4.0 out of 5 stars Temeraire and Laurence in China and Moscow
This eighth volume in the Temeraire series falls into three parts: in the first Laurence finds himself shipwrecked in Japan, with no memory of who he is or what he's doing here - while, elsewhere, Temeraire and his friends, both human and dragon, search for him.

Published 8 months ago by Roman Clodia

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
Published 5 months ago by Doria

4.0 out of 5 stars Temeraire and Laurence in China and Moscow, 13 Aug 2013
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

The second part, set in China, continues the past story of Laurence and Temeraire's relationship with the riven politics of the Imperial dynasty, hampered by Laurence's continued loss of memory. This is the most emotional part as Laurence confronts and, to some extent, has to re-enact his previous relationship with the distressed Temeraire. The third part is the most action filled as Temeraire and Laurence take a Chinese army to help the Russians fight Napoleon.

After the last two disappointing books, it's good to see Novik back on form here although, to be honest, this doesn't match the pure brilliance of the early books (1-5 in the series).

I only very rarely get on with fantasy books but this series is exceptional: good writing, interesting and intelligent plotting, persistently excellent characterisation in the dragons as much as, perhaps more than, in the humans. This certainly isn't the place to start if you haven't read the earlier books but for Temeraire fans, this is a welcome addition to the story.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 6 Nov 2013
I bought it because it’s the 8th book in Temeraire series and since I have previous seven I needed this one also. I'm very sorry to say I didn't enjoy it as the previous ones, the whole amnesia plot feels very soap opera like. And when I finished the book my conclusion was that I see no reason why it was necessary, my only guess is that otherwise we wouldn't hear about Japanese dragons.
So, if you are a fan read the book. If you are looking at this as a standalone book skip it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of steam?, 24 Oct 2013
I love Temeraire. But this was not up to standard. Muddy to begin with, and did not improve much. I wonder if Ms. Novik should just leave the series as it is now...

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely atrocious, 27 Aug 2013
Chantal Lyons (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The first Temeraire novel enchanted me. I loved the characters, the humour, the world and all the detail of it.

How things change (warning: mild spoilers ahead, but nobody dies or anything. That would've been too interesting)

'Blood of Tyrants' is one of the most poorly constructed novels I've ever read. The story is disjointed, feeling more like 'minisodes' than one continuous plot. This didn't come as a massive shock for me. The previous books, after the high of the first one, were reasonably good, then became average and slightly disappointing, largely due to the formulaic plotting. Novik appears to have spent all her imagination on the world of the dragons and none of it elsewhere. It was inevitable really that she would resort to the trashy TV staple that is amnesia. And so 'Blood of Tyrants' begins with Captain Laurence washed up on a beach with - rather conveniently - no memories from the time onwards that he has known Temeraire.

After a brief and pointless whistle-stop tour of Japan (that's one more country ticked off the list!) we're whisked off to China. And I mean this almost literally. Here we encounter undoubtedly the most clumsy transition ever conceived of by an author. One moment Laurence and Temeraire are sailing between Japan and China; the next, Laurence is in a Chinese throne room and someone's thrown a bomb. I actually considered phoning up the publishers to check that I didn't have a defective copy of the book; not even the unbroken page numbers could assuage me of my confusion.

In the second minisode, we are treated to a tour of the Chinese countryside, some tedious political intrigue, and one or two pages of genuinely interesting aerial fight scenes (how gracious of the author). At this point Laurence suddenly gets his memories back, reinforcing the irritating fact that the amnesia ploy added absolutely nothing to the development of the plot or the characters.

With another sudden and awkward transition, we are transported to Russia. This is where the book reaches its zenith of tedium and boredom. Ninety percent of the last third of 'Blood of Tyrants' is centred around military men arguing at each other in tents. There's plenty of fighting, but it's always in the distance, or being relayed to us by thick wads of exposition. Simply, it reads like a dry history textbook that happens to mention dragons every now and then. I had to scan over a lot of these sections and even then my reading style, usually quick, was limping along desperately trying to get to the end of the book and have it over with. Of course, we were never going to get a proper ending - just a sudden halt to the war between Napoleon and Russia.

I will not be wasting my money on the final book. I care about the characters, but not THAT much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two short stories and a novella., 24 Aug 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
OK, I loved the original books in the series and sadly missed Crucible of Gold, so when I started reading this, it was fairly obvious that I'd missed an epic adventure. This tale however was something that I found sadly lacking. Don't get me wrong it was great to adventure with Temeraire and Laurence again as well as spending time with their friends but this book felt a little flat, as if it was designed more to be a series of short stories that was suddenly decided to be bound together to make a novel. I felt cheated and a little disjointed as each time I felt I had a handle, the events within seemed to jump partly to a new location finally taking us to Moscow for the main part of the book.

That said, I do love the authors writing style, I love the prose, the pace and the way that the combat is not only handled but delivered to the readers imagination but when its delivered in such a way I had a hard time accepting this as an overall title. I really would suggest that they sell this more as a couple of shorts and a novella rather than one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A word on the printing, 22 Aug 2013
Just a short review on the nature of the hardback book currently on sale by Amazon (22-08-13) and that its a deckle edge or rough cut print version. So when you see the front edge all rough and jagged and not smooth its not a defect its an actual printing choice.

It's less common these days, but is one of a variety of methods used in higher grade printing as the appearance alludes to an older style of printing when the nature of paper and book production resulted in this effect being the normal.

Hopefully Amazon will update their description to account for this.

ARRAY(0xa69b7060)

Blood of Tyrants (The Temeraire Series, Book 8)
Blood of Tyrants (The Temeraire Series, Book 8) by Naomi Novik (Paperback - 10 April 2014)
6.39