accept. I was quite excited at this point because I was agreeing with everything he said and was hoping that I was going to end up being a believer by the time I finished the book. But his argument that the natural law points towards there being a God did not, in the end, convince me.

Lewis too quickly for my liking moves on to the Christian doctrine of salvation without examining if any of its premises make any sense. How are blood sacrifices supposed to work? For me they are superstitious and bloody nonsense. The rest of the book seemed pretty standard Christian fare to me.

I ended up being yet again disappointed. I am a person who would like to believe but I don't think there is any book out there that can convert me.
on 21 May 2001
If you are an atheist or a Christian, then you really should read this book! CS Lewis has an incredible skill at turning what may appear to be an unfathomable tangle of ideas into a clear and cohesive idea that God is real. If you are not a Christian and are interested in the subject, then this is the book you need. If you are already a Christian and want to make sure of your faith, then read this book. Not only does he tell us of why we should think this matter over, he also tells us of the consequence of Christianity, how it affects our lives and why. The issues are dealt with in such a way that they cause little or no offence to anybody who may pick up the book. I strongly recommend this title to anyone with even the smallest hint of interest as it will lead you on to look further into the theological field.
on 26 January 2001
Rather than spurting Dogma, Lewis takes a circuitous route in defense of God's existence. He begins with the idea that most of us share a vague notion of "fair play". Where do we get such a notion? He moves the reader closer and closer to "The God of Christian Theology" as he proceeds. His explanation of the Trinity is the best I have ever read-- topping St. Augustine's and the other Church Fathers'. "Mere Christianity" makes for a fast and enjoyable read. It is not "merely for Christians". For a different sort of defense of Christianity, try "Castle of Wisdom" by Rhett Ellis. It's a bit off the wall, written in the roughest language, and light years behind Lewis in terms of structure-- but a fun read nonetheless.
on 30 January 2002
This is a book that I can not recommend highly enough as both a christian now and a former atheist. Its content has awonderful habit of addressing any objections you have in your mind and guides you along trains of thought that you previously never dreamed of going down.
There are of course always going to be areas in every book that you may think need to be modified slighly. Unless a man is perfect he could not possibly write a perfect book. However, since Lewis was not a fundamentalist, such small objections to what he writes are irrelevent.
Common objection that Lewis is illogical in many of his statements are generally made by people who form their own conclusions on unprovable assumptions, such as the assumption that morality evolved. He goes to great lengths to establish why he believes the way he does, consistantly overcoming objections to his beliefs, but always stating when a particular "theory" is christianity itself, or his own take on it.
This humble manner of pointing out that his own slant on christianity should not be taken for the real thing proves that this is an author worth listening to, an author not attempting to force people to his own line of thinking but merely to explain his line of thinking.
The best part of this book is that
a. it presents the real christianity that transcends denominational interpretation, whilst leaving some theories as to why or how things are the way they are. A nice load of after thoughts to chew on.
b. His immensely British style of abandoning political correctness, which so hinders the depth and honesty of modern publications, is extremely refreshing. This is not a book that is trying to not offend you. It is a book that is trying to be honest and helpful whether it offends you or not. Personally, I find the latter a more useful format.
c. This is a book that truly teaches the reader how to think and how to see the other possibilities of life, rather than regurgitating what our peers have spoon fed us.
The only critiscisms I have ever read of this book are by people who, while accusing Lewis of narrow mindedness, seem unable to understand his book and appear to be locked into a rather closed mind set that can not even appreciate any lterature that happens to disagree with their take on life, and proove by there form of objections that they are guilty of the same illogical narrow mindedness that they accuse Lewis of committing.
on 29 April 2013
An explanation for a docker or a don, this is why Christ lived and died for the human race. This is why good and evil exist not as subjective entities relative to an era, a culture or an individual, but as eternal and unalterable truths. Through the sacrifice of His son Jesus Christ, this is why God has offered us help and why it is totally up to each and every one of us as to whether we reject or accept that offer. Second only to the Bible, 'Mere Christianity' is, in my opinion, the most important piece of literature within reach of a human hand. There are no words that could adequately express the gratitude I feel that this book reached my own hands and its message is now embedded in my mind, heart and soul. Thankyou.
on 28 July 2009
An lay man can understand this book.He asks the question that the normal people ask about God and christianity.Interesting analogies that challenge your thinking and belief system.This book is for a seasoned christian as well as a new christian.Highly Recommend it
on 24 January 2014
Recently re-read this aged 50. When I first read it aged 18 it was like having my eyes opened to a world of possibility, this time it felt like an invitation to an adventure.in the sharp light of his reasoning so much of what else I have read on the topic of faith/ atheism is mere twaddle in comparison.beautiful,life affirming.it's origin was a series of talks given to fighter pilots about to fly into battle in the Second World War.it will continue to be read as long as there are sincere people who want to think honestly about Jesus.looking forward to my third read in thirty years.