5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for brides planning their big day on a budget
Published 8 months ago by Erin's Choice

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun but short
Don't think there was anything in this short book that I hadn't already read or thought about myself. Not worth the money.
Published 22 months ago by miss f goodfellow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for brides planning their big day on a budget, 18 Jun. 2014
Firstly thank you to NetGalley and Harper Impulse for approving me for a review copy of this book. This is a non-fiction book, and the first I've reviewed on the blog! Exciting. Thanks is also due to Samantha herself for getting in touch about taking part in my blog anniversary giveaway. Check back on the 24th of June for your chance to win a copy of this along with some other Harper Impulse titles!

I've reached that stage in my life where I'm starting to get invited to weddings of friends my age and not tagging along to weddings my parents are invited to. Hearing some of the stories about dresses and mother of the bride outfits and hats, and hearing the astronomical cost of feeding and watering 150 guests is almost enough to make you want to elope without a backwards glance. Now, I'm not a blushing bride to be, or even a fiancé (yet) but after reading this handy guide I am fully prepared!

The guide Samantha has written is complete from place settings to page boy outfits and is filled with hints and tips from what to buy and where to buy it to where you can skim costs or splurge on absolute must haves.

The book is divided into chapters and headings within them, so if you buy the ebook you can jump straight to the section you need, and even the subsection within a specific chapter. I really liked that the guide is written with a down to earth voice which won't make you feel Iike you have to have a degree in rocket science to follow the ideas and equally it's totally not patronising.

It really does what it says on the tin with many recognisable high-street brands getting a mention in most of the sections. There are also some online secrets uncovered for the avid researcher bride to be as well. I loved that it gives you options on most things in terms of price range but it also give you tips on where to head if you are looking for a particular style.

The guide is written by someone who clearly knows what they are talking about as the detail is so abundant in each of the sections. A must have for brides planning their big day on a budget, and even for brides who want to know where to start looking for ideas. This will be one I'll be keeping up my sleeve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - every Bride's mother should have one!, 2 July 2014
This is such an awesome book, and so much more than I expected. Weddings are a minefield, and Samantha's book is a must-have if you're daring to go there. The book covers all areas in extraordinary detail, and for those who think they already know it all, think again. I bought it with a couple of weddings possibly on the horizon, and a few days later there was a surprise proposal, and my daughter got engaged. She'll take advice from the book a lot more easily than she takes it from me! Thank you Samantha, you've already sliced thousands off the wedding bill - we're going to get so much more for our money now. If you're reading this and you don't believe it, buy it and see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent advice for budget brides, 16 Oct. 2014
I bought this book hoping that I would bring refreshingly new perspectives on how to budget and save pennies on my future wedding.
I couldn't have asked for a better book. This book covers everything a bride to be needs to worry about, and gives up to date, helpful, plus reassuring information. I have now gone on to save money thanks to this lovely book, making my wedding plans much less stressful.

Thank you to the author for a fabulously easy read and factual to the point information.

If you want a guide to saving pennies for your wedding look no further. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great eye opener, 29 April 2014
The high street brides guide is a wonderful eye opener that all the good things in life don't have to cost the earth!
It's easy to get lost in thoughts of big dresses, beautiful venues, cars, flowers, food and of cause a cake, but Samantha has made herself a big sister with a word of wisdom to all who read her book.
This small yet relevant book is packed with useful hints and tips that upon reading make you wonder why you never thought of it before!
This is definitely a book to buy, keep and pass on advice as Samantha has to us. I hope it continues to help brides to cut costs and still have their fairy tale wedding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy if Planning a Wedding!, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The High-Street Bride's Guide (Paperback)
A great addition to any bride and groom to be's library.

Full of easy and realistic ways to save money on your wedding but still allowing you to create things you never thought were possible and enable you to not only have your wedding but also enjoy it.

Even if you only select one of two of the ideas, I think you will be pleasantly suprised!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with Info, but Reads Like a Breeze, 6 Nov. 2014
I picked up this book because it was published by my own publisher. Honestly, I was just looking to check it out and breeze over it to see what kind of non-fiction HarperImpulse was putting out. I was surprised to be sucked in by the light, fun, reading and the practical advice. I have a weakness for how-to books, be they about auto repair or knitting. I love it when someone who knows more than I do can teach back her knowledge in a compelling way. In the words of Nora Roberts… reading makes me smarter.

I planned my own country wedding on a "shoestring" in the New York City area. I was super-proud of the choices we made, and excited by the tips savvy friends gave me. However, it was a full-time job for some months. How I wish I'd had this book as a guide. It would have saved me vast amounts of time and even more money than I saved.

I buy what Samantha Birch says because she did it herself, and applied her knowledge at her own wedding. I saw the photos of herself and her bridesmaids and groom, and was really drawn in by how stylish it all was while being unique and not stuffy.

The book is user friendly, and the personal stories and humor make it a pleasure to read. It's not like going to school. I especially like the organization of the book. It's broken down into smartly thought-out sections, and offers options and choices in each area of wedding planning.

If a bride is overwhelmed, and doesn't know how to get started OR if a bride is afraid to get started because her budget is low and she feels like throwing a meaningful and beautiful wedding is daunting, this book will be her friend.

In addition to offering useful info, this was a fun and whimsical read. I plan to offer it as a gift for friends when they plan to marry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for every new bride - even if you think you've got it all sussed!, 19 May 2014
Before reading this book I had everything in my mind about how my big day should go, with a few little things to iron out along the way. Now everything is sorted; I have a new plan that is completely unique, gained from being truly inspired by the ideas Samantha Birch relays in The High-Street Bride's Guide. This book is an essential handbag accessory for any bride to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed Samantha's relaxed and witty writing style which relieves any stresses, panics and calms the bridezilla in all of us.

One warning - keep your credit cards locked up while reading! The book is full of brilliant website suggestions, suitable not only for your big day but everyday. This may lead to a relapse of the internet shopping addiction you've been desperately trying to tame, in order to pay for the buffet! Bookmark them for post-wedding day shopping bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Perfect Wedding Without a Second Mortgage., 24 April 2014
I have to admit that when I saw 'The High-Street Bride's Guide on NetGalley I thought it was a 'Rom Com'. On reading the blurb I realised it was a non-fictional guide to achieving the wedding you want without having to take out a second mortgage and I was intrigued.

I got married over thirty years ago before the infinite choices provided by the internet and the modern preoccupation with designer weddings however I have a daughter in her twenties and decided the opportunity to update myself on today's wedding choices was too good to miss.

The guide is user friendly, full of anecdotal humour which presents the factual information in easy to read bytes. Broken into key element chapters with links on the contents page it is possible to easily dip in and out of this eBook a must requirement for any guide. Packed with options and cost cutting tips this guide is a great aide memoir for whatever type of special day you want and caters for all budgets.

Brides-to-be can save hours of research and disappointment by following the guide's advice and finding the right shops and websites immediately. 'The High-Street Bride's Guide' uses professional research and personal experience in every chapter. With regular updates it should be a bestseller.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Collins UK Harper Impulse via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The High Street Bride's Guide, 29 May 2014
What an absolute life-saver this little book is. It is quite literally having an amazing mate who writes for wedding magazines to carry around in your handbag and consult whenever you need to on the practicalities of throwing the wedding of your dreams at "high street" prices. 'The High Street Bride's Guide' has saved me HOURS of research time and linked me up with tons of useful suppliers and websites. I've also found myself tweeting directly at the High Street Bride herself when I need a little extra guidance with my wedding planning and she's always been super, super helpful!

This book is definitely the modern Bride-to-Be's bible. Unhesitatingly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of amazing ideas!, 13 Feb. 2013
This book has truly changed my wedding, full of simple and affordable ideas to spice up any wedding on any budget - the writer clearly knows what they are talking about. Works easily on kindle so can take it wherever you go and be affordably inspired. A must buy for any bride.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The High-Street Bride's Guide
The High-Street Bride's Guide by Samantha Birch (Paperback - 14 Aug. 2014)