5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, emotional and absolutely fabulous
Published on 19 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for tennis fans
His usual readable and reflective writing, but with lots of tennis technicalities. I did. Finish it and the ending was not what I thought it would be
Published 7 months ago by ms f

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, emotional and absolutely fabulous, 19 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
One would think that Mr. Verghese could not come up with anything better than "My Own Country". He has certainly proved me wrong with this book. The intertwining of tennis with his growing relationship with David is a work of art, and I doubt if many authors have the ability to write with such senstivity. Someone once said that a good book is one which makes you wish that the author is your personal friend, and you can sit down with him and talk about his book. This book did excatly this for me. I wish I could have sat down with Mr. Verghese and discussed his relationship with David. I found myself so immersed in the book that I felt a part of all the emotions, the joys and the desperations as if I myself was going through them.
And in the end, I sniffled, enough for a concerned fellow passengar on the train to ask, "Are you okay mate?"
Don't miss it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful writing, 3 Feb 2009
I love this book to bits and have read it many times over the last few years. What "makes it" is the warm attention to detail Verghese brings to his descriptions of relationships; as the central theme, the subtleties what go with a close relationship between men such as himself and David, and the effects of drug abuse both on the user and those around them - but also his interactions with patients, his passion for medicine, the multiple childhood insecurities which linger into adulthood, the problems of being an "outsider," the difficulties of a failing marriage and its repercussions on young children. You will weep, but you'll feel better for it! A quick search on Google will also reveal the ways in which Verghese has initiated very welcome projects intended to help keeping medical students "human." He's a good guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A profound take on "One day at a time...", 17 May 2011
Mary Jane Poole (BANGOR, MAINE, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
It has been a long time since I have wept at the end of a book, surprising since I had realized from the Dedication what would happen. I had fallen headfirst into "Cutting for Stone, Verghese's more recent book and so wanted to read others. He has a way of showing you every detail of the story, whether it be the minutiae of medicine and cures, or the feelings of his characters. He remains humbly the story teller, no matter how involved he is as a character, and unrolls the tale in a way you cannot resist following. Tennis was such a full metaphor for how to conduct ones life. As I said, I wept, not just for David and Verghese himself, but also for the countless people who are left less than human and destroyed by the addictions of our world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Verghese at his best, 17 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
Verghese's books are out of the ordinary. This, together with My Own Country, I bought having enjoyed Cutting for Stone and I can't wait for the next. The life and relationships of a doctor working with AIDS patients, Verghese leads the reader into another world.

5.0 out of 5 stars One set all, 6 Aug 2010
Catherine E. Kay (West Lothian, GB) - See all my reviews
After reading 'Cutting for Stone' I wanted to read something else by this author'
.The Tennis Player filled the bill. Surprisingly it is autobiographical and tells the story of the author's professional involvment with one of his students who had been a tennis pro.
There are many layers to the story involving both men and their lives, a story of compassion and the ability to help another being--but all to no avail. This book does not have a happy ending but is a good read. C.E. Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 July 2014
S Billson (Winchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
Absolutely loved this beautifully written book. Verghese has such a wonderful way of writing, I read Cutting For Stone some years ago and rate it as one of my all time favourite books. This one tells a fascinating story and is also wound up with the most amazing descriptions of tennis that I have ever read - superb.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for tennis fans, 22 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Review for the tennis partner, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
Well written and quite a harrowing story.I could feel the authors passion for tennis and medicine.Probably targeted at a niche audience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Friendship - the good and heartbreaking aspects, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
This is a story of how a friendship between two hospital colleagues developed from their love of tennis. One of them has a history of addiction and that dark past rears its ugly head again with heartbreaking consequences.

I was given this book as a present because I play tennis. When I read the first chapter and realised addiction was at the core of the book I hesitated and thought about putting it down as I would have never picked a book with that subject myself. However, I am so glad I kept reading. It is a very touching and real story of friendship that stays with you, and you feel involved, wanting to scream at David to not give in to his demons. I enjoyed the medical parts and patient backstories and the tennis parts were really interesting and informative.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Nature of friendship, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Tennis Partner (Paperback)
One of the themes of this book that has stuck with me is the evolving nature of friendship - how friends can be both more and less than you'd imagined when you first meet, and how one behaves as a friend oneself. A book to make one reflect a long time after finishing the read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Tennis Partner: A Doctor's Story of Friendship and Loss
The Tennis Partner: A Doctor's Story of Friendship and Loss by Abraham Verghese (Hardcover - Sep 1998)
Used & New from: £5.96