Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 27 December 2003
There was more than enough material for Layton in dealing with Eric’s fears about his illness and Camille’s lack of self-confidence and, instead of introducing irrelevant and uninteresting characters, she could have spent more time showing the development of Eric and Camille’s friendship and Eric’s growing realisation of his feelings for Camille. I would have enjoyed the book far more had Layton developed the plot in that way.
Nevertheless, as always it was good to see characters from previous books, though as in each case Layton seems to focus on Drum and Rafe and their spouses, with brief glimpses of Gilly and Damon. While Ewen Sinclair, one of my favourite characters from the series, does make an appearance in this book, it’s almost entirely offstage, and Hathaway Wycoff is only mentioned. More of these two in future books, Layton! Although, since Gilly’s younger sister Betsy seems to be of marriageable age now, I suspect that her story is about to come - and if that’s the case, we’ll have to see more of Ewen. Or so I hope!