on 9 April 2015
I enjoy Laura Guhrke's writing but up until this week I had only read one book from the Guilty Pleasures Series, that being Tremore's and Daphne's book - Guilty Pleasures (Guilty Series Book 1) which I greatly enjoyed.

I'll give Ms. Guhrke credit for coming up with some interesting characters and interesting storylines. In this book, we have Dylan Moore, a very gifted composer who's pretty much lost his gift since falling from a horse and hitting his head on a rock which resulted in noise in his head 24/7. He can no longer hear his beautiful music due to the noise - neither can he sleep unless he's totally worn out or takes laudanum or smokes hashish. Deciding the misery of the noise and the loss of his gift makes his life no longer worth living, he takes his pistol in hand and goes on a walk intending to do himself in.

Instead, Dylan comes across the path of a lovely char woman in a deserted concert hall. Her name is Grace Cheval and she's playing a violin instead of cleaning. Interesting thing - the sound in Dylan's head is lessened and he begins to hear bits of music while he's in Grace's presence. Grace plays for Dylan while chiding him for considering taking his life and then abruptly departs. Although Dylan tries his best to find her, he cannot until a few years later he sees her playing with the musicians at a private ball he's attending.

By this time, Dylan has been on a path of extreme debauchery to try and deal with the continual sound in his head. This part troubled me. I hate to read about the level of debauchery the hero has gone on, is continuing to be on, etc. We don't actually have to go along with him on most of his debauchery activities, but we do get a few details of what that life entailed and continues to entail. Dylan finds where Grace lives and insists she come and be his daughter's governess. It doesn't do any good to resist, because he figures out what Grace wants and promises her he will give it to her if she will live in his home for one year.

Thus, the story really begins and we are privy to Dylan's madness for Grace, her resistance toward him, mostly due to some serious regrets in her past having to do with a similar situation with another man. One good thing is that Grace and Dylan's daughter, Isabel, eventually become bosom buddies. I loved Isabel's character. She was an illegitimate child who was thrust upon Dylan when she was eight years old. Dylan didn't even remember Isabel's mother, but there's no denying she's his child, for she looks just like him and inherited his musical genius.

It takes quite awhile to iron out Dylan's debauched lifestyle and eventually he makes choices that contribute to trust between him and Grace. In the end, there were some very sweet parts to this book, but, unfortunately the reader has to endure a bit of hell to get there along with Grace while she suffers through the ups and down of loving a man like Dylan. I do plan to read Dylan's brother, Ian's book, She's No Princess (Guilty Series Book 4). I had to skip The Marriage Bed (Guilty Series Book 3) for now due to the long years of infidelity by the hero. Not sure I can take that type of story.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2008
This is the 1st time I've read Laura Lee Guhrke, and have read 4 of her book in this past week. I started of with:
'And then he kissed her,' liked Harry and Emma and it was an interesting story.
And then read 'The Wicked Ways of a Duke,' I didn't like the hero in this book, at all, and the heroine was far to naive in my opinion.
Next came 'Guilty Pleasures'- Anthony and Daphne were such well-round characters. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. In fact it was a perfect romance.

And finally 'His Every Kiss'

What a great story this was, filled with emotional angst and finally redemption.

I love the tortured hero premise, and I love Dylan Moore.
The story line is excellent.
The tortured music genius, who could no longer compose because of the terrible noise in his head. He fell off his horse and hurt his head and now lives a rakehell life to compensate for peace.
And Grace, a breath of fresh air, who is his saving grace, indeed. He finds peace only with her. But sadly, he is not what she needs, even if she wants him. Almost a decade ago, she scandalised her family by eloping with a temperamental french artist and living with him in sin before she married him. Now a widow, she will retain her dignity, even if it means selling oranges in the street. She will not bring more shame upon herself, by being the mistress of another temperamental person who lives only for his music. Never mind that she was falling for him.
Isabel, Dylan's brilliantly talented, 8yr old daughter is the catalyst that brings about the change in him, and he learn to love.
Slowly, Grace learns to trust again and Dylan learns what love is really all about.
Watching them fall in love was emotionally ful-filling reading.

One squibble though: The grovel scene could have been longer and more involved, and I too thought it desperately needed an epilogue. Would have been nice to seen the reconciliation between Grace and her family.
Inspite of this, it still was a brilliant story.

Well done LLG!