5.0 out of 5 stars An armchair adventurer no more!
Having being an armchair adventurer for many many years, with always having a reason to not do something instead of reason to do something.

Now having read the book and also dipped back into certain sections. Alastair Humphrey's Mircoadventures chipped away at all the lame excuse I had created for myself to not do something.

Because I had ran out of...
Published 3 months ago by D. Speck

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
ok
Published 1 month ago by Donna EAsto

5.0 out of 5 stars An armchair adventurer no more!, 25 Jun 2014
D. Speck (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes (Paperback)

Because I had ran out of excuses, I have camped on local hills and around not too far away areas. It's truely amazing to view the familiar from an unfamiliar perspective.

Not only has my dull, uneventful, but comfortable life changed for the good. I really do feel like I have a new lease of life.

I am a middle aged man with a 9 to 5 working life and a single parent. If I can do it, what is stopping you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying presents just got much easier..., 5 Jun 2014
If you find yourself dreaming of adventure but never have the time, this is for you.

Whether it's making the most of your weekend, adding variety to your commute or finding extra value in the 5 to 9, Microadventures is a beautiful, inspiring and simple guide to taking your adventures (and therefore your memories, experience and confidence) to the next level.

So whether you're looking for a present for Christmas, a birthday or just a friend in a rut who needs a nudge, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book., 7 Jun 2014
J. Campbell "JodieRC" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Been following Alistair's blog for years and been to hear him speak a couple of times, truly inspirational stuff and all his ideas are very achievable and doable.

This is a must read book for all young people and grown ups looking to get outside more and see more of this beautiful country we live in.

The book it's self is a lovely thing. Beautifully photographed and well written.

Birthday and Christmas presents sorted.

Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't go out on your own microadventure after reading this you must be dead!, 13 Jun 2014
I bought this book on a whim. I loved the idea of a book describing a little adventure to go on each weekend (or evening after work).

The book is beautifully laid out, printed on high quality paper. The pictures are fantastic, they really add to the overall 'I want to be out there doing this too' feel whilst reading. I like Alastair's writing style, never condescending and he pretty much answers any wee doubts (excuses) that may stop you from heading out the door.

I am already making plans about getting a bivvy bag and sleeping out in the Pentland hills near where I stay, something I would never have done until reading this book.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a refreshing look at the world on your doorstep by a true English eccentric, 5 Oct 2014
Alistair Humphreys is among the breed of mad dogs and Englishmen who go out in the noon day sun. He says he started life as an adventurerer without the physique, bravery or finances that characterised his famous forbearers, but I bet he will go down in history among them. Having cycled the whole world for over four years on a total budget of £7k, he set himself the task of finding adventure on his doorstep; the kind of adventure that anyone can or might have, if they are prepared to step outside as night falls and set out on foot, prepared to stay out all night. I bought this book at a talk he gave at the Royal Geographic Society (he's an excellent speaker btw - relaxed and charming. My teenagers were hooked.)
Humphreys reminds us that our locked in or humdrum lives can be invigorated simply by dragging a sleeping bag out into the garden, or walking out on a workday night and sleeping in a wood you've spotted from the commuter train. His ideas are simple but challenging. He has been taken to task by another reviewer for fixating on outdoor adventure. But that reviewer misses the point, Outdoor adventure is Humphreys' thing. He shares his own concept of adventure here. It's not a bucket list of all the things you might do to shake off the rut. It's a list (to my mind) of the things you might not think to do if you aren't by nature an outdoor adventurer.

Reading it reminded me of the icy night I woke my small children, worried I was doing the wrong thing because it was a school night, wrapped them in blankets and sat them on the front porch to watch Venus glowing red in front of the moon; of the time we climbed Snowdon together one weekend when we couldn't afford a long holiday. It reminded me of the fabulous woodlands near where I live that I used to run in but stopped when pressure of work took over; of my husband's confession that the night we first met he felt so excited he walked home from Waterloo to Battersea. It reminded me of a night long ago in France, with a friend, when the weather was too dreamy to stay inside the cottage so we just slept outside and woke with dew on our clothes and in our hair; of the night my husband woke in the Sahara desert with frost on his eyebrows after a night camp, surrounded by desert dog paw prints. We're not adventurous people. We're bookish, getting on, and homey. But this book has that trick of reminding you what you are capable of, what you enjoyed once and might again. Its particular focus means it never strays into the general pep talking of self help books. It's more interesting, more individual than that. But its impact is of that kind, only greater for being so specific and practical not cerebral.

In short: this book does what it intends to do, it nudges us awake again, and says: stop, look, put on your coat and walk out, keep going. It's a wonderful book, and probably all the stronger for being so narrow in its focus, because it's built upon Humphreys' genuine enthusiasm for his own calls to adventure rather than being a catch-all bucket-listy book of things that are of more general but perhaps diluted appeal. Humphreys writes extremely well - he writes as he talks, in a warm, humble, inquisitive, conversational tone. His eccentricity, his dedication to his way of life and his zeal to share these are rare. If he gets the TV series off the ground, I'm sure it will be a huge hit (Kickstarter, anyone?) but until then, read this and have a go at a micro adventure on your own doorstep.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb exercise in vicarious adventure that'll demolish the last of your excuses..., 5 Jun 2014
Mr. T. Allen - See all my reviews
There are big, epic adventures that most of us can only dream of doing. And then there are the small, backyard excursions that deliver the same blast of fresh air and vitality into our lives – if we have eyes to see the opportunities to take them.

Microadventures starts out by running through an enviable list of the author's own adventures - most of which were achieved in under 24 hours - which between them appear to explore every last wild nook and cranny of the British Isles. They're short, cheap, fun and do-able by anyone with a pair of legs and a desire to get outside. The second part of the book runs through the practical stuff, with a deliberate emphasis on making do with what you've got or can easily or cheaply get (as opposed to making excuses about not being able to afford expensive clobber).

Finally, it's utterly sumptuous, packed with fantastic photos, and a steal at only 11 quid (at the time of writing).

Do not expect any of your excuses as to why you're not out there sleeping on hilltops every weekend to remain standing after reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing book and philosophy., 20 Aug 2014
It arrived some time yesterday and when I returned with my daughter and her two visiting friends from a dreary hospital trip; the book galvanised them immediately to spend the night outside in our garden in a two man tent, with a camp fire, our Bernese mountain dog for company and marsh mellows for rations; whilst they contemplated their first night up Bredon hill in 2 weekends time and a walk / camp to and across the Malvern Hills later in September. They sat engrossed and chatted animatedly as only three 15 year old girls can, It was a pleasure to watch as a whole new world opened up to them.

PS The dog snuck back into the house 1am, I guess there wasn't room in the tent or she needed to sleep!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Inspiration, 8 Jun 2014
After viewing the online blog, I pre ordered this and was really looking forward to it. I wasn't disappointed, the presentation and content is excellent, just the thing to inspire the average person to get more adventurous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get out there and doooo it., 15 Jun 2014
John Wright "Johnny Bushcraft" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book containing a myriad of ideas for micro adventures.
Lots of how to ideas and information about suitable kit.
If you are interested in having an adventure do one thing this week, buy this book, and get out there and do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Jun 2014
As a frequent microadventurer, I really enjoyed reading these stories. I live in the United States and while much of the book was geared towards people living in the UK, it was still an enjoyable read.

Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes by Alastair Humphreys (Paperback - 5 Jun 2014)