4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!
`The Story Of The Trapp Family Singers' spans roughly the quarter century from the mid 1920s up to the end of the 1940s and is divided into 2 parts. Part 1 [the first 110 pages or so] roughly covers the period between Maria leaving Nonnberg monastery to join the Trapp family and closing with the momentous decision to leave Austria at the outbreak of war, incorporating her...
Published on 15 Jan. 2009 by Joolz

3.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and heartwarming.
I found this book so heart warming and lovingly crafted. It is a definite feel good book. There are occasional moments which are a little tedious but this is easily dismissed by the wonderful passages. This book made me laugh and cry and made me feel so blessed in life! Deserves to be read -all the more wonderful because it is a true story!
Published on 28 Oct. 2012 by Hermione

5.0 out of 5 stars informative read, 4 May 2011
Kathleen S. Kenyon (South Yorkshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (Paperback)
As I am about to partake in the musical I thought I would prepare myself with a little insight . Very informative, very interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 19 July 2014
I now need to see the doom again as I fear so much was left out/altered.... you are what you make of the situation around you... not what the situation is...

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a traditional reading requirement, of excellence., 27 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
This book tells the real story of the Trapp Family Choir, as it started, and ended, the beginning(first couple pages) was slow but picked up speed rappedly, the further you got , the better it got. This intriging nove I would recommend for all adults, and mature children(as I am 10).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Aug. 2014
A very good read. Only a bit like the film . Will happily read it again in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 16 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
The Sound of Music is my favourite film I have seen it at least 25 times. But when I read the real story I liked it more. I think Maria was a great woman who kept the family together with her love. It was the most important thing for her. When I am sad and fed up with all the things around me I always read the book /of course only parts of it/ and after reading I always feel better. It is One Of My Favourite Things! I would recommend to everybody to read it. It is about love and history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, Entertaining, But Incomplete, 24 May 1999
By A Customer
It's been a while since I've read this book, and I realize now that Maria Von Trapp wrote it in the style of an earlier time in which the main characters look unfailingly noble. While we can admire the family's stand against the Nazis, the details that have been left out, which were recently revealed by A&E's "Biography" make them more human and realistic. For in reality, we learn that Maria was the stern, tempermental, dictatorial one and the Captain the more mild mannered one, and that it was against Maria whom the children had to fight for their independance when they wanted lives outside the singing group. The A&E version also gives a more detailed account of Maria's harsh childhood, that she hadn't always been so religious and in fact had been an atheist at one point, her stepchildren's true feelings about accepting her into the family, and the way Maria took her husband for granted. Her account of their lives resulted in one of the world's greatest musicals, and is a clear monument to virtue in the world, but as part of a modern audience, I don't mind a touch more reality and humanness to such stories. Without it, they seem a little too lofty and untouchable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (Paperback)
As described and delivered as predicted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mistake!, 9 May 2013
J. Bashford (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
That will teach me, my wife ordered this on my site by mistake. So I paid for it, I don't want it, and I don't by any streach of the imagination want to read it!
However my wife is ok with it, 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Jan. 2015
Fabulous

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sept. 2014
Mrs. Anne Morton "maythorn" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
~Great.

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp (Paperback - 9 May 2002)