5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reluctant readers

funny
Published 5 months ago by Blan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reluctant readers, 26 July 2007
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I recommend this book to any 6/7 year old who is struggling with reading. Having bought virtually every book suitiable for his age, this was the first book my dyslexic 7 year old boy was happy/keen to read. I read a page, he read a page, without his usual reluctance. Storyline of child squashed by a notice board and then sent to America in an envelope (so his parents could save on the airfare) captured his imagination and he wanted to see what happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great classic, 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I read this as a child, and loved it then. Now, as an adult, when I read it I recognise all the little touches the author included to keep both audiences happy. The humour is quite dry, even dead pan, the turn of phrase restrained, but the resulting story of Stanley, flattened by his fallen bulletin board and forced to approach life in a new way, is one of the funniest children's books I've ever read.

I'm not sure why the publishers have dropped the original Tomi Ungerer illustrations - I thought they were great, and beware the disappointing abridged version which misses out some of the best bits - but this edition of Flat Stanley still deserves top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 7 Aug 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
The first in the Stanley Lambchop series has him turned flat when squashed by a bulletin board! This leads to several hilarious adventures, the best in my son's opinion when he is 'hung' in an art gallery to catch robbers. However, this is only the first and there are many more books to explore. Start with this one though - still fresh so many years after it was first published.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a very imaginative book and we all enjoyed reading it, 24 Mar 2004
Ms. S. H. Jones (Johnstown, Wrexham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flat Stanley Pb (Paperback)
Thank you for selling Flat Stanley. It is a really great book. We are a class of Year 3 and 4 pupils from Johnstown Junior School, Wrexham and we all liked it.
Stanley is flat because he got squashed by a bulletin board. He has a brother called Arthur who says 'Hey' a lot, and who is jealous of Stanley. Stanley goes on lots of really exciting adventures, he even becomes a hero! If you read it you will go on an adventure too.

4.0 out of 5 stars the brilliant flat stanley, 15 Aug 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Flat Stanley Pb (Paperback)
I love the story "Flat Stanley". My favourite part is when Arthur flies Stanley as a kite. Arthur, Stanley's brother, was jealous because Stanley was flat and could do so many amazing things, so Arthur tried to make himself flat by putting loads of big heavy books on himself. It didn't work!

Stanley was very brave because he stopped the museum being burgled. He did this by pretending to be a picture! When the burglars came he called for the manager of the museum. The burglars got taken to prison. Stanley became famous.

After that, people on the street started teasing Stanley about being flat so Arthur has an idea and he pumps Stanley up with a bicycle pump! Stanley was very excited and happy. His brother was very kind. When Stanley became round again, Stanley's family had a midnight feast of hot chocolate with marshmallows on top and cookies!

If I was flat, I would be a kite like Stanley and pretend to fly. I think Flat Stanley is a great book and I will I had the magic lantern story.

Emily Hannah Lipworth

4.0 out of 5 stars New to Flat Stanley, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
After hearing an American friend describe the book and how she visits parts of the world and sends a "Flat Stanley" to her nephew, I decided to buy the book for my sister's grandson. A lovely book and a good read and the recipient was really pleased with it. If I had to mark it down it would be because the glossy front cover does not prepare you for the black and white pages/pictures inside the book. For the target audience I would have thought coloured pictures/writing would be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars great 20 years ago still great today, 8 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I read this book every summer holiday when I visited my grandparents. Back then it took me so long to read (probably felt like War & Peace does now), but my husband bought me a copy for my 30th birthday and I read it again and still loved it, but this time it took less than an hour!! I think we would all love to be like Stanley and be sent to far away places through the post (or is that just me?) or fly like a kite. Can't wait to read it to my sons when they are a bit older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly my 7 year old son wanted to become "flat" ., 16 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
It was a pleasure to read this book to my son. Stanely got up to so many exciting things which any young boy would love to do. A true classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great children's story, 1 Aug 2013
schumann_bg - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I bought Flat Stanley for the illustrations by Tomi Ungerer, which are utterly superb line drawings in black and white, but the text is also outstanding - a boy gets flattened when a notice board falls on him while he sleeps and spends some time half an inch thick. Although initially he likes this it becomes irksome in the end, but his brother finds a way to get him filled out again. Before this there are a number of episodes exploiting his shape: retrieving a ring that has fallen through a grating in the pavement, sliding under doors without opening them, turning himself into a human kite, being posted in a large envelope for a holiday in America. The piece de resistance involves his flatness quite specifically in an art gallery, used to catch thieves in a way only he can ... Jeff Brown writes in a crisp, alert style that matches the events brilliantly, with lots of comic undertones in a fast-moving narrative. It would clearly grab a child's interest but is delightful for adults too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluebell Class Flat Stanley Review, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
Flat Stanley is about a boy, called Stanley, who got squashed by a board whilst he was asleep in his bed. He was squashed flat like a pancake! We liked it when he pretended to be a picture and caught the robbers at the museum. When he was a kite Flat Stanley flew gracefully but later he got stuck in a tree! We think Flat Stanley is a hero because he got his Mum's ring from down the drain. Bluebell Class liked it best when Flat Stanley got put in an envelope and posted to another country.

The only think that would make this book better would be big, colourful pictures.

Year 1 Bluebell Class, Sybourn Primary School, Walthamstow

Flat Stanley Pb
Flat Stanley Pb by Jeff Brown (Paperback - Mar 2003)