2.0 out of 5 stars Can you help solve Charlie Brown's questions ?, 20 Aug 2011
A. (Broxburn, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think alot of Robert L. Shorts comments are Nuts, but he does introduce many theological & philosophical authors. The more books you read the better. I see this book as a challenge: whether you could write better words into the children's mouth.

Did Schultz write the Peanuts cartoons so that people would be drawn to solve the problems that Charlie Brown & co were experiencing ? P 292 has Charlie sitting alone in school break wishing that the red haired girl would speak to him. I want to say to him, 'Get up, go & say to her "Hi, how has your day been?",& ask "What did you watch on tv last night? What is your favourite music / t.v ?'. She might either answer in a friendly way or say, "Sorry, I don't feel like talking just now. See if someone else wants to talk"
Charlie often asks "Does anyone like me?" p69 he says, "Nobody likes me?" p132, "I lie awake at night listening for a voice say "we like you". I wish his friends would say to him," Your parents love you, even if they shout at you sometimes it doesn't mean they don't, it's just that when you care about something, it is easy to get upset. Try to be caring and not hurt anyone and they will like more about you".

The trouble with 'Do they like me?', is that it is an obscure generalized question. How do you feel about others? What do you like about them ? What do you find ok /neutral, what do you dislike ? People have a complex set of feelings towards others. For example you could 95% like someone, 5% dislike. It is kind to round up & say,"I like you" (but sometimes you do / say things which I don't like ). I find that I have a neutral to positive response to most people but sometimes they do things which make me feel angry or hold opinions that I hate.Also they do things that I admire or say things that I find helpful. I you are not hurting anyone, living within the country's laws then you should be liked and respected for that.
The Golden rule is, 'Treat others as you want them to treat you' which means I should try to say the caring thing to others and they should try to say the caring thing to me. But it is their right to walk away without speaking.
I think another rule is to try to be specific and assess the individual action /idea in terms of your feelings, i.e relative terms
p48 has Shermy say of Charlie, 'How I hate him' the girl beside him should have said, 'What do you hate about him, what has he done that upset you? Are there anythings about him that you like?'
p 54 Lucy asks, 'Do you think I'm a crabby person', Charlie should maybe have answered, 'Well sometimes but then everybody gets crabby about somethings in this world, it is a normal part of life'
p63 has Linus say,'I feel depressed' Charlie could have asked, 'What do you feel depressed about?'. p64 Linus asks Lucy, 'What are you so worried about'
p32 Schroeder listens to a no 1 pop hit,'I don't get it' .It isn't to his taste
p76 Lucy calls Charlie 'Blockhead', the bible advizes against calling people such names like, 'you fool'. I agree, I think she meant, 'I'm frustrated that you don't understand what I'm trying to explain to you, or that you won't agree at all'
p 97 Charlie says, 'I hate myself' he really means,'I hate that I don't have the nerve to speak to her, I'm frustrated with this shyness'
p 98 Charlie says, 'A leopard can't change his spots' but i think there is always hope, one of the key things is to read widely, do an investigation following questions, links via wikipedia to expand knowledge
p 113 Violet calls Charlie, 'You are a fool' but Charlie could respond, 'What are you annoyed about? What have I said or done that bugs you?
p 128 Lucy says,'I've taken enough of your insults, you stupid dog', she should have said, 'I'm upset by those insults, please don't say such things, they aren't true'
p 170 Schroeder could have said about Beethovens music, 'Well I enjoy it and that is all that matters'
p178 is a good comment- 'you know what annoys me about you'
p 197 Dostoyevsky should have followed Jesus teaching not to call people 'you fool'or 'snivelling idiot' and instead say,'I strongly disagree with their opinion'
p 279 Linus could say to Lucy, See when you feel really angry why not shout,'You're making me fume' instead of hitting out at people
p 288 I agree with R. Short: The Deuteronomic view of suffering that "If a person is hit by natural disaster it's punishment from the gods", is false. Mind you if you don't be careful and wear safety gloves for gardening you are more likely to get a sliver in your finger.

3.0 out of 5 stars peanuts, 2 Jun 2009
Alan Lawn "ahlawn" (norwich england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Parables of Peanuts (Paperback)
difficut to see where the author was coming from to stsrt with it started to become interesting

The Parables of Peanuts
The Parables of Peanuts by Robert L. Short (Paperback - 17 Jun 2002)
8.89