5.0 out of 5 stars A "How to Write Better" guide which works
This is a outstanding little book for writers who are serious about improving their fiction writing. It has detailed chapters on "Show and Tell", "Point of View", "Dialogue Mechanics", "Interior Monologue" and other techniques which will help make your writing more professional. Each theme is illustrated with entertaining examples and each chapter includes writing...
Published on 18 Dec 2005 by 100wordreviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but pity about the cartoons
As many reviewers have already testified, this is a very useful book for aspiring fiction writers hoping to get into print. The advice is generally sound, and the examples of what or what not to do are mostly clear and well-chosen. At the price, its excellent value for money.

A couple of minor criticisms. The book is written - perhaps to some degree...
Published 21 months ago by Andy Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything the other books have and a little more, 3 Jan 2008
This review is from: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print (Paperback)
I really like the book. It is about the mechanics of writing and doesn't have chapters on how to sit yourself down and whether you need a computer or not. This for me was very good. The book tells you how to go about picking faults in your manuscript and then correcting them. I bought a fair few books of this ilk trying to get the sort of info i wanted and whilst this isn't the onlt one that had it, it did have everything and all weel presented and easy to understand. I don't really do the exercises offered but the examples are very good and really get the point across.

If you need a book on the mechanics of writing then this is a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Brilliant, anybody writing a novel should buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves a lot of heartache, 13 Jun 2014
Want to improve your writing but not sure where to start?
Need a contructive critic to look over your prose?
This book helped me spot why I didn't like patches of my writing, and directed me on ways to improve it.
Brilliant book. Essential for all budding fiction writers!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I read it, 21 May 2014
Stuart Walsh (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I've always been good at English grammar but being able to put grammatically correct sentences together is not the same as constructing carefully honed fiction.
I deliberately decided to buy this book towards the end of the writing process.
This first draft is little more than the place where you get your ideas of the story and characters written down; very little of this will get through to the end product The second draft is where you correct most of the mistakes you realised your story had when you finished the first draft. The third draft should begin to look like the finished story but it's when you're on the fourth (or fifth) rewrite the advice in this book is needed.
The final draft is where you require advice as to how to ensure your narrative is throughly entertaining and keeps your readers hooked and turning the pages. It is at this point your book must contain believable characters that leap from the page conversing with passages of coruscating dialogue. This book can help you do that, I only wish I'd read it when I wrote my first novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this., 9 Mar 2014
If you write fiction, you need this. It tells you lots of stuff other books don't. Excellent. Wish I'd read it years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book worth buying, 6 Mar 2014
This is a book that will be useful to those fiction writers who are trying to improve their self-editing skills. Why pay a professional editor 500 to edit your book, when with a bit of help you could spot and fix many of the dumb errors and much of the bad writing yourself?

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable guide for editing a novel, 18 Feb 2014
It is embarrassing just how many times I had one of those moments where I just had to slap my forehead and mutter "idiot" to myself as I was reading this book.

I have just finished the first draft of a novel and wanted to get some tips on how to edit it. Trust me when I say that you will almost not want to read this book as you will suddenly think back to all those scenes in your novel where you have done exactly what you shouldn't have and the task looming ahead of you will seem so much greater.

That being said it is rare to finish a book and feel as though I have genuinely learned a lot. There are so many pointers and guidelines in this book that I will definitely re-read until they become gospel in my mind and a second nature when I am writing. I have heard writers talk about some of these things before but it takes the specific examples in this book to make you really understand exactly where you have been making mistakes even when you didn't realise you had been before.

Overall I have a feeling that I will find this book invaluable going forward an I really can't recommend it highly enough to anyone looking to edit their own fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 12 Nov 2013
One of the better 'how to' books for aspiring novelists. It gives good practical advice (with examples) on how to prune back your work to something readable. I'd say this is the only self-editing book you really need.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Insight top the editing process, 2 Aug 2013
Mr. Stephen F. Male "Steve" (England) - See all my reviews
This book seems to provide a very good overview and insight into the editing process. How much of it can be adopted by the novice to self-edit their work is another matter. However it does provide some good tips that will be of value to those new to the writing discipline and dare I say it to some already published authors.

At the very least by following their more practical tips you will improve your manuscript and then if you choose to hire in some help the process will be simpler, less fraught and less costly. Even if you don't get further editing help the tightening up of the writing and focus on better ways to present your work will make it more suitable for the self-publishing route.

It is true the authors have the "temerity" to suggest improvements to venerated authors, but as these are mostly for books past copyright this should be viewed as a sensible update for modern tastes and styles.

So given one cannot expect a single book to make anyone a professional editor it deserves its 5 star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars getting help for self editing, 23 July 2013
I have not got all the way through this book yet but the advice I have obtained so far is very good and a big help to a novice writer.

8.11