Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 3 March 2005
I am a fan of this kind of story. Unfortunately authors who can write this kind of thing well are few and far between. Jim Butcher is one, Rachel Cane is another and of course there's Laurell Hamilton and her Anita Blake series (early books anyway) Kim Harrison easily fits in with their illustrious company.

The first book, Dead Witch Walking, set up a wonderful world in which post Turn America is inhabited by humans and Inderlanders. Inderlanders include species such as elves, pixies, witches (if it uses magick it's not human), demons, vampires... you name it. Human authority after the Turn has devolved to the FIB, an organisation built from the remnants of pre-Turn police organisations such as the FBI. Inderlanders, due to their use of magick, need a different authority to keep them in line, namely Inderland Security or I.S for short.

Rachel Morgan used to be an I.S runner -- one of their operatives, but in the first book she finally quits and sets up her own agency with a vampire for a partner, and another partner in the form of Jenks the pixie (a father of 30 kids)

I found the first book a little slow at first, but after the first chapter things liven up quickly. Not so with the second book. It's off to a roaring start with Rachel stealing a fish of all things from a baseball team. The mascot is protected by werewolves, but Rachel is a good witch and she gets away with her fishy heist. Rachel gets stiffed for her fee and spends a lot of her time looking over her shoulder from then on.

This is a great book, and in my opinion is the better of the two. Buy it now. You won't be disappointed.
on 23 May 2010
Just as good as the first, this book is enchanting and gut clenching. Rachel is at her best and growing in character as is Jenks, my fav. The book keeps you hanging on right the way through and without a doubt is as good if not better than the first. The ending as in the first book is great really does have you staying awake all night to read the last few chapters.

Rachel's true powers begin to show themselves and a few characters begin to show there real beings and fears including Trent, but is he as bad as he seems or is there light at the end of the tunnel? And why do girls always like the bad boys!?

Read it you wont be sorry!
on 30 September 2011
Kim Harrison, The Good, The Bad and the Undead. If ever there was a world which needed to be created in celluloid this is it. There is a terrible event that wipes out people and forces the weird and wonderful into the light of day. The world is recovering but slowly. Rachael Morgan is my kind of woman, strong, independent but wonderfully messed up. Her relationship with her vampire house mate is so real and leaps off the page. The only time I've read a vampire/mortal relationship that feels simpler is The Prophecy by Sarah Luddington. Rachael Morgan is one of the most accessible heroines I've ever read, so follow in the steps we find in The Hollows and enjoy the new world, where witches run with vampires and hunt evil in their world.
on 3 February 2005
Great book. Highly recommended and satisfying read. The pace is so fast you have to run to keep up with it. Rachel is hired by the FIB to find who is murdering witches. You meet all the great characters from DWW, some new ones are introduced and there is definately lots going on. If you like vampires, demons, pixies and other strange beings, this book is for you.
Nearly all the questions from DWW are answered, but Ms Harrison has found lots of new, interesting plot lines that make you want to read book three (out later this year) as soon as possible.
I would recommend you read DWW first as an introduction to the world of the Hollows. But this book works as a stand alone.
I enjoyed DWW, thought it was a great book for a new author, was'nt totally convinced by the mink episode, but looked forward to this one. I have to say this is better than DWW and I shall continue to buy Ms Harrison's books with eagerness.
on 7 February 2005
What can I say, Kim Harrison is a god send!! It's been ages since I've found a series of books that I'm in love with till I'm sat counting the days until the next release (p.s. book 3 comes out this summer). I love the character of Rachel Morgan who seems to be imperfect enough to identify with and still manages to find ways of of impossible situations. Rachel is an earth witch, an Inderlander, which includes witches, pixies, vampires...etc. The Turn occured when Inderlanders came out of the closet so to speak. Why'd they come out? Read the book and find out :D!
She's finding it hard to make the rent and ends up agreeing to be a consultant for the FIB ( not FBI) which is what's left of the human police force after the Turn. A serial killer is on the loose hunting witches and Rachel has a good idea who's doing it. Many questions from the previous book are answered in this novel and it could be a bit heady to just jump into this for a new reader. For returing junkies of Harrison, we find out what Trent really is; skeletons from Rachel's past; and who sent a demon after her in the first book.
With new characters; hilarious pixies and the deepening mystery of Trent Kalamack this series seems to only be getting better.
on 29 June 2016
Even better than book 1, this was completely addicting.

Poor Rachel, she really gets in the middle of the worst kind of trouble. She really is a waling disaster but I think that's part of what makes her so likeable.

I loved Al's part in this. He's completely deranged, calculating, manipulative and utterly charming. He's definitely one of my favourite characters in the series. Looking back, I'm picking up things I missed the first time round and watching his and Rachel's relationship grow all over again is very enjoyable.

Trent in this was slightly less heinous and a tad more charming than in book one. Rachel still completely hates his guts which is just excellent. I've never been a fan of insta-love and Trent and Rachel's relationship is the complete opposite. She mostly hates him, very occasionally tolerates him if he's useful and more often than not she trying to arrest him. We didn't see Trent a while lot in this book but what was there was very fun to read.

My heart broke for Ivy in this one, it truly did. No-one deserves what Piscary did to her, least of all Ivy. I always thought Ivy kind of got lost in the last few books so I really enjoyed her story in this book.

Obviously I love this series, its characters and the world and this installment was no exception to my fan girling.
on 12 January 2012
I'm going to keep this simple. If you're thinking about reading this book, you've probably read the first in the series, Dead Witch Walking. Therefore you know what you're getting: a pacey, well-written adventure with interesting characters and a really well-imagined alternative version of our world which, according to my friend who also enjoys this series, just keeps getting better and richer in detail. This is a worthy sequel, even though I'm already finding the Rachel-Ivy dynamic a little repetitive. Also, if I'm going to be picky, if Jenks strikes another Peter Pan pose, I may just have to scream - Jenks is a great character, but apparently a little limited in his body language. No matter - this is still a great book which I thoroughly recommend and I'm really looking forward to reading more.

However, I read the Kindle version of this book and this is where I've been disappointed. I was lucky enough to get this for the Kindle for just 99p and I'm sure some of you think, well, you get what you pay for. However, if I download a £3.99 mp3 album, I don't expect it to be full of glitches and faults. The Kindle version works just fine but it feels as if the typed text has been quickly scanned as a pdf and only briefly checked. As a result, the presentation of the text is poor - it seems like every few pages two words are put together without a space - hardly a major problem, but irritating. Occasionally, it also feels like the grammar is wrong and tense endings have been missed, making sentences awkward. Finally, in some cases, it seems as if the words are just wrong, making the sentence gibberish. The example that pops into my mind was early on: a character is described as "dark completed", when I think the original was probably "dark-complexioned". I realise some of you may think I am being incredibly pedantic, but my concern is that with the Kindle taking off, we as readers need to make sure we get the books that we (and the authors) deserve - if we let these poor standards slide without comment, all we will ever get are sloppy versions which irk and annoy.

So, hopefully the publishers will take note and take greater care in the future. For now, prospective readers may want to consider the format they buy in. The book will not disappoint, but its presentation might...
on 11 December 2013
This is a great follow-on book to the first one. I loved how the story developed and the characters became a bit more cemented. There is a pretty clear character arc so far and I love watching her grow into her powers, learn her history and "get stuck into it". Rachel has a headstrong and bolshy demeanor and I enjoy that the author has no qualms having the other characters telling her to "grow up", but better she is humble enough to learn from her mistakes herself. It's really refreshing to have a strong female lead that we see developing from the beginning of her story rather than half-way through when she's quite over-powered already. This series reminds of the Mercy Thompson series, she's a likable, humble, determined character as well. Although they are still very different! Fans of urban fantasy will love this book. Buy it!
on 29 November 2010
Kim Harrison, The Good, The Bad and the Undead. If ever there was a world which needed to be created in celluloid this is it. There is a terrible event that wipes out people and forces the weird and wonderful into the light of day. The world is recovering but slowly. Rachael Morgan is my kind of woman, strong, independent but wonderfully messed up. Her relationship with her vampire house mate is so real and leaps off the page. Rachael Morgan is one of the most accessible heroines I've ever read, so follow in the steps we find in The Hollows and enjoy the new world, where witches run with vampires and hunt evil in their world.
on 16 June 2010
This is the second book in the series about Rachel Morgan, ex-IS runner, white witch and now paranormal investigator. The first book was a solid enough read, introducing the reason behind humans and Inderlanders and the characters which inhabit the Hollows, while being nothing spectacular. This book ramps up the action, suspense, excitement, eroticism, terror - it is a whirlwind of a story that doesn't let you breathe until the last page has been turned.

Here Rachel is experiencing trouble meeting her rent payments and suffering from a lack of cases that would provide her income. So she ends up taking on a case through the FIB through necessity - someone is killing leyline witches in a gruesome manner and the FIB want to know who. Rachel finds it easy enough to accept the case, since it seems as though she'll also be able to return to her investigation of Trent Kalamack, a mysterious figure who managed to evade being taken in by the FIB in the first book of the series.

In the course of her investigation Rachel manages to gain a familiar, find out Kalamack's heritage, come to the attention of the master vampire Piscary, take Nick to meet her mother and meet again the demon she dubs Big Al. There are a number of twists in this book that kept me guessing, and I was glad to see the characters gain more and more dimensions.

I particularly love the little details that help to flesh out the world of the Hollows - everything from the fact that Jenks the pixy wears red if he is travelling across the territories of other pixies and fairies to show his harmless intentions; to the fact that humans have an innate distrust of tomatoes since they carried the Angel virus that caused a quarter of humanity to die out. Harrison has also created a menacing otherworld in the form of the ever-after, which lends power to leylines and happens to be where demons roam - I enjoy the way she turns fairytales on their head by showing that rather than finish 'and they lived happily every after', they actually finish 'and they lived in the ever-after'.

As well as the excitement, the violence is ramped up in this book - and some of it is not for queasy stomachs. The descriptions of the witch deaths and Ivy's nasty experience left me with raised eyebrows.

All in all, Harrison has produced a book that is heavy on the entertainment and light on any of the issues I had with the first book. The characters are intriguing, especially Al the demon and Trent, about whom we learn a great deal more in this book. In fact, a lot of the niggling little mysteries from the first novel are cleared up here in an outstanding fashion. I simply cannot wait to move onto the third in the series!