on 26 September 2012
I really enjoyed this book by Rachel Ashwell, which is about how to treasure hunt and what to do with your finds. It's full of great images, and gorgeous interiors, which have given me lots of ideas for my own home. Be aware, though, that the drawback is Ashwell herself, who simply cannot keep herself out of her books. Every one of them reads like an 'Aren't I marvellous?' vanity project, but you just have to ignore this and concentrate on extracting useful information. Many of the interiors shown would be impossible to achieve without an army of cleaners, restorers and decorators doing all the tough work (for more hands-on books, try Jocasta Innes, who knows how to get her hands dirty), but the Shabby Chic look itself is so delightful that I will keep on buying Ashwell books unti they run out.
on 17 March 2001
In this book, the author show's you how to repair numerous household items, find cheap accesories and make the barest room look simply excellent. The steps here make a shabby house look so so chic.
on 12 April 2003
This book is informative and beautifully illustrated. It has useful information, and hints and tips, but I found I was more drawn to the picures rather than the text. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes perusing through magazines while drinking their coffee, as I think it is more suited being browsed rather than used as a 'bible' to Shabby Chic.
on 20 April 2014
Lovely book with great photos but would really have liked more instruction on how to achieve the look but a lovely book and worth buying for reference
on 11 September 2015
Very nice addition to all my other Rachel books, with some lovely pictures, just wish there had been more
practical decorating tips ! Still a great book though !
on 27 December 2012
great book, love anything to do with shabby chic , and would recommend this author to any one who likes shabby chic.
I personally do not like anything called shabby or chic. I had to read this book in self-defense. My wife is always trying to sneak this stuff in the house. Just today I spotted a white lace ceramic plate protruding from the plant ledge.
I suggest that if you must do this to do it correctly. This book is very helpful in not only what to combine, but also where to find it. Pay close attention to the resources in chapter 8. Rachel does not skimp on the color pictures and several views of the same thing.
If you attempt this with out a guide you will end up with shabby trash. Imagine a leopard sofa next to a red wall.
on 3 February 2016
Arrived on time,nice book very pleased with it,good price too!.
on 5 April 2014
It wasn't what I was expecting but still an interesting book
on 5 October 2014
Very nice books & very well priced