4.0 out of 5 stars A Bodice-Ripping Yarn!
What attracted my interest to the book was the fact that its hero was Norman, and I am descended from the Norman invaders of 1066. Plus I am a great fan of romance, and all other reviews were extremely favourable of its romantic content!
Published on 23 Jan 2005 by H. Wyche

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
Nice story line wanted to read it all but not exciting or steamy enough but ok. It was enjoyable and light to read but lacked depth and excitment
Published 19 months ago by watchdog

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bodice-Ripping Yarn!, 23 Jan 2005
H. Wyche "venus_211_2000" (Cheadle, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lily and the Sword (Avon Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the way Sara Bennet sketched Lady Lily's character. She was believable and easy to empathise with- plucky, humourous, but at the same time vulnerable and aware of the restrictions placed on her gender. Many historical romances contain central female characters I just want to slap for being so sappy, but that was definately not the case here!
Radulf, on the other hand (a rather dubious name for a Norman) was chauvanistic and cruel, though Bennet cleverly demonstrated in his thoughts just why he behaved like that. Unlike many central male characters in romance novels, he leapt out of the page, muscles and all, and seemed very real (and gorgeous) to me. In the end I was rooting for him too.
The Lily and the Sword lost a star for me because it seemed to sag a little towards the end, (by then it was obvious they were going to stay together), but the journey was entertaining, the love scenes were hot, and the ending was happy, so I would definately recommend this novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 30 Jun 2004
By A Customer
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The heroine was very sweet and the hero was kind. He was a real tough guy. The story is set in medival england. Get the book and you won't be disappointed. I was also glad when they found out the were expecting a child. To find out what happened to these characters read the rose and the shield. I gave the book 5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Get your copy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lily and the Sword, 7 Jun 2009
Old Romantic (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Radulf the King's Sword seeks the wife of a traitor believing her to be one too, to take before the Norman king for punishment. He finds a girl hiding in a church and takes her prisoner unaware she is the one he is looking for. Although he knows she is lying about who she is he has no idea she is really the one he seeks. He is furious when he realises her deception but there is an undeniable attraction between them...

I enjoyed this book so much I bought several more books by Sara Bennett and have enjoyed all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ive read in a while, 8 Sep 2013
Amazing. What more do I need to say. Once e I started I couldn't put it down. It takes you through every emotion we've all had in any relationship with a tremendous ability to allow you to feel what that characters are going through also. So glad I read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 11 Sep 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Plain, 5 April 2011
Uninteresting and predictible, this book does not even have captivating characters or a particularly witty banter to make up for an easy story line. Lily wallows in self-pity when she isn't about to throw herself into Radulf's arms, and his thoughts have no more depth or subtlety than his wife's. Being blinded by lust is no excuse for the self-absorbed drivel the protagonists impose upon the reader, and Radulf's considerations of passion, love, and trust simply don't do justice to his depiction as manly, powerful and experienced warrior. If you're looking for a fleshed-out romance novel covering the same period, turn to Woodiwiss' "Wolf and the Dove" for interesting characters, a sizzling relationship, and a well-depicted historical background.

ARRAY(0xb6b86684)

The Lily and the Sword (Avon Romance)
The Lily and the Sword (Avon Romance) by Sara Bennett (Mass Market Paperback - 3 May 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01