5.0 out of 5 stars Four - It was nice to see stories from his perspective
Published 2 months ago by Veawen

3.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy Roth's writing style and have enjoyed the Divergent trilogy
I really enjoy Roth's writing style and have enjoyed the Divergent trilogy. Considering the price of this I was a little bit let down with the content. What was written was enough to pique your interest into Four's life but didn't expand any further than that. Would recommend if you are a fan of the series.
Published 3 months ago by Mrs S

5.0 out of 5 stars Four - It was nice to see stories from his perspective, 28 Aug 2014
I quite enjoyed this book, the 4 stories about Four. We see a bit of Four before the choosing ceremony and what impact the initiate period for him was. But also not really thinking about it when you read the first book Divergent – some of the events that has happened, Four had a massive hand in it. I can’t tell you exactly what he did or when as I don’t want to spoil things. But it did gave me more appreciation for Four then I already had.
It also makes sense why his initiates were a bit ‘out of control’ and how the rule came in place to fight for your top spot otherwise you will be ‘factionless’. Also it became clear that Jeanine was in on this plot for a very long time and that Tris and Tobias were just ‘unlucky’ or ‘lucky’ to be in the middle of the big reveal.

The relationship with his father and mother and how the rivalry existed between him and Eric, how he sees Tris through his eyes I loved it!

Veronica has done a great job in creating this world for Four, just what I was after and I know I might be in the minority here – but I really enjoyed his perspective on things.

I know it is a short review – but the book is quite short, but I can recommend this book to read after you’ve read the Divergent Trilogy or maybe just after Divergent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stories. It was nice to read stories from ..., 12 Sep 2014
Great stories. It was nice to read stories from 4's perspective. The only reason I could not give this 5 stars is because, in Roth's own acknowledgment page, her writing is better through Tris' voice.

Anybody who has read Divergent would know why 4 needed to leave the Abnegation, his trials through Dauntless, to making becoming the legend that is 4. The second, third and fourth story add to work well along side the Divergent book. They show 4's own investigation into the Dauntless conspiracy.

The last 3 stories are passages from Divergent rewritten from 4's perspective, they are good, i did like the way way 4 tries to emulate his mentor with the new initiatives. Also the way he puts on a face on for the students but shakes on the inside after a confrontation. Great book a touch below Divergent but still great and and a good compliment to the first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four from his perspective (Can Be Read After Divergent), 22 Nov 2014
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
There are four short main stories; The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor in this book which run just before Divergent and alongside Divergent told from Four's point of view so if you are wondering when you can read these stories without ruining the main trilogy of books for yourself then you will be fine to read this book once you have finished reading Divergent.
There are also three very short stories at the end of this book too; "First Jumper - Tris!", "Careful Tris" and "You Look Good, Tris" which are a few pages long each but are a nice addition to the book and again we get to see Four's point of view in a few of the parts from Divergent.
I would have preferred to have read this book straight after Divergent if I had known it could be read then but I didn't and read this after the final book Allegiant. I would definitely recommend reading it earlier as it does add to the content of Divergent and I was a bit disappointed with the ending of Allegiant so I feel the shine was taken off this set of mini stories for me by the time I read it but I love the character Four and these stories are really interesting to read.

The Transfer tells the story of Four's own decision to leave Abnegation and you will already know the reasons why if you have read Divergent but it is really interesting to see how it all actually played out for Four and get a more in depth insight into what his life was like before Dauntless along with his own thoughts and feelings. We also meet Amar and learn how Four was given the name Four by him. A good short story and a nice insight in Four's life before Dauntless and Tris.

The Initiate tells the story of Four's own initiation into Dauntless and how the initiation process was before it was changed when Tris joins Dauntless later on. I loved where Four plays Dare and becomes friends with Zeke and Shauna along with Amar. We also meet a bit more of Lauren who is the Dauntless born trainer when Four is the transfer trainer later on. The rivalry between Eric and Four is also explored a lot more and we find out why. We also learn of the circumstances surrounding Amar's death and how Four narrowly escaped the same fate. A really good short story which I really enjoyed and revealed more information about parts I already knew along with others I didn't. A really good read for fans of the Divergent series.

The Son tells how Four discovered his mother wasn't dead and how he was lied to by his Father and the Abnegation about her. It also tells how Max originally wanted him for Eric's job and how Janine already had her claws into the Dauntless at that point. We read how Four starts to investigate what is going on between Max and Janine and how the Dauntless initiation process is changed from her inside mole Eric which later affects Tris' own initiation. We also hear how Four gets his tattoo with the different factions symbols on him. A really good insight into the Erudite interventions in Dauntless and how the pieces of the puzzle started to click together for Four along with his thoughts and feelings on discovering his mother is actually alive.

The Traitor gives Four's side of the visiting day meeting with Tris and her Mum and also shows him further investigating Max and Janine's involvement together. It tells how much Four actually helped Tris along with her initiation and how he protected her from being discovered as being a Divergent. It also tells how he continued to try to have the initiation reversed to the old ways before Eric's 'amazing' idea of only letting the top 10 initiates remain and how he tried to warn Abnegation of the attack to come along with his mother who both chose to ignore the information. We also see Tris' rescue from the Chasm from Four's point of view and have an inside sight into his developing feelings for her. I really enjoyed this story and yes I already knew pretty much all of it but again to have everything from Four's point of view was such a good read and very insightful.

A really good compilation of short stories which may be re-telling a lot of information already known from reading Divergent but are definitely worth a read to get Four's perspective on things along with additional parts that enhance the main trilogy. A definite must read for fans of the Divergent series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. GIVE ME MORE! *Spoilers*, 15 Sep 2014
I absolutely loved this book! After binge reading the trilogy in a matter of days I had to go and buy this.
I was intrigued to get a bit of background on Tobias as I loved his character in the trilogy. I can't say I was disappointed or even remotely let down. Although quite short the stories go into so much detail about Tobias and you really get a feel for his view on things. The one small, minuscule issue I had was that I really wanted to read more about his side of the story of the Divergent trilogy such as what he's going through when he argues with Tris throughout Insurgent. For me I need more of an insight to his relationship with Tris.
I really want to read from Tobias' perspective further. Maybe Veronia can write a second book on Tobias including what happens later in his life?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great books! But not as good as the original series., 4 Sep 2014
This collection answer any questions about Four's past and his feeling from the divergent series. It explores Four's journey from Abnegation to Dauntless and his doubts about the Erudites. It's a brilliant plot and ties in perfectly with the original series.

Despite this, I wasn't as captivated as I was with the original. This may be because it's written through the eyes of someone else or because the stories are a lot shorter than before.

Still, I'd recommended it to any Divergent fan. And if this is your first time reading about Four, Tris and divergents I suggest you read the original series first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Veronica Roth has done yet another truly excellent job with this the fourth book in the series, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Four: A Divergent Collection (Hardcover)
As a Divergent-fan, it's hard to be objective when reviewing this book, but here goes.
Veronica Roth has done yet another truly excellent job with this the fourth book in the series. It comprises a collection of several short stories tying up a few loose ends in the first thre books and building a fascinating 'side plot', from Four's viewpoint, of the early part of the trilogy.
The concept of the five-faction Divergent World is an incredible feat of imagination - no wonder it won the awards it did.
Veronica Roths writing style makes it hard to put her books down once you start and this 'final' installment is no exception.
Worth every penny.
Sadly it appears though that, according to the author, there will be no further books in the series, such a shame when there would be so much plot-potential in the interaction between the various 'walled cities' created by the genetic scientists, including the possibility of there being another Tris in one of them ???
In conclusion, be brave and buy this book (and the other three). It will open your eyes AND your mind

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting alternative perspective on Divergent, 8 Nov 2014
Mr. D. Hazel "davidhazel" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
It's nice to see a story re-told (partly, at any rate) from the point of view of another of the main characters. Divergent and Insurgent are both told exclusively from Tris's point of view, and although we hear from Four in parts of Allegiant, that's at the end of the trilogy. Here, we find out more about Four's background, how he came to join Dauntless, and what he really thought of Tris and her friends when he first met them.

4.0 out of 5 stars An insightful read, 19 Aug 2014
I loved the divergent trilogy when I read them, I waited to get all of the Four collection together and read them in one sitting. I love that you get a real insight into Four's mind and really begin to understand how he thinks. Where the book overlaps with Tris it's great to see his side and his thoughts and feelings about something you've only known from Tris's view.

Overall a great read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
Really good read, different perspective of Four now, disappointed this is the last book in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars If you loved Divergent, you love this, 13 Nov 2014
I really enjoyed the three books in the Divergent trilogy and it was great to revisit some of the storylines from Four's perspective and to also gain an insight into his transfer into Dauntless.

Seeing things from Four's point of view made me appreciate some of the story lines in Divergent and why some of the conversations went as they did.

Four: A Divergent Collection
Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth (Hardcover - 8 July 2014)