Format: Hardcover|Change

I was a bit disappointed in this volume, but maybe not for a reason you would expect.

There are 16 bits of verse and a few tales, and all of them, to a greater or lesser degree, have the recognizable touch of Tolkien and his worlds. They are interesting and/or charming, and are certainly worth reading if you are a Lord of the Rings fan or a Tolkien completist.

My disappointment is perhaps a bit unfair. I got the impression from the Amazon description and other descriptions that we would, in this volume, learn more about Goldberry, Old Man Willow, barrow-wights, and especially Tom Bombadil himself. I have always thought of him as one of the greatest underdeveloped characters from Lord of the Rings, and indeed the entire body of Middle Earth work. Unfortunately, while these characters are present or figure in some of the verse, it is not in a way that provides any particular illumination about who or what they are. It's more like they are just mentioned in the book, not actually in the book.

But that gripe aside, and it's a pretty mild gripe, these are entertaining and interesting stories and well worth the effort of finding.
on 14 November 2014
Alliteration aside, I enjoyed reading this series of poetry and I loved the way in which it fits in with the legends of middle earth. If you, or your children, have enjoyed the adventures of hobbits you'll enjoy this. Be warned though that the poetry is only about one fifth of the book's make up. The rest of the book is full of historical information about the writing. I enjoyed reading more about a forgotten hero from the Lord of the rings, however, I know that this won't appeal to everyone.
on 21 March 2016
Love Tolkien so I can't find fault here. One of his most mysterious creations is brought out and studied in this nice little collection. Bombadil is a great character who fitters into his main works and leaves almost unnoticed. One cannot understand how he is left out of the movies that were made of late,especially since The Hobbit dives straight into Tolkienism,using characters that barely got mention in any of his core works.This book has other of Tolkien's poems including Fastitocalon another favourite of mine. The insights are also very interesting and it is nice to understand where his mind was when he was writing these. Entertaining enough for young children to be read to and a good introduction to Tolkien's broad world for them. The passages in between the poems are possibly not too interesting for younger kids,but if you are a Tolkienite like myself you will find them interesting enough to have a look through.Would recommend to readers of almost any age.
on 8 April 2016
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil can also be found in other editions, such as the Tales from the Perilous Realm, but as part of a collection of shorter works by Tolkien. Here, it's a stand-alone edition with lovely illustration; also, the perfect size for travelling -- for those who still love how a hard-cover edition feels to the touch.
on 11 March 2016
When I read about Tom Bombadil in 'Lord of The Rings' I always wanted to know more about it and now I have the chance. The book is small enough for bedtime reading which is handy and I love its newness. It's a lovely change to read strories in poetry form and I know I'll treasure this book.
on 25 April 2015
I bought this for my 9 year old son who loves the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. He cant put it down and really loves this too., Aaron says that each chapter is in poem format and tells a new tale about Tom Bombadil. It is in a different style to The Hobbit but he is enjoying it anyway.
on 13 December 2013
Tolkien's mellifluous famous story verses just leap off the page as the marvellous and mysterious Tom Bombadil sings his way through the old forest. Like most poetry this is best read outloud. If you are really lucky you may find the recording of Tolkien himself reading the ballad.
on 13 June 2015
I had mislaid my first copy of Tom Bombadil bought 50 years ago. I found this new edition very interesting and rather liked the the square shape. It seemed cuddly being pocket sized!. The Pauline Diana Baynes drawings were as enchanting as ever.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 January 2015
This book is test, a test of a person's love of Tolkien. It follows the vicissitudes in the life of the character we know from elsewhere, in characteristic strong simple verse. The adventures picaresque and plain, the pleasures of the simple story and its ready satisfactions will delight Tolkien fanciers. If you have reason to suspect that you, or perhaps someone you are considering this a present for, is less than rapturous about the other books, I'd be careful. Friends of mine love it; however I found its humour laboured, the character tiresome and the whole thing a real drag. I do not doubt the genuine enthusiasm of it for true lovers of the great Brummie, but for those of us who are less fanatical, it is one to avoid: the style is cumbersome, the adventures banal and the whole thing rather a chore. As I said, this book sorts out the true fan from the mere reader, hence 3 stars (I hated it but others' tastes are different; I know, I asked). Oh and it's a lovely little edition: stylish, neat, attractive.
on 26 January 2015
Gave it as a gift to my friend, its a lovely little book. So nice that I am getting myself one