4.0 out of 5 stars Bohm people; heads up!
The people reading this review will mostly fall into two categories; there are people who are interested in Krishnamurti and who want to see what he had to say when talking to a sympathetic scientist, and there are people who who are interested in David Bohm (and Physics) and who want to see what Bohm had to say when talking to Krishnamurti.

It was no accident...
Published on 21 Jun 2011 by A. Mutimer

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury is out...
Some of the chapters are incredible, others are torturous. If you're willing to put in a great deal of time to every page, then you will find some thought provoking gems, if you're not - don't bother.
Published 14 months ago by M B Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Bohm people; heads up!, 21 Jun 2011
A. Mutimer "amutimer" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)

It was no accident that these two met, Bohm could see that fragmentation of thought was threatening, not just progress in his own discipline of physics, but also the whole of civilisation, and so, when he heard the extraordinary stuff K had to say about thought and time and that K was also talking of the possibility of the salvation of humanity, he beat a path to K's door. These and other dialogues are the result of those meetings.

Now the only way to understand the meeting of these two *in depth* is either to read it, or you can listen to it as a set of audio files. I did the latter and so this review is not strictly a review of the book, even though the content is nearly identical. But if you want the big conclusion of this book in summary it is this; they divide time into two types and name them variously, but for our purposes we will use a single pair of terms, "earth time" and "psychological time".

Earth time is the one we know, it is the ticking clock. But psychological time is a term many will not understand. The reason for this is that we automatically apply the notion of time inwardly, and we do so because it seems self evident that there can be no exemption from time for the inner world. And yet this division is absolutely fundamental in this dialogue...the reason why will become clear

All right so what is "psychological time" as these two discuss it? It is simple; "I am not right now", "I feel unhappy", "I have done wrong", "wrong has been done to me", "I have had emotional pain", maybe I feel confused, or angry etc etc etc. In short we all have a feeling, right this moment, that things are not right inside us. And so, in face of this, we say to ourselves "I will improve things". We do this by all sort of methods, maybe we just resolve to be better in the future, maybe we go to anger management classes, maybe we will do meditation, maybe we become a monk, maybe we just wait for the feeling to subside and "let time be the healer" or whatever. As soon as you do this in any way you create psychological time because you have decided to use some kind of method and you have decided your salvation lies in applying that method which inevitably is across time. This is what they mean by "psychological time" and it is this psychological time that occupies nearly the entire dialogue.

What K is saying is that psychological time actually creates the "self". The idea of "you", this "me" is composed and created out the psychological past and the psychological future. This seems hard to believe, right? And yet this is the key insight of the entire exchange. To decide if it is true or if it baloney you need to read the book...

Anyway, this structure of having a "me" is the cause of all suffering. The correlate of this is that if you live without time, purely in the now, the "you" will disappear and the suffering will disappear with it. Moreover, at this point your conciousness will have its first access to "the infinite"...

They conclude that if this inner revolution happens in enough cases, the entire world is saved from the misery and pain and the threat of imminent destruction that now engulfs the earth.

OK so what you read above is really what K brought to the party. What did Bohm bring? Well, he brings himself as a good quality sounding board, and he imposes a (mainly) good quality of analytical discipline on the proceedings, but other than that he brings almost nothing. The learning is essentially a one way street...

Those of us who knew of K's stuff before we read this dialogue hear in this dialogue something like a massive airing of things we had already heard K say at least 100 times before, so to that category of reader I say, yes it is interesting, but it will not add much to what you are learning. But those who came to this from the Bohm camp will be brought into a new world...So to Bohm/Physics people I say, give it a go.

In closing I want to say something that arises directly from this exchange but which never becomes explicit; I hope it will be deemed stimulating by the Bohm/Physics people. In Physics there are people who study foundational issues, like time and space and measurement, but what is not yet in the fold of foundational issues in Physics is the biggest foundational issue of all, "I", the ego. Science is trapped in an old paradigm that is absolutely failing us now, as you who read Bohm know only too well. That paradigm has its foundation in the very form of human conciousness i.e. our conciousness is divided into a "me" and "the world". That divide is a *falsehood&* and on that falsehood science rests. It has to, scientists are themselves the holder of this divided conciousness. But the new science will be done by scientists who realise this error in the(ir) foundation. The actual realisation of it is the ending of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Journey of Discovery, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
This book was an excellent read. The relationship that they (Bohm and Krishnamurti) have is awe-inspiring; two great minds delving into the depths of the totality of reality.

One of the things that takes a while to get used is the way Krishnamurti uses words. Sometimes they take on different meanings depending on how and where they are being used, but it all seems to make sense in context. He is sometimes easier to understand when you listen to him as his emphasis help to differentiate what he is talking about.

Having read alot of both Krishnamurti and Bohm I have found the idea that we are mainly perceptual beings, and that our great influence in the world is our intention towards our perception, to be the most profound.

In this book they talk about the 'wrong turn' that mankind has made by fragmenting the world around us, instead of first considering it as a whole. If there is one thing this book has taught me, it is 'you are not your thoughts'.

3.0 out of 5 stars The jury is out..., 29 April 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars A questionable question, 29 April 2014
Nitsan Lehavi "the visualiser" (London,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
It might be a case of my own stupidty but I failed to make any sense of this book. There is however a kind of guru air to it when one struggles (and mostly fails in my case) to perceive the essence of the writing that the struggle itself sometimes creates a meditational state. Good luck to the readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars mind blowing, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
brought this for my son who is 32 and very into this book, you can also get the cd which I will buy,two great minds .thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Over Yourself, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
The 'time' in question is what the participants in this series of conversations refer to as psychological time,that is the habitually created illusion of the self that is in a perpetual struggle for improvement motivated through illusions created by desire,hope and fear.
Various topics surrounding mans inability to let go of his illusory self and relieve himself from suffering are approached from different angles.It took me 200 pages till the ideas started to resonate and I could relate to what was and had been said,or not said, as the no concept as concept approach and the fact that thought tends to end in paradox means that what they are attempting to explain is a state beyond the limits of normal verbal human communication,and is more zen-like but less intellectually elitist.
I found it hard going at times,but not tedious, as the texts are word for word transcripts of exploratory conversations,and as such are not edited for clarity but left in their natural state, so the whole thing relies on the participants ability to express themselves coherently.This they do quite admirably, but there are a few redundancies,and for most of the time I got the impression Krishnamurti was directing the conversation as he was much more familiar with expressing himself and his ideas in a public arena.

3.0 out of 5 stars facing total emptiness, 21 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
well,this is the first book I read that left me with a dreadful empty feeling.The whole of human knowledge,all religious and philosophical thoughts are completely useless.All human effort to capture reality and to find a meaning to it all are just futile attempts leading to catastrophy.
I realise the book is presented as a dialogue but nevertheless I find the language used most irritating,confusing and unclear.Except from breaking down every thinkable concept that gives people hope there is nothing offered to replace it.The only state to be in if mankind doesn't want to self-destruct is to be braindead,just observing life passing by without any action,emotion or thought whatsoever.
It is maybe the wrong book to start learning about Krishnamurti,I'm not giving up on him yet,but this book is I believe quite depressing.
After further study of Krishnamurti's teachings I cann't deny that this man must be one of the greatest geniuses that ever lived.I'm sure Eckhart Tolle and many others had a good read of his books before they became ''enlightened''.So my advise is to study his teachings thouroughly,even if it demands a lot of effort,because this is definitely what we have to consider if we want to save ourselves and the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense Inteligent and Intresting, 26 Oct 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
The intensity and underlying significance of whats discussed by JK and Dr Bohm enquires very deeply into the whole of human life on this planet and provides an insight to our thinking and our conditioning.A definate buy for people who have some backgroud of krishnamurti's philiospy as this book is the closest to what could be written or expressed about that which cannot be captured by thought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
Arrived on time, hope to enjoy its content in the near future. For the time being cannot recommend it since I have not yet read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars end of the road..., 19 May 2004
This review is from: The Ending of Time (Paperback)
something or somebody pointed you to this book, whatever the reason, you have reached the end of the line! buy it, read it, and then give it to someone else. Who knows, mountains just might move...
technology has luckily given us the means to record the actual words of K and we wont be able to twist and turn them to suite our twisted means like the words of a few of those other blokes, you know the jewish joiner and the chubby Indian....

The Ending of Time
The Ending of Time by Dr. David Bohm (Paperback - 21 July 1997)
10.42