4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read
Published on 17 Feb 2009 by Foxylock

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, adequately told
The amazing stories of the first five woman to climb K2. These are not normal people. A normal sane person does not think "Hmm... I'm several months pregnant so maybe it's too dangerous to climb at 8000m in the Himalayas. So I'll just solo the North face of the Eiger instead."

The problem is that the author tends to let her own views leak onto the page and...
Published on 29 Aug 2011 by Tom, Edinburgh

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 17 Feb 2009
This review is from: Savage Summit: The Life and Death of the First Women of K2: True Stories of the 5 Women Who Climbed K2 (Paperback)
K2 is one of the most dangerous places on Earth, everything here can kill you from the climate to the environment and possibly the most insidious killer of all, the altitude. Unlike Everest which has become little more than a difficult guided tour, K2 has no tourist climbers, no Walter Mitty types, it's a technical and logistical nightmare that attracts the cream of the mountaineering elite which quintessentially is thought to be male.

Jennifer Jordan sets the record straight with a collection of biographies on the first five women to summit K2. Tragically none of these woman survive today, three having died on K2 during the descent and the other two losing their lives on other climbs. Incidentally there is only one woman alive today who can claim to have set foot on the worlds second highest mountain.

Wanda Rutkiewicz ( 1943-1992 ) was an extraordinary polish climber who summited K2 in 1986 but tragically fell to her death on the slopes of Kangchenjunga. Liliane Barrard ( 1948-1986 ) and Julie Tullis ( 1939-1986 ) both perished on the descent after a superhuman effort and a successful summit bid. The controversial and troubled French climber Chantal Mauduit ( 1964-1998 ) summited in 1992 but her luck finally ran out on Dhaulagiri when an avalanche killed her and a Sherpa. Possibly the most emotive story is that of Alison Hargreaves ( 1962-1995 ) she died during her descent of K2 leaving behind two young children. Alison had stood up to the criticisms of a male dominated sport and even put many of her denigrators to shame on the slopes.

All of these women were treated with contempt, were verbally and even sexually assaulted. Each one wanted to climb and be treated with equality, and each one went about achieving that in their own way.These women had to conquer attitude as well as altitude and sometimes it was difficult to ascertain which was more difficult. I enjoyed this book it's written in an engaging manner and the meticulous research is evident throughout, It's a welcome change from the macho " I stared death in the face " type books that abound in this particular genre and the stereotype of the typical climber is well and truly blown off the mountain. If you enjoy adventure stories but are bored with the relentless machismo, then this book might prove to be a refreshing change.

4.0 out of 5 stars An informative book, 19 July 2010
B. T. Jorgensen (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
Having recently read the Clint Willis book 'The Boys Of Everest' I saw 'Savage Summit' on the Amazon mountaineering book list and thought that this would help to give me an insight into Himalayan climbing from a woman's point of view. I wasn't disappointed and I found 'Savage Summit' to be a very readable and interesting account of the lives and climbs of the five main women featured in the book.
My only real criticism of the book is that I would have found it helpful to have had a good photograph or diagram of K2 with the climbing routes marked on it. I had to look elsewhere for this information. Nevertheless I do recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about life and death in the high mountains of the Himalayas.The Boys of Everest: The Tragic Story of Climbing's Greatest Generation

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 2 July 2012
I really enjoy the book. The life stories of all the women were so interesting and inspiring. As I do not know much about climbing I can't tel anything about accuracy of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, a proper page turner., 28 May 2012
Lucky I was on a long haul flight because I found this book hard to put down. As an armchair mountaineer I've read quite a number books on the subject covering triumphs and tragedies and I would consider this book certainly up there with the best. It was very well researched and well written. Its gives a detailed insight into the climbers' early years right up until the tragic events. It was nice to read about women who have achieved in this field as its usually men. This doesn't happen to me very often but I was disappointed when the book finished. I've read a number of books since however none had me as gripped as this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 31 May 2014
Good read, fairly honest writing about these women. They weren't always likeable, but they were determined, smart and immensely strong in what was and still is, a male dominated pursuit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth looking at! A really great read., 18 May 2014
M. A. Reeves - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed it. Events and stories about individuals seemed to be laid out before the reader without bias, simply stating facts rather than getting embroiled amongst any controversy. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it rose above it all giving a really good, un-biased overview.
People set out to do something challenging, raise their heads above the parapet, and there is always some big mouth troll somewhere putting a spoiler on it, I have experienced this myself first hand. I was not surprised that the mountaineering world was no different, all those male ego's. That is what makes these women and their achievements even more remarkable as far as I am concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping book, 10 May 2014
A book that transports you to the mountains, where you experience a range of emotions as you engage with the incredibly courageous, ambitious and singleminded women

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 25 Mar 2014
I started to read this book on a school day trip, as soon as I got home I picked it up again. When I put it down it was dark and bedtime. Beautifully crafted, many stories woven into one. Inspirational and thought provoking it got me polishing my ice axe and planning my next outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and wrenching at the same time, 4 Feb 2014
this book paints a vivid picture of the K2 experience and of the life's of the woman who climbed it. such a terrible loss

5.0 out of 5 stars Top read, 15 May 2013
This is a very readable book about the first 5 women who climbed K2 but then paid the ultimate price in the mountains. If you ignore the occasional bit of man bashing, this is a top read.