4.0 out of 5 stars Another corker
This book is crammed full of fantastic art from what must be one of the best childrens authors for a long time.

It's cute and stylish, unmistakably Oliver Jeffers.

I don't think the story is as strong as his other books, but it is still a great story, and the very last page is brilliant!

A little boy flies his plane higher and higher until...
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by @GeekZilla9000

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing package
Published on 23 Oct 2011 by purple-dub

4.0 out of 5 stars Another corker, 3 Sep 2007
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Hardcover)

It's cute and stylish, unmistakably Oliver Jeffers.

A little boy flies his plane higher and higher until he runs out of petrol and becomes stranded on the moon, thankfully he manages to make a friend when a passing Martian crash lands after his engine fails. Will they both make it back home? And will they ever speak again?

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming surreal story with quirky stylized illustrations, 14 Sep 2007
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Hardcover)
This lovely picture book has great stylized pictures, with an endearingly quirky story to match. The boy finds an old fashioned aeroplane and there's a good sequence of illustrations as he dons flying helmet, jacket and goggles. Off he flies until he runs out of petrol at the moon. Just as he begins to get lonely and afraid, a delightful little green alien with engine failure also becomes stuck on the moon and they become friends. There's a second lovely sequence of illustrations as the two marooned explorers think together about how to get them both back home and they then succeed in a rather foolish and surreal but amusing fashion. Finally, just as you think the story is finished you turn over to the very last page and there's an extra smile for the reader, and a "what do you think happens next" addition to the story.
Also, if you bother with author biographies, it's a lovely to have a picture of Jeffers as a boy and my children are fascinated by his having a green brother - a lovely touch.
This is my favourite of the boy's adventures so far, which seem to be getting increasingly original - though I do also recommend the others. All three books are entirely stand alone, though it is fun for the child who is familiar with the other two to spot the penguin from `Lost and Found' and the rocket from `How to Catch a Star' appearing in the pictures of this one. This is a very enjoyable book to read to your children and I thoroughly recommend it for 2-5s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 31 Aug 2008
T. Simmons (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
This book was a panic buy - I was on holiday with my 4 children and had forgotten their favourite bedtime stories. I rushed into an English bookshop in the Algarve, grabbed the first book that looked suitable and read it, that afternoon, to 3 of the kids (16 months, 3 years & 6 years). I haven't stopped reading it since! My 16 month old points to the beautiful illustrations and babbles constantly, my 3 year old is fascinated and talks about the book all the time (he even imagines he's the little boy) and my 6 year old really enjoyed the story and was delighted when he spotted the penguin (apparently from the book Lost & Found which he'd read at school). The story is original and just seems to capture the childrens' imaginations beautifully. Don't hesitate - buy this book! I'm now going to order some other books by this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous story, 10 May 2010
Ruth Jenkins (England) - See all my reviews
This is a really gorgeous story. My 21 month old son loves it and I enjoy reading it to him. He also has fun with the little toy that came with it, calling it a 'radio' and pressing the buttons to hear the alien noises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker by Oliver Jeffers, 27 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Hardcover)
My 3 year old has all 3, and he loves them all. This is the newest of his collection being a present for Christmas, and he loves the tales of the little boy. Great books for wild imaginations.
Keep them coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way Back Home, 7 Jun 2009
Mrs. Leisa Tayler (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
This was the first of Oliver Jeffers' books I bought for my 2 year old son. Oliver Jeffers is such a perfect inspiration for little boys intersted in space and rockets like my little boy. The drawings are so childlike my son is mesmorised by them. The story is a perfect length and leaves you hoping he choses it again the next night. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't sure, but the kids loved it, 30 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
I wasn't overly bothered about this book, but my daughters absolutely loved it. I think Oliver Jeffers has a knack of tapping into the children's eye view of the world with lovely childlike illustrations.

The story is very simple, but it made sense to my 5 year old, who has declared this and To catch a star her favourite books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way Back Home, 30 Jan 2009
S. Di Paolo - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
My little boy absolutely loves this book,the drawings are so lovely and colourful .We have all the books from the series,and they are always the first to be pulled off the shelf to be read!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing package, 23 Oct 2011
i bought this as a gift for my nephew's birthday - because the boxed set of oliver jeffers' books was out of stock - and i was disappointed by the amount of 'empty' moulded plastic packaging. i love his books, and i even thought the 'walkie talkie' would appeal (although i wouldn't normally buy such an item if i hadn't left it to the last minute) but in all honesty, if i had seen this in a shop i wouldn't have bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Jeffers classic, 2 Aug 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Way Back Home (Paperback)
And I hope it gets made into a short film, as was Lost and Found. It was work perfectly.

A boy (you'll recognise him if you've read other Jeffers' books) finds a plane and flies higher and higher. But runs out of petrol and crash lands. An alien flying through space has engine trouble an crash lands. Both find themselves on the moon and agree to help each other. How can they fix both their vehicles?

A few leaps in logic (I liked lowering a rope down to Earth the best), a set of quintessential Jeffers pictures, a charming story and even a cameo from an old penguin friend. And it's another rereadable tale from a favourite and talented writer/illustrator.

My three year old loves Oliver Jeffers. And I admit I will always pick up his books when I see them. Not a dud one yet.

The Way Back Home
The Way Back Home by Oliver Jeffers (Board book - 2 Jan 2014)