on 22 October 2006
OK, this might be a personal thing but I really felt the lead (Katie) ended up with the wrong fella! Won't say too much here about that as don't want to spoil it before you read it, but it was the one bug bear I had with this. Apart from that really loved it - easy to read, devoured it in a day as couldnt put it down and really cared about the characters to the point of crying at one point. Can we have a sequel please? (or if there is one, someone let me know! lol).
on 16 August 2005
I have read all of Jenny Colgan's books but have felt that the last few have not really lived up to the promise of Amanda's wedding and talking to Addison. This novel focuses on how difficult it is for women to find a man in London and when the two heroines are sent off to a remote Scottish Village mainly inhabited by men how their life changes. The story is very predictable with a few giggles along the way but not really a page turner. Fine for a sunbed read but if you're in to chick lit go for something a but meatier like Lisa Jewell or Adele Parks.
on 2 September 2005
Having been impressed by two of Colgan's previous books, Talking To Addison and Do You Remember The First Time?, I was looking forward to her most recent title, Where Have All The Boys Gone?
As with many books of this genre, the book's premise of a London PR girl leaving behind all her mod-cons in order to embrace the "great outdoors" seemed slightly contrived. However, I was willing to give it a go, based on Colgan's earlier accomplishments...
I do not wish to spoil it for those who have not yet read it, so I will simply say that it starts off "ok" (for want of a better adjective!), lulls tremendously in the middle, but is thankfully recovered in the final third of the book. At this point, I was happy to find I couldn't put it down, as I wanted to see how everyone ended up.
It's not a bad book, but I was actually bored whilst reading a large proportion of it. Nonetheless, if you work through it as I did, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the ending.
on 25 March 2006
I really enjoyed reading this.
It's not a book that will keep you guessing or provide any intellectual challenge, but if you're looking for an afternoon with a relaxing book then this is it.
While the plot is a little weak, the characters are mostly lovable and the pace (at only ~200 pages) doesn't keep you waiting. It also DOES give a decent insight into the modern girls life. There is nothing profound... but it takes a few (valid) shots at the "work hard, play hard" lifestyle.
I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good relaxing read with no taxing twists.
on 1 January 2006
There's more than a touch of the absurd in Where Have All the Boys Gone - but Colgan carries if off nicely. And despite the humor, I still managed to care about the characters and how things moved along. Oh sure, you can see who the "big couple" will be well in advance of the end of the book - but even that takes a sweet and unexpected turn. Great book for forgetting your troubles - sweet and funny at the same time.
on 28 January 2015
I am afraid I was quite disappointed in this book as I found the story line quite weak and the characters instantly forgettable. I am sorry I did not enjoy it as I have enjoyed other books by this author especially West End Girls and The Cupcake Cafe.
on 21 November 2013
l don't write reviews as l feel that people should make their own decisions and not be influenced by others points of view, l do enjoy Jenny Colgan's books, all's l will say is that l really enjoyed this book and found my self laughing and smiling most of the way through the book, good reading for either holiday's or just curling up
on 21 March 2014
I love Jenny Colgans easy style and entertaining story lines. This is a the sort of read I look for on those wet winter weekends, when you want to stay indoors, fuelled by endless cups of tea and toast in front of the fire. Perfect!
on 26 November 2013
I thought this book would be like the rest girl meets boy they fall out make up and all is right with the world well yes this book is like that but with a added interest so give it a go you will enjoy I promise.
on 22 August 2014
This is a completely unrealistic story in every way but it's such a nice book with endearingly loopy characters that it really doesn't matter. It's written in a fast paced style and is a bit like a modern urban fairy tale for grown ups. Albeit set in remote Scotland most of the time. I didn't learn anything or feel improved or wonder about the marvels of great literature. I just enjoyed it. And that's good enough for me!