on 8 October 2003
I found this book really helpful during my second year of Computer Science. There were detailed explanations of the internal workings of networks, along with good diagrams.
on 30 May 1999
I needed this book for my university course so I got it. The book is logically divided into seperate sections and it is very good as it details all about communications, the standards, the different systems and diagrams make it more clearly. The book has lots of information for internet and everything else..security...Then again this book was so good that after using it with my course I have passed my module for Computer Networks with flying colours!
on 24 August 2007
I really like this book and it is my favourite among books at that level. The main competitors are Tanenbaum "Computer Networks" and Kurose&Ross "Computer Networking"; Stallings is better because if it also starts from the basics, it is technically deeper, making it a more useful long-term reference. The companion web site is very useful (and has free access unlike Kurose). Tanenbaum's book is very good too but seems dated in places now (I expect a new eidition will come out eventually).
In a nutshell, if you need only one intermediate level computer networking book, make it this one.
on 5 August 2015
This book got me through an undergraduate degree in Telecommunications engineering and a masters degree. This book contains a wealth of knowledge on all aspects of communication and networking. The text is very accessible and yes there is some maths involved but everything is carefully derived and the use is shown. The older versions of this book are the best as the new versions do not really contain any further information to justify the cost.I picked up this copy for £3 and it was in excellent condition. Highly recommend this book for anyone in communications,IT or networking
on 18 May 2004
Over all a very good book, but in some areas it's very US-centric with detailed coverage of IS-95 but no mention of GSM. I also found the index hard to navigage with several attempts needed to find something as large as ADSL.
on 23 February 2000
It covers in sufficient detail most of the aspects of digital communications. A very good introduction and a reference book!
Coming from a Civil Engineering background and with no previous knowledge off networks, I found this a very informative read, however I felt that in some chapters the mathematics delved slighty too far. However, I found the content give a solid foundation, which i built on by studying for the MCSE exams...
on 31 August 2015
thanks
I adopted this book for my course. Very up-to-date and easy to understand. Very good resources online both for teaching and students, give quite a helping hand.
on 28 February 2001
It is very good book to learn how data and computer communicates. It is helping me lot with my studies. Plain English and easy to understand.