1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to manufacture better-- here you go., 20 May 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: World Class Manufacturing (Hardcover)
I must say that I first read this because I had to, but onceI did it (really, now) changed my outlook on production. The author details not only the whys of good manufacturing practice, but also the hows and then goes into many case studies to demonstrate that he's not just blowing smoke from his ivory tower. Even better, the stuff works! One division of my company got hooked on the "World Class" bandwagon before it came into vogue. I went to tour their facility and I swore I had walked into Schonberger's book. Anyway, applied correctly, this book can turn your systems upside down and make you more profitable than you can almost imagine (inventory turns over 100? Believe it!). The best thing is that all this happens by developing employees and truly giving the line responsibility for production to the individual line workers. Tough stuff for most companies to even consider, and perhaps my only criticism of the book is that the author doesn't give an accurate picture of how long a transition from "traditional" management to World Class Mfg can require. Our facility worked for six years to get it right, which is actually very good for this transition (he says allow for a 10 year plan in his 1996 sequel, also excellent). Anyway, I'm putting theory into practice in my own mfg line, and thankfully I have this book to guide me. I'm buying copies for everyone in my production team and we'll "go back to school," so to speak. Wish me luck.

World Class Manufacturing
World Class Manufacturing by Richard J. Schonberger (Hardcover - 2 Jun 1986)
Used & New from: £0.01