5.0 out of 5 stars A first class thriller
I've read most of the Gabriel Allon thrillers and, at the time I reviewed `Rembrandt Affair', I found myself suspecting - like several other reviewers - it was time Gabriel Allon said goodbye to Israeli intelligence and settled for nothing more demanding than the restoring of old masterpieces.

Fortunately `The English Girl' completely restored my faith in...
Published 1 month ago by T. D. Dawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Dis appointing pretty much a reworking of a previous work.
Published 29 days ago by Hannah R Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A first class thriller, 27 July 2014
T. D. Dawson "tdawson735" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14) (Hardcover)

Fortunately `The English Girl' completely restored my faith in Daniel Silva and I was genuinely looking forward to the publication of `The Heist', the 14th book in the Gabriel Allon saga.

Although the underlying theme is inevitably similar to the earlier books, it won't matter if this is your first contact with Gabriel Allon. Daniel Silva skilfully sketches out the background to Gabriel's abilities as a restorer of old masterpieces and to his role in various Israeli intelligence operations.

As with a number of recent Gabriel Allon thrillers `The Heist' is set in today's world. This time, instead of facing up to Iran's determination to develop a nuclear weapons capability, we're taken into the dark world of Syrian intelligence and the ruthless elimination of opponents to the ruling regime. Plus - absolute power corrupts absolutely - the systematic plundering of the country's economy and the transfer, out of the country, of vast sums of money.

Several priceless masterpieces - some stolen several years ago - plus the security services of the UK, France, Germany and Austria play their part. `The Heist', quite genuinely, held my attention from page one to the very end.

Read and, most definitely, enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14) (Hardcover)
CAUTION: Once you begin this book you will be half way through before you take a breath. Then, you will take a breath and continue until you are at the end because you just can't stop. It is sad that you have waited a year for #14 in the Gabriel Allon series to come out and then can't put it down and it is finished in one sitting, all 472 pages, including the Author's Note.
That's just how it is with Gabriel.

CAUTION: If this is your first Gabriel Allon book be warned that you are not going to be able to stop with just this one. So be prepared that you are going to want to go back to book #1 and read them all. You just can't help yourself.
That's just how it is with Gabriel.

It is not unusual that an author with a recurring character, or in this case many recurring characters, will start to get stale by book #14 - this I assure you is not so with Daniel Silva. This book is as timely and fresh and relatable as if Gabriel Allon had just appeared on the scene.

Mr. Silva has a very smart way of weaving in the back-story of each recurring character for the benefit of any reader new to the series. Even having read this series from book #1, I appreciate it since I read many books during the year and am glad for the little nudge to remind me of who is who and what their relationships are to each other.

If you are craving a page-turning thriller/ suspense/ clever/ intriguing well written story about an art restorer /spy you have just found it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to this excellent series but maybe start with the earlier books before reading this, 19 July 2014
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Heist (Kindle Edition)
I look forward each summer for the next Gabriel Allon adventure and this latest instalment did not disappoint. The familiar ingredients are here for those who have read the previous books. Chiara is now pregnant with twins, and the story begins with the couple living quietly in Venice although we already know that the tranquillity cannot last because soon,Gabriel will have to return to Israel to take charge at King Saul Boulevard, home of Israel's secret service. The combination of art with espionage might seem unlikely but works really well. Allon is drawn into the darker side of the art world - stolen masterpieces as a form of investments for those who may find their more traditional assets frozen. In this case, stolen art leads Allon to the money at the heart of the Syrian regime, and of course The Office has to construct an elaborate plan to strike at an enemy of Israel. The plot didn't feel to me like it had quite the complexity of some of Silva's earlier books and there are quite a lot of characters and events from previous outings referenced here so this may not be the place to start if you are unfamiliar with this series. Having said that, this is a good addition to an excellent series and I'm already looking forward to finding out how Allon's career develops in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 31 July 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Kindle Edition)
I've read all of Daniel Silva's novel and he hasn't as yet disappointed in any. The intrigue seems almost impossible in each novel. With Gabriel Allon getting older and it would seem wiser. With Amri ready to hand over. Chiara expecting twins. The Heist is a clever plot. I'm sorry I don't go into the full story review although I do enjoy reading the others and take note. I just know that whatever Silva writes will suit me fine. When you pick up the book you know you are in comfortable territory and will find it hard to put down. Can't wait for the next one although he doesn't churn them out like other authors. It will be worth the wait as there is more to tell in this man's life and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is one of Daniel Silva's best. The plot is almost in real time without ..., 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Hardcover)
I think this is one of Daniel Silva's best.
The plot is almost in real time without any blood being shed!
Great to see all his characters back in play with the future mapped out in front of Gabriel Allon.
Just hope it's not too long before the next book.........
The plot is almost incidental to this review - what I particularly love about Silva's writing is his humour which shines through in the exchanges between Gabriel and his team. And I found the ending very moving.
It is simply one of the best books I have read this year.
Just buy it - you won't regret a thing!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars -- Once Again, A Book By Silva Is Worth Its Weight In Gold, 23 Sep 2014
Bobbewig (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14) (Hardcover)
In the fourteenth thriller in the Gabriel Allon series, Silva has the art restorer-spy-assassin involved in helping save his friend, art dealer Julian Isherwood, who is a suspect in the murder of a former British spy who, in more recent years, has been secretly involved in selling stolen artworks to a mysterious collector -- the most famous of which is a Caravaggio masterpiece.

This investigation leads Allon, and eventually his team of Israeli Intelligence operatives, on a mission that will take them to Paris, London, Marseilles, Corsica and, finally, to a small private bank in Austria in which a mysterious financier manages the wealth of a brutal dictator. Typical in all books in this series, Allon and his team devise intricate, down-to-the minute plans laden with risk throughout the complex, multi-layered mission. Also reminiscent of most books in this series, much of the plot in Silva's The Heist seems to be ripped from today's newspaper headlines. And, of course, consistent in a Silva thriller, his latest book is one of slow-building but non-stop tension and suspense that will likely make the reader anxious to turn the pages to find out what happens next.

In the absolute, while I found a decision Allon made toward the end of the book to be somewhat unbelievable,I enjoyed The Heist very much and consider it, as I have all of the other books featuring Gabriel Allon, to be very engrossing, well-researched and well-written. However, on a comparative basis, my level of enjoyment of The Heist was somewhat lower than in some of the earlier books in this series. In small part, this is due to the action that occurs being not as intense. The larger factor contributing to my comparative drop in enjoyment is that, after reading all fourteen Gabriel Allon books, the successful formula on which Silva has based his series continues to show "some age lines" and the development of his main and key supporting characters need some freshening up. Silva obviously feels the same, as he strongly makes clear to his readers in The Heist that he has important changes planned for Gabriel Allon (as well as for some other characters often part of this series) in his next book.

Despite these comparative criticisms, I still consider Silva to be the "gold standard" of thriller writers -- although the quality of the gold may now have depreciated a bit from 18k to 14k. For me, there has never been a risk involved in reading a Silva book, with the only unknown being whether the book will be very good or excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining fix for Allon addicts, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14) (Hardcover)
The Heist is a joy to read. Elegant story telling, great characters and a suspenseful and believable plot that is very much up to date. I found myself checking various references and learning a lot about Syria, Caravaggio and the secret world of private banking. Gabriel Allon and his team almost seem like old friends we're getting to know better every year and I'm curious about their future endeavours. Reading Daniel Silva's latest novel has become a very pleasant summer routine. I'm already looking forward to next year's outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 23 Aug 2014
Mrs. J. C. Nice "bookaholic" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heist (Kindle Edition)
Another clever, well written and plot driven book by Daniel Silva featuring Gabriel Allon. Gabriel is happily settled in Venice along with his beloved Chiara awaiting the birth of their twins when he is persuaded by the Italian Police to help track down the most famous missing painting in the world, a Caravaggio. A former British spy has been dealing in stolen artwork and has been murdered with Gabriel's friend, art dealer Julian Isherwood, being treated as a suspect. Gabriel and his team come up with the idea of stealing another famous painting to flush out the missing Caravaggio and the heist of the painting and the twists and turns of the book is Daniel Silva at his best. I cannot wait for the next book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel Silva does it again, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14) (Hardcover)
I always look forward to Daniel Silva's new book and The Heist was up to my expectations. My, Gabriel Allon really does get himself into awkward situations- he should stick to restoring old masters !!!
The plot in this offering by D.S. was cleverly developed and as usual I found it compulsive reading. I cannot wait for the next book in this series and I wonder how Gabriel will cope in his new job - we will have to wait and see, hopefully all will be revealed in 2015 !

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Silva gets better and better, 27 July 2014
Martin G (cocoa beach, florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heist (Kindle Edition)
Many authors tend to get complacent and their annual contract commiment to their publisher seems to be a chore. Not with Daniel Silva. Even if you havent read his earlier books, his charaters get more depth every time and the stories are logical and credable unlike many who write in this gendre. My only disappointment having just finished The Heist is I now have to wait another year for the next one. Bravo Daniel!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14)
The Heist (Gabriel Allon 14) by Daniel Silva (Hardcover - 17 July 2014)