4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing story that draws the reader in ......
Published 17 months ago by Betty Blue

Published 14 months ago by greyhound

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible book, weak story line an flat characters DON'T BOTHER, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
I was required to read this book for a book club and cannot believe that anyone would recommend it, The shallow plot has NOTHING to recommend it. The characters are weak and pathetic, even in a novel there must be something plausible about the storyline but I am afraid that is not the case in this book. Julia Garnet is annoying from the beginning with her weak 'fragile female' persona and this is not enhanced when she randomly arrives in Venice and on her first day bumps into a caricature of a 1920's wealthy US couple straight out of Agatha Christie. The book only get worse when a stereotyped predator of young boys, uses this insipid female to get to an adolescent, she of course is equally stereotyped and 'falls in love' AGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I wonder what was in the news the week Sally Vickers was writing that chapter??. I actually read this twice as I was assuming that I had missed the point of the story only to find that I was correct the first time, there is NO POINT to this book at all. Don't waste any time on this as you will never get it back and there are so many other good books to read

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing story that draws the reader in ......, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
Even though this is quite a complex, multi-layered story, I found it a relatively easy read, and often found myself reading on when it was past my bedtime!! Julia Garnet is sometimes infuriating, but her gradual "awakening" under the spell of the city of Venice, wonderfully depicted throughout the book is heart-warming. Strong characterisation, fascinating historical detail and the inter-weaving of the Tobit story, make this a novel to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read', 16 April 2014
This review is from: Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
I read this book several years ago and enjoyed it. However, after a holiday in Venice I was drawn to re-read it and enjoyed it even more, perhaps because I am that bit older and wiser(?). I find Salley Vickers' characters to be highly engaging. Her writing has great psychological depth. The pace of the narrrative is gentle and there is a considerable amount of introspection. It is a book that will appeal to a more 'mature' reader. Perfect if you enjoy reading as a means of 'chilling out' after a hectic day at work. This is one of the very few novels I keep on my shelves rather than pass on to a charity shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story which is not only tender, but leads the rader on a lovely journey of Venice., 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
An amazing story which is not only tender, but leads the reader on a lovely journey of Venice. I could not put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
I loved this book, which was selected for our Book Club. Sadly only one other person was of the same opinion and the others rather tore it to shreds as being lightweight. I loved the interweaving of the story of the Book of Tobit and although there were some aspects of the story which, having discussed it further, I could see were unfortunate, I hold to my opinion and thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a Venice tour guide!!, 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
Lovely book based in Venice. You can visit the church and see all the other places mentioned. Great Bistro in the square near the church!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sept. 2014
Great book

Miss Garnets Angel
Miss Garnets Angel (Paperback)
Used & New from: £0.01