4.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Bombadil
I was a bit disappointed in this volume, but maybe not for a reason you would expect.

Published 3 months ago by Ancient Mariner

3.0 out of 5 stars A shibboleth OR For Fans Only.
Published 5 months ago by Mr. G. Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Bombadil, 28 Mar. 2015

There are 16 bits of verse and a few tales, and all of them, to a greater or lesser degree, have the recognizable touch of Tolkien and his worlds. They are interesting and/or charming, and are certainly worth reading if you are a Lord of the Rings fan or a Tolkien completist.

My disappointment is perhaps a bit unfair. I got the impression from the Amazon description and other descriptions that we would, in this volume, learn more about Goldberry, Old Man Willow, barrow-wights, and especially Tom Bombadil himself. I have always thought of him as one of the greatest underdeveloped characters from Lord of the Rings, and indeed the entire body of Middle Earth work. Unfortunately, while these characters are present or figure in some of the verse, it is not in a way that provides any particular illumination about who or what they are. It's more like they are just mentioned in the book, not actually in the book.

But that gripe aside, and it's a pretty mild gripe, these are entertaining and interesting stories and well worth the effort of finding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tolkienite treasure trove., 14 Nov. 2014
Alliteration aside, I enjoyed reading this series of poetry and I loved the way in which it fits in with the legends of middle earth. If you, or your children, have enjoyed the adventures of hobbits you'll enjoy this. Be warned though that the poetry is only about one fifth of the book's make up. The rest of the book is full of historical information about the writing. I enjoyed reading more about a forgotten hero from the Lord of the rings, however, I know that this won't appeal to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars A shibboleth OR For Fans Only., 27 Jan. 2015
Mr. G. Morgan "wes" (Haywards Heath, England) - See all my reviews
This book is test, a test of a person's love of Tolkien. It follows the vicissitudes in the life of the character we know from elsewhere, in characteristic strong simple verse. The adventures picaresque and plain, the pleasures of the simple story and its ready satisfactions will delight Tolkien fanciers. If you have reason to suspect that you, or perhaps someone you are considering this a present for, is less than rapturous about the other books, I'd be careful. Friends of mine love it; however I found its humour laboured, the character tiresome and the whole thing a real drag. I do not doubt the genuine enthusiasm of it for true lovers of the great Brummie, but for those of us who are less fanatical, it is one to avoid: the style is cumbersome, the adventures banal and the whole thing rather a chore. As I said, this book sorts out the true fan from the mere reader, hence 3 stars (I hated it but others' tastes are different; I know, I asked). Oh and it's a lovely little edition: stylish, neat, attractive.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my 9 year old son and he loves it, 25 April 2015
I bought this for my 9 year old son who loves the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. He cant put it down and really loves this too., Aaron says that each chapter is in poem format and tells a new tale about Tom Bombadil. It is in a different style to The Hobbit but he is enjoying it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this new edition very interesting and rather liked the the square shape, 13 Jun. 2015
I had mislaid my first copy of Tom Bombadil bought 50 years ago. I found this new edition very interesting and rather liked the the square shape. It seemed cuddly being pocket sized!. The Pauline Diana Baynes drawings were as enchanting as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little book, 26 Jan. 2015
Gave it as a gift to my friend, its a lovely little book. So nice that I am getting myself one

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Mar. 2015
Lovely size with some nice pictures and very interesting introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, witty and very enjoyable. Suitable for kids, 9 April 2015
Got has a gift for my fiancé and my two step kids, great for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery and recipient loved it, 28 Dec. 2014
Bought as a gift . Fast delivery and recipient loved it Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Mar. 2015
Joe R. Christopher (Stephenville, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Scull and Hammond are excellent in their added material.

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 23 Aug. 1990)
Used & New from: £17.45