5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT MISS THIS, best crime fiction book of '14 so far!
I received this book for free in return for my review

Published 7 months ago by BookAddictShaun

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been really great
I'm sorry but I can't join in the general euphoria about this book or author. Having read three of the author's books now, I would agree that the stories are great – chilling, gritty, fast-paced, generally well-written, good plots, interesting characters and relationships – what's not to like? Well a few things actually:
1. the author seems to have...
Published 4 months ago by Clyde Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been really great, 20 Aug 2014
1. the author seems to have mistaken suspense for dragging episodes out laboriously to the point where I found myself, not on the edge of my seat but desperately longing for the episode to come to an end.
2. I'm quite prepared to suspend my disbelief to a certain extent but the degree to which people are subjected to grave injury and yet still manage to come back for more is truly ridiculous. Towards the end of the book we are presented with an episode where someone had the mental capability to overcome the most horrendous physical injury and come back fighting. I thought for a moment the story had slipped accidentally into zombie fiction.
3. I think the author must have thought there was a prize for getting the names of as many different guns as possible into the story. Were we supposed to be impressed by his extensive research? Did knowing these names make a jot of difference to the understanding of the average reader or the flow of the story? In my experience, definitely not in both cases – it just detracted from the story.
4. Having put in so much research on guns' names, I was amazed that the author apparently had failed to research a fact that the average 12-year old would know. Does he really not know that the tides around Holy Island (or anywhere else for that matter) do not occur at the same time every day? Or was he contemptuously assuming that his readers wouldn't pick up on this? In either case, he should be ashamed of himself.

So come on, Mr Finch – you have got a good thing going here but you need to sharpen up your clumsy writing and sloppy attitude to your craft. The annoying thing is that most of the above points were actually unnecessary in the first place – the story could have progressed just as easily without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT MISS THIS, best crime fiction book of '14 so far!, 22 May 2014
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I received this book for free in return for my review

Wow, this was a rollercoaster of a read and then some! You know all those old cliches, heart stopping, edge of your seat etc, all of them apply here. I thought Stalkers and Sacrifice were good but Paul has surpassed himself with this book. I predict that this will be one of my favourite crime fiction books of 2014. I am still reeling after finishing it and my heart has only just resumed its normal rhythm. The last 150 or so pages are some of the most enjoyable and thrilling pages I've read in a number of years. I was completely lost in the story and there was no question of me stopping reading until I reached the very end. Sometimes I find it hard picturing scenes in my head, but for this book it was almost like a movie was playing in my head it was so vivid.

Fans of Paul Finch will know that this book continues the story of the Nice Guys Club from Stalkers. Having read crime fiction for a number of years I've come across some pretty sick villains, but the people who are a part of and run the club are amongst some of the absolute worst. The idea behind the club, for new readers, is that for £75,000, the Nice Guys Club will abduct a woman of the buyer's choosing and provide a safe place for him to abuse and rape her before the club dispose first of the body and then of all evidence. DS Mark Heckenburg was the officer who brought down the club, nearly losing his life in the process and resulting in the arrest of its leader Mad Mike Silver, aka Peter Rochester. Enough background about this is given to the reader in the book but I can't stress enough that reading the books in order just makes the reading experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

The book opens with Superintendent Gemma Piper and her boss discussing Rochester and agreeing that Heck should play no part in their attempt to further infiltrate the club. Despite the arrest of Rochester and the death of some of its members, it is thought that there are other clubs in operation around the world and Piper and her boss want Rochester to tell them where. Before they can do that however there's the small problem of Rochester being broken out of prison and the scene that follows this was absolutely fantastic. I won't ruin it but if I had to describe it I would say it was like a scene from Breaking Bad, and it was definitely a sign of the book starting as it means to go on. Some of the scenes in this made me forget to breathe or blink I was so hooked on what I was reading. Blood and gore galore it was bloody brilliant. The top brass are of course shell shocked, and Heck is absolutely desperate for a piece of the action. As the book moves on the club become relentless in their clean up operation and the body count is immense and to be honest I found myself wanting more as the scenes themselves were fantastic to read.

Heck has unfinished business with the club but Gemma denies him any role in the investigation. Of course for Heck to roll over and take that would make for a dull read, so he then breaks every rule possible to take down the club and again nearly loses his life in the process, multiple times! The scenes with Gemma and Heck are some of my most favourite in the book, the tension and chemistry between them is ridiculous. There's a scene I loved with Gemma where she storms into an interview room to terminate an interview where Heck is the suspect in question. She's a fantastic character. Both the personal and professional relationships of Heck and Gemma were pushed to their absolute limits and I can't wait for more in the next book. All too often writers pair colleagues together just for the sake of it but here it is just so believable, the atmosphere of the two of them together on the page is electric.

The book does not let up from the word go. Just when your heart settles down something else happens and you can't read quick enough. I was rooting for Heck right from the start and loving it when he just kept involving himself in the case. He is such a multilayered and interesting character and I feel there's so much more to learn about him. The job is basically all he lives for because of his past and because he doesn't really have any family or friends. Gemma worded it as the longest suicide note in history which I felt was a bit harsh! But probably true at the same time. I certainly felt his frustration at being denied a role in the investigation and was absolutely rooting for him throughout the book. As a huge London Underground nerd I loved the parts of the book set in a disused Tube station, so atmospheric and exciting.

Overall I cannot reccommend this book enough. In the crowded world of crime fiction there's a few authors who stand out from the rest and write incredible books, Paul Finch is one such author and is now one of my favourites. If you are a fan of crime fiction you would be an absolute fool not to pick up this book. Heckenburg is also now one of my favourite fictional detectives, up there with Tom Thorne and Roy Grace, both of whom are into double figures with book releases and I hope we are reading about Heck into double figures too as I am well and truly #HookedOnHeck! I think the only problem Paul now faces is bettering this book, however I have every faith that the next book will be brilliant too, and I can't wait for it especially after the cliffhanger in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 July 2014
Couldn't fault it. I just love Heck, always doing what he shouldn't. Makes for a great read. Yet again I couldn't put it down, can't wait for November and the next instalment. Thank you Paul Finch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal, exciting and couldn't put it down, 20 Sep 2014
This is the second Paul Finch book I’ve read and it’s the follow up to his brilliant book Stalkers, which if you take my advice read first because it will enable you to make more sense of this story.

It continues two years after Stalkers and sees Mad Mike Silver in prison answering questions about The Nice Guys.

Once again the story takes you all over the country, starting with Heck being farmed out to help other police forces deal with serial crimes, it’s Gemma Pipers way of keeping him out of The Nice Guys investigation.

However, when Heck returns to London after helping catch a serial killer in Sunderland things take a turn for the worse after Mad Mike Silver gets sprung from prison.

Carnage ensues on a scale unimaginable in England, but let’s say that lots of nasty people get their comeuppance!

This is another rollercoaster of ride for Heck and even though he’s a bit of a renegade you can’t help but cheer him on and hope that the rest of the police finally realise he is one of the good guys!

I’m eagerly awaiting the release of the next Heck novel in November.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 20 July 2014
Oh what a fantastic read! I could write so many clichés about it being a page turner, unputdownable, magnificent plot etc etc.... Well of course, being Paul Finch & the irrepressible Heck it is all of these things & more, but seriously if you want a top rate crime story that has the blood fizzing in your veins then download this book NOW, at the frankly ridiculous price of 99p!

5.0 out of 5 stars A club where membership could be the death of you., 28 July 2014
Paul Finch writes how I want to read a book, pacy, attention to detail without telling me how many ice cubes somebody has in thier drink, with believable characters that are as flawed as the rest of us.
I read a book for the same reason I go to the cinema or watch a television program, thats primarily to be entertained, thats if you find crime fiction entertaining.
So the "Killing club" fits the bill and as far as Im concerned it entertains me with its story line, individual characters and a level of nastiness that is within my parameters.
An enjoyable read that grows as the story unfolds and builds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 26 July 2014
This review is from: The Killing Club (Ds Heckenburg) (Paperback)
Don't be put off by my title headline. This story and plot just wasn't for me but those that love action packed kinda 'Bruce willis' type of films - then you may like this. It was too action packed, full of DIE HARD villains and, Heck, the main character I found just selfish as he tended to lead so many innocent people into dangerous situations. His decisions seemed unrealistic and stupid to me. When loads of dangerous violent bad guys are after you why choose to go on a small little island only to trap yourself.
No sorry this story just did not work for me. Totally unrealistic and I don't think would have any basis in reality

5.0 out of 5 stars This book ranks amongst the genre's very best. Fast paced continuous action, 15 Aug 2014
This was the second book by Paul Finch that I have read. I read lots of action orientated crime thrillers.
This book ranks amongst the genre's very best. Fast paced continuous action, a great twisty plot and fine characterisations.
Great to see a another British writer achieving the same impact and totally gripping narrative that the outstanding players, like Lee Child and David Baldacci deliver when at their very best. Buy it. Give Paul the success and fame he deserves.
It would make a terrific movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Killing Club, 6 Aug 2014
Really enjoyed this tale of mayham but it is best read in the correct sequence. 1st Stalkers then Sacrifice then Killing Club.
Killing Club could be called Stalkers 2 but Sacrifice comes between the two. Characters are shared and events linked. So don't get your "baddies" mixed up.
All three are "bloody" tales the hero Heck could never happen the stories are absolutely unbelievable. BUT it is a work of fiction and a stonking good read, suspend belief (not difficult) and ENJOY.

4.0 out of 5 stars A murderous rampage by nasty people!!!, 24 Aug 2014
Superstar, indestructible policeman Heck ensures there are plenty of twists and battles as he pursues the Nice Guys in a bid to end their murderous visit to the UK. There are some great detailed sequences as Heck tries to engage and then evade the Nice Guys. I found it somewhat implausible at times hence only 4 stars but nonetheless I enjoyed the second book about Heckenburg and look forward to reading Number 3 when it is finally released later this year.

The Killing Club (Ds Heckenburg)
The Killing Club (Ds Heckenburg) by Paul Finch (Paperback - 22 May 2014)