5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics
Published on 17 Nov 2000 by Wayne Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing, Average Quality Edition
I bought this box set but always felt I wanted the illustrated set, so I bought that as well!

This set is printed on yellowy paper with very small print (too small in my opinion).

The illustrated set has better quality paper (whiter) and more pages (bigger print).

My advice is buy the illustrated set and pay the extra 10 quid. Well worth...
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by J. Ritchie

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics, 17 Nov 2000
Wayne Robinson (New Lambton, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
The effect of these books upon the reader is unique. Certainly the only books I have ever read that draw me back to re-read them again and again. They are more than just literature, they are priceless works of art. The gift of a brilliant writer possessed of an imagination that has no parallel in the history of literature to a world finding itself sadly bereft of tales of beauty and of wonder.
Drawing upon Tolkien's ancient histories and legends of Middle-earth, these tales tell of The War of the Ring and the events leading to the end of the Third Age. Tales that will bring unimaginable vistas vividly before your eyes and characters that will haunt your imagination for the rest of your life.
You simply must read these books--and what better editions? These are superbly illustrated with water-colour paintings by Alan Lee. Mr Lee is one of the conceptual artists currently assisting Peter Jackson bring The Lord of the Rings to the big screen in New Zealand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly presented and beautifully illustrated, 31 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book set for my grandsons as an introduction to Tolkien. The typeface is clear, the paper good quality and the illustrations are mystical. My grandsons love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, not so great publication, 22 Dec 2005
s_l_clay - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Obviously, I don't need to blather on about how amazing the LOTR is or how much of a genius Tolkien is... there are many reviews that have already done that. Instead, I would like to comment on the actual edition of this book set - something I think will be a little more helpful to those of you deciding which set of LOTR books to buy.
Advantages of this edition are:
1. This 4-book paperback set includes "The Hobbit", which is a must-read before starting the LOTR trilogy.
2. I would describe the paper as "normal" paperback quality.
3. The presentation box is nice and sturdy.
4. The cover artwork (though not from the film) is really nice.
However, there is ONE major disadvantage of this edition:
1. THE TYPSET. The typset of "The Hobbit" is great - nicely spaced and easy to read, but don't let that fool you... The publisher has made the decision to make each of the 4 books in this set the same size (I assume for aesthetic purposes). Therefore, as each book of the trilogy is much longer than "The Hobbit", the typset for each of these 3 books is very small and very close together. Make sure you have a good pair of spectacles and/or a very well lit room and you'll be fine!
All in all a good price for a box set of 4 books. However, if you're looking for paperbacks that will get worn after re-reading many times, I would suggest purchasing the books individually in a more "eye-friendly" edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars White Shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise, 3 Dec 2013
Very beautiful editions of my favourite series of all time, I have always wanted to own a nice edition of these books and these are very nice. Good quality of paper and great detail of Tolkien's drawings makes this a great purchase. I'll admit that I would have liked an attached ribbon to use as a bookmark but this only a small problem and obviously does not ruin the quality of the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great special edition, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (Four book set) (Special Edition) (Hardcover)
These books are a great addition to any bookshelf.

No need to speak about the fantastic story as everyone will have at least heard of the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings by now.

These books have lovely illustrated maps and also come with the original introductions which give you an insight into how Tolkien came to write these books in the first place.

A must have for book lovers

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing, Average Quality Edition, 22 Feb 2012
J. Ritchie (UK) - See all my reviews

My advice is buy the illustrated set and pay the extra 10 quid. Well worth it. The images and better paper / type are definitely worth it.

By the way, I really enjoyed the Hobbit. The quickest I've read a book in years. Now on to the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Beowulf., 21 Jan 2003
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
J. R. R. Tolkien did his homework before writing these books. One of the Poems he studied was [Beowulf]. He even wrote a book on the subject [Beowulf: the monsters and the critics]
These stories can be read on many levels. They are no more children's stories than Alice in Wonderland is. However children can read these stories and enjoy them. They contain a lot of symbolism and if it is not evident then you may want to obtain [J.R.R. Tolkien's the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (Barrons Book Notes)]
There is a definite style change between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I found that due to the more simplistic form of the Hobbit and the fact that the stories are not as fleshed out, that it worked out better for me to read The Lord of the Rings first. Then when the mysterious creatures came to tea in The Hobbit, I could better understand who they were and why they were there.
The only real drawback to this set is that there isn't more. Where do you go from here?

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit small, 26 Jan 2014
The text and the paper it is written on is very good, but as I look at these books they are just a bit small. This means that the text size is tiny in the LOTR books to allow them to keep the books as thin as possible. It's a shame, though they are still readable and a good purchase as long as size doesn't matter for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what was described, 31 Dec 2013
I bought this as a gift for someone and the description was for a boxed set of books and when they arrived they were unboxed. As this was for a gift I was disappointed by this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 7 Oct 2013
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I got these for my eldest nephew, as other reviewers have commented this is great way to introduce anyone to Tolkien's work, they are nicely bound with really nice pictorials. I also got him to use a dictionary along with his reading as some of the language or shall we say word usage is not at all common these days. So far he has really enjoyed the reading and the magical world that Tolkien created. My nephew gives this a full 5 star rating.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (Four book set) (Special Edition)
Used & New from: 65.00