4.0 out of 5 stars For the experimenter, 6 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed reading the book as much for the authors comments and stories as for the recipes. I have tried some of the main course recipes. They are easy to follow, but not quick (at least the few I have tried). There are many steps in some of the main courses so read the recipe first. Having said that I like the idea that we get the original way the dish was prepared by the author's parents/family, etc., and then from the author herself, now living in the US, tips on how to substitute for items, how to freeze most of the recipes for convenience and what may be done in advance. Some of the ingredients are a little difficult to obtain in my neck of the woods but I find that I am able to source the ingredients, even if I cannot get them at the local Waitrose. I also like the labneh bag idea - I was using cheese cloth but I prefer her idea!!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last. Stunning Flavours and Reliable Results., 21 Aug 2009
Agiliani (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I thought that my large collection of Middle Eastern cookery books was good until I found this book. It stands head and shoulders above everything I own-(sorry Claudia). Coming from an Arab background myself, I was constantly looking for a book that would do justice to the cuisine and by God this book does it! It has everything I was looking for and more. Everything else pales in comparison. There are recipes that you could rustle up in 20 minutes for a week night supper and then there are the time consuming gourmet masterpieces that are fit for weekend entertaining.
There's a nice mix of well known recipes (hummus, tabbooleh, falfel, kibbeh) and lesser known but gorgeous recipes.

I don't write many book reviews but I felt compelled to with this book. The recipes are constantly requested by friends, and my sisters all agree that it's (whisper it) better than my mother's recipes.

I highly recommend the falafel recipe (much better than anything store bought), the shawerma recipe (marinated pieces of chicken or lamb) has become a regular week night fixture in my house, the kabsa (layers of aromatic rice and tender lamb pieces) and sayyadiyah (fillets of fried fish served over seasoned rice, onions and pine nuts) and kibbeh all get complements and recipe requests.

Delicious Soups, fresh and zingy salads, all sorts of mains, yummy sides and appetisers, delectable pastries and luscious desserts make this book the best on the market.

One last note. Some people have mentioned that some ingredients like rose water or dried limes are hard to source. The vast majority of the recipes contain things that are easily found in a supermarket. Where unusual ingredients are called for substitutes or suppliers are given.

My search for the ultimate Middle Eastern book is over.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Book, Two Uses, Multiple Benefits, 14 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I looked at this book initially to view the recipes. I found these easy to follow, and the food was authentic, tasty and healthy.
The surprise came with the total content of the book - not only was it informative about the culture, rituals and habits of the Arab World, it was also a window to view the day-to-day life of the author, together with that of her family, friends and community. A new standard has been set for the lifestyle and cookery authors.
I now have two copies of the book - one for the kitchen and another for the coffee table. Enjoy reading, cooking, tasting and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 18 Jan 2006
By A Customer
Arab Table is a wonderful book of recipes and stories of Arab culture. We have tried many recpies and all were fabulous and quite easy to make. I am not Arab but want to learn more about this 2000 year old culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's is much more than a cookery book, 16 Jan 2009
The author provideds a cultural insight. There is a good selection of receipes and some nice photography. What I think is good is that she does not divert away from the main function of a cook book.

The salad dressing for the fattoush is very good.

ARRAY(0xb3663138)

The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions
The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions by May S. Bsisu (Hardcover - Sep 2005)
19.90