5.0 out of 5 stars Working solo
I live in a small town, where my viewpoint is regarded with distaste, but this book helped me feel better about myself and i've been experimenting a lot since page 1.
Brilliant book, recommended to all!
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by Mr. J. W. Whittlesea

2.0 out of 5 stars Change the title please
Published on 13 Feb 2006 by Vulpus_rex

2.0 out of 5 stars Change the title please, 13 Feb 2006
This review is from: The Joy of Gay Sex: Fully Revised and Expanded Third Edition (Paperback)
This book is a serious disappointment. It has very little about the sexual act, and anyone looking to this book for ideas or instruction about gay sex will be extremely frustrated to find the book should in fact be called the 'joy of possible situations or experiences you may have if you are a gay man'. As I perused the particularly fatuous cod psychology of the section on Daddy/Son modelled relationships I could clearly hear the sound of the bottom of a barrel being scraped. This book could only possibly be helpful to someone who had absolutely no experience of gay life, I suggest that kind of person is not the book's target market and the publishers should change the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working solo, 18 Sep 2011
Brilliant book, recommended to all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 27 April 2011
This book is clearly written for an American audience and has, in my opinion, terms and view points that don't necessarily apply to a UK reader. I feel that some definitions and meanings of terms are not fully researched, especially the chapter on Fidelity and monogamy. In my opinion I think the authors did not read their dictionaries properly. Over all the book is a good resource for young gay men(I feel the book is bias in this regard, could be more inclusive of the whole gay community) The book is very down to earth and honest to the reader. I do however feel that the book may be a little unnecessary. The Joy of gay sex is a book that I think may be titled wrongly because the book dose not cover the sexual, emotional and relationship side of gay men and women but quickly and briefly talks about these subjects and then goes on to discuss 'seen' life style and things that could be making the book to be seen as 'a definitive guide to gay life' when it is not and should not aim to be. A book will never replace living and experiencing life the way you want it to be not what is put down in print. However the illustrations are very well drawn and, although only of gay men, are full of exciting visual communication. I would recommend this book but recommend that the reader make their own decisions on what the book says.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, just mis-titled, 26 Dec 2010
Anyone buying this book hoping for a gay parallel to the original "Joy of Sex" (which is why I bought it) will be disappointed. Very little information and few original ideas are presented, and the book is more an alphabetical exploration of a number of gay sociological themes.

Read as such, the book is reasonably informative, and might be of interest for people making their first journey in to the adventures of being gay in the modern world. The authors generally write well and clearly, though there is a rather pontificating attitude that comes through at times, with the authors' opinions being presented as the "last word" on several subjects.

Overall: this book is not of much interest to people hoping to develop their sex lives or indeed to find out about the "joy of gay sex". It is, however, a good buy for those interested in a broad picture of life as a gay man today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought For friend of Mine - A very happy Birthday Boy !, 8 Aug 2013
I bought this for a good friend of mine who shall remain nameless (Keir Jones) as I wasn't sure if he had this one in his collection. A perfect Birthday Gift solution to any man who has everything . I know he's got the full Exotica Encyclopaedia range and "Doing it with Fruit" by A.Nana . Being a Big welsh fella, he always seems to have Farmers weekly hidden behind the toilet cistern and I was never sure if it was the animals or the young farmers that took his eye. Going on that basis I thought this might offer some inspiration for him. Not only does it detailed diagram of positions this book goes into details such as doing it with Fruit , Animals and other like minded individuals. . I would question some of the positions detailed with in this book however as Keir is a Larger gentleman and positions such as featured on Page 97, may prove to dangerous for him to enjoy, safely.... Proceed with caution my Friend !

5.0 out of 5 stars again it is what it is, 11 April 2013
it is what is. good reading for those whom want to spice up their love life. also good for those beginners

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD, 28 Jan 2013
INFORMATIVE, READABLE, WELL WRITTEN, A GOOD PRICE AND A GOOD REFERENCE BOOK WHICH I DIP INTO FREQUENTLY. WOULD RECOMEND TO ALL

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Sensual, 12 Sep 2003
Mark J Trumper (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Gay Sex (Hardcover)
What can I say about this book? Like being held in the arms of a muscular lover this book provides reassurance and comfort to all of us in the gay community that revel in our physicality.
Far more than an instruction manual, The Art of Gay Sex is an essential guide to opening up the sensual you.
I can't say that The Art of Anal Sex is an art that I've personally mastered, but as long as I keep looking at the pictures and working hard I'm sure it achievable.
It's a beautifully concieved and illustrated book, completed with the love and fits perfectly between my copy of Spartacus and Will & Grace DVD boxed set (Vol 2).

5.0 out of 5 stars Familiar Friend Brings Reassurance, 6 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Joy of Gay Sex (Hardcover)
I like this book, always have,in each of its editions and the latest is like the return of an old friend after a facelift and a trip to the healh farm. The picture of the front seems to be the same one chosen for the upcoming Gay Man's Kama Sutra from Terry Sanderson, but no matter.
It no longer teaches me anything new, but it did. It just has that sense of being a "must have" book like a car maintenance manual even if you don't fix your own. I like pencil drawings instead of photographs, but I do miss the old Greek and Roman mosaics in the front. It is nice to dip into and read a section or two, just to have the book......and I have bought maybe three editions over the years before disposing of each one; then hesitating and buying yet another replacement copy. I decide to live without it and move on, but am drawn back to buy another copy.......stupid really, but it has a reassuring quality about it.....simple, forthright, clear, and it makes gay sex seem almost mainstream and yet, its appearance on a coffee table would make others blush at the very sight of its title.
It is the original gay-lifestyle manual; I like Jack Hart's Gay Sex; and probably will find Terry Sanderson's Kama-Sutra fun to read; but TJGS is without question the book to accompany Spartacus on the modern man's bookshelf as a statement to himself symbolic of a rite of passage and identity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy To Have, 28 Mar 2013
This is absolutely the best general gay sex guide in my opinion. Beautifully illustrated throughout with black and white sketches, and absolutely full of great information on all aspects of gay life and gay sex.

The Joy of Gay Sex: Fully Revised and Expanded Third Edition
The Joy of Gay Sex: Fully Revised and Expanded Third Edition by Felice Picano (Paperback - 1 May 2004)
11.27