4.0 out of 5 stars 600+ Muffin Recipe Ideas from the USofA
I read the other review of this book here and reading between the lines of it I saw that this was the book for me.

Published on 12 Nov 2011 by Umidude

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Disappointing
Published on 11 Mar 2008 by S. Pettigrew

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Disappointing, 11 Mar 2008
S. Pettigrew (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Muffin Book: More Than 600 Recipes for Sweet and Savory Muffins (Paperback)
I had very high hopes for this book...I think I fell into that old trap of judging a book by its cover, & at more than £8 it was more expensive than many of its competitors. I was looking for a book that had both sweet & savoury muffins to browse for inspiration and with the promise of 600 recipes it seemed like the one for me. So when it arrived and I realsied there was not a single photo to whet my appitite, that the 600 is based largely on variations on a theme and that it is American which uses different weights, measures and ingredients, I felt quite let down. Another depressing Americanism is its obsession with low fat, hence there are recipes for Corn Muffins, Low-fat Corn Muffins & No-fat Corn Muffins...
All that aside, some of the recipes do look nice so I'll probably give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars 600+ Muffin Recipe Ideas from the USofA, 12 Nov 2011
Umidude "umidude" (Outside London - UK) - See all my reviews

Firstly, no, there are no pictures apart from what's on the cover. Honestly though, do you really need a picture for every recipe as at the end of the day, they are all muffins! I'm glad they didn't waste space on them so we can just get to the nitty gritty of it all.

As with all cookery books, especially those on one particular theme, there is a hints and tips section at the start of the book including how to reheat, freeze and thaw. Very handy.

The recipes are all actually in alphabetical order and although 600+ are mentioned, there are actually just over 100 main recipes but each one has many good variations tailored for each particular mix. Why waste pages on another recipe when it's easier to say, "add 2/3 cup of bananas and 1/3 cup chocolate chips but remove 1/2 cup of sugar" as that's the only difference.

However, you may have noticed the one major issue which is that this book is from the US and therefore has all US measures and many ingredients used more there than here in the UK. So go to one of those sites on the net and print off a small ready reckoner for US to UK measures, or, as with all recipes, adjust to your taste.

That said, the use of other grains and ingredients really make these special. Honestly, who are we to argue with the US on how to make muffins? If you've been there and tried them you know that they are the champions - and this book is an introduction to them. The low-fat ones and healthier mixes are great in a book that you would expect all to be oily and unhealthy, especially with US Stereotypes - so there is something for everyone.

Most importantly, the recipes are easy to read, follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 26 Oct 2013
have done most of the recipes in this book and all are great so far...simple and easy recipes to follow and bake, enjoy

The Ultimate Muffin Book: More Than 600 Recipes for Sweet and Savory Muffins