Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 1996
I first read Kinship With All Life many years ago, set it aside and then experienced the changes it had made in my thinking. I can never look at the creatures who inhabit the planet with us in the same way again. When I realized the impact the book had made on my world view, I tried to find it again, but couldn't, until recently, when I found it had been reprinted.
It is an amazingly humble, unassuming work, even though it proposes a revolutionary shift in human attitudes. It is very short, and can be read in one sitting, which is how it will be read by most people. Never preachy, it uses humor and anecdote to gently persuade the reader to behold the world in a new way.
Maxine Carpenter
on 5 June 1999
I've witnessed old Hopi farmers singing to their crops. I've been with Navajos, while deer hunting, and watched them sing to ravens...to ask them to show them where to hunt deer. I,ve talked to coiled rattle snakes, and seen them relax...and slither away. I'm surprised at the arrogance of humans, assuming..that intelligence is an exclusive domain. This book will, I hope, open closed minds to the life around them...and encourage dialogue...with other life forms.
on 18 July 1999
This book will change forever the way you look at animals and life, in general.
on 12 January 2008
This is officially my favourite book of all time. What an inspirational read. It's the kind of book that you buy multiple copies of and send to friends as presents. It's hard to find another book to compare it to but if you love animals and believe that they hold their own innate intelligence then you have to get this book. It will change your outlook on life.
on 15 April 1997
Being human is a lonely affair. At least, for most of us. Part of the problem is that we don't give equal recognition to any life form unless it is limited to two legs. After reading Kinship With All Life, I guarantee that your loneliness will significantly diminish, unless you are one of those "two-leggeds" whose arrogance takes precedence over truth. What truth? That we are not solely the creatures for whom the planet Earth was created. Boone foreshadowed the 21st C. by a good 60 years in his ideas that there is more to nonhuman creatures than meets the eye. Carrying that torch in our time is Daniel Quinn, whose book, Ishmael has stirred hearts and controversy all over the globe. Another tiein is When Elephants Weep, a review of the scientific material available on the emotional lives of animals. Some of us spend fruitless hours wondering if we are alone in the universe yet never stop to apply that to Earth. We take for granted we are. Add more meaning to your life on levels heretofore only imagined. Read Boone and lose both your arrogance and loneliness in the process. Zoe Calder
on 16 August 1999
This book stimulated much more discussion and thought than its slim contents would indicate. It broadens the concept of communication far beyond current human concepts.
on 17 April 2011
J. Allen Boone's Kinship With All Life is one of the best little books I have ever read in terms of delivering just what I wanted. He clearly believed in the connection of all beings, source energy, the oneness of all creation.
Anyone who reads of Boone's experiences with creatures cannot help but question the attitudes of man toward other types of life; you may never swat another fly!
There is a great deal of current interest in animal communication and if you are looking for more evidence or hope to find an insight into communicating then I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Boone has an ability to write sensitively but can also be very funny and his encounters with Strongheart are wonderful.
Enjoy!
on 22 June 2004
This is a most inspirational book, a true classic that has been the basis for many writer's continued study in the area of animal-human communication, including my own with horses.
Do read it .....
on 6 July 1997
This book is not about zoology at all--it is about the universal gift of communication and how we use it (and fail to use it); Boone simply used animals as convenient tools to teach a very valuable lesson. It is a very quick and charming read, for adults and children--the message is not lost. I keep several copies handy for gifts, and it has always had positive results.
on 27 February 2015
If you have any kind of animals this is a book for you but of course for all animal lovers. Dr Dolittle invited us to 'speak to the animals' and this is book that has the same message but maybe on another level. The initial story of the book is about the German shepherd Strongheart who

Strongheart was a famous movie dog in the 1920ies. He came to stay with the writer for some time and a very strong bond developed between the two. This was of course a very well trained dog and when you read about their time together he seems very human. Ah, but stop... this is exactly the point. Boone means that we humans always put ourselves above the animals and think ourselves superior. However, in the dealings with Strongheart the writer discovers time after time that the dog has his own private sphere and life which is on an equal level with himself. Mentally, we have to see each other as equal creatures and try to find the level where we can communicate with each other. Words are not always necessary although we often seem to think so. There are many fantastic stories in the book on how intelligent this dog was. You wish you had a dog like that to teach you a thing or two!

Having been very successful with Strongheart, Boone continues to investigate people who live very closely with their animals and seem to have a special bond, for example indians and their horses, bedouins and their camels and horses. They see their animals as equals and all of us have been created by a higher authority to understand each other. You have to open your mind to one another. You think though that to reach this universal language and understanding with animals it works with a dog like Strongheart. However, Boone tells in his book on how he managed to use this universal language of love to also capture the spirits of other animals. In the book he tells the stories how he befriended a skunk, ants, earthworms and Freddie the fly...!

This book came as a recommendation from my friend Yana who already have adopted a universal language with everything around here. She had a problem with mice in her kitchen. Everything had been tried to get rid of them, even a call to a company specialising in these kind of things. Nothing helped. After having read this book she took her time, sat down and talked with the mice and some time afterwards they had left her house! Exactly what happened with Boone and his ants which is described in the book. I therefore am now inclined to sit down in my garage, talk to the mice there in a friendly manner, tell them I love them but I don't really want them in my garage during the winter and maybe they should just try to find another resting place for the next winter! I will keep you posted!