Published 5 months ago by Edie

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality check for grown ups
The author states this book is written for 'ordinary people'. Having read the book it would appear his definition of ordinary is young, fit, strong, confidant, without any disability or personal commitments beyond a 9 to 5 job. His enthusiasm is infectious but his understanding of people outside of the 'ordinary' means that some of his suggestions are unrealistic. He...
Published 2 months ago by Bob Shaw

4.0 out of 5 stars a refreshing look at the world on your doorstep by a true English eccentric, 5 Oct. 2014
Alistair Humphreys is among the breed of mad dogs and Englishmen who go out in the noon day sun. He says he started life as an adventurerer without the physique, bravery or finances that characterised his famous forbearers, but I bet he will go down in history among them. Having cycled the whole world for over four years on a total budget of £7k, he set himself the task of finding adventure on his doorstep; the kind of adventure that anyone can or might have, if they are prepared to step outside as night falls and set out on foot, prepared to stay out all night. I bought this book at a talk he gave at the Royal Geographic Society (he's an excellent speaker btw - relaxed and charming. My teenagers were hooked.)
Humphreys reminds us that our locked in or humdrum lives can be invigorated simply by dragging a sleeping bag out into the garden, or walking out on a workday night and sleeping in a wood you've spotted from the commuter train. His ideas are simple but challenging. He has been taken to task by another reviewer for fixating on outdoor adventure. But that reviewer misses the point, Outdoor adventure is Humphreys' thing. He shares his own concept of adventure here. It's not a bucket list of all the things you might do to shake off the rut. It's a list (to my mind) of the things you might not think to do if you aren't by nature an outdoor adventurer.

Reading it reminded me of the icy night I woke my small children, worried I was doing the wrong thing because it was a school night, wrapped them in blankets and sat them on the front porch to watch Venus glowing red in front of the moon; of the time we climbed Snowdon together one weekend when we couldn't afford a long holiday. It reminded me of the fabulous woodlands near where I live that I used to run in but stopped when pressure of work took over; of my husband's confession that the night we first met he felt so excited he walked home from Waterloo to Battersea. It reminded me of a night long ago in France, with a friend, when the weather was too dreamy to stay inside the cottage so we just slept outside and woke with dew on our clothes and in our hair; of the night my husband woke in the Sahara desert with frost on his eyebrows after a night camp, surrounded by desert dog paw prints. We're not adventurous people. We're bookish, getting on, and homey. But this book has that trick of reminding you what you are capable of, what you enjoyed once and might again. Its particular focus means it never strays into the general pep talking of self help books. It's more interesting, more individual than that. But its impact is of that kind, only greater for being so specific and practical not cerebral.

In short: this book does what it intends to do, it nudges us awake again, and says: stop, look, put on your coat and walk out, keep going. It's a wonderful book, and probably all the stronger for being so narrow in its focus, because it's built upon Humphreys' genuine enthusiasm for his own calls to adventure rather than being a catch-all bucket-listy book of things that are of more general but perhaps diluted appeal. Humphreys writes extremely well - he writes as he talks, in a warm, humble, inquisitive, conversational tone. His eccentricity, his dedication to his way of life and his zeal to share these are rare. If he gets the TV series off the ground, I'm sure it will be a huge hit (Kickstarter, anyone?) but until then, read this and have a go at a micro adventure on your own doorstep.

5.0 out of 5 stars An armchair adventurer no more!, 25 Jun. 2014
D. Speck (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes (Paperback)
Having being an armchair adventurer for many many years, with always having a reason to not do something instead of reason to do something.

Now having read the book and also dipped back into certain sections. Alastair Humphrey's Mircoadventures chipped away at all the lame excuse I had created for myself to not do something.

Because I had ran out of excuses, I have camped on local hills and around not too far away areas. It's truely amazing to view the familiar from an unfamiliar perspective.

Not only has my dull, uneventful, but comfortable life changed for the good. I really do feel like I have a new lease of life.

I am a middle aged man with a 9 to 5 working life and a single parent. If I can do it, what is stopping you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying presents just got much easier..., 5 Jun. 2014
If you find yourself dreaming of adventure but never have the time, this is for you.

Whether it's making the most of your weekend, adding variety to your commute or finding extra value in the 5 to 9, Microadventures is a beautiful, inspiring and simple guide to taking your adventures (and therefore your memories, experience and confidence) to the next level.

So whether you're looking for a present for Christmas, a birthday or just a friend in a rut who needs a nudge, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't go out on your own microadventure after reading this you must be dead!, 13 Jun. 2014
I bought this book on a whim. I loved the idea of a book describing a little adventure to go on each weekend (or evening after work).

The book is beautifully laid out, printed on high quality paper. The pictures are fantastic, they really add to the overall 'I want to be out there doing this too' feel whilst reading. I like Alastair's writing style, never condescending and he pretty much answers any wee doubts (excuses) that may stop you from heading out the door.

I am already making plans about getting a bivvy bag and sleeping out in the Pentland hills near where I stay, something I would never have done until reading this book.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book., 7 Jun. 2014
J. Campbell "JodieRC" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Been following Alistair's blog for years and been to hear him speak a couple of times, truly inspirational stuff and all his ideas are very achievable and doable.

This is a must read book for all young people and grown ups looking to get outside more and see more of this beautiful country we live in.

The book it's self is a lovely thing. Beautifully photographed and well written.

Birthday and Christmas presents sorted.

Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great kick up the backside for us couch potatoes, 10 Jun. 2014
I've followed Alastair's career for a while now and always been impressed with his drive and tenacity in his ventures. His stories of cycling round the world or walking across India are beautifully written by someone, for whom it was about the journey and not the glory. But doing something like that with a mortgage, wife and kids, just isn't realistic nowadays for us normal folk.
However this new book really gives you the momentum to stop making excuses and get out there. Simple things like going out for a walk at night, armed with a camera or a tripod, or spending the night in the field. None of this is beyond the wit or reach of man.
The book is beautifully photographed and chronicles some great ideas that anyone can do. Love that you can see videos of some examples on his website too.
If you have an inkling that your life could do with a bit of a jolt and you want to discover more stuff in your back yard, then this is a great way to help you realise these ambitions. #microadventure !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get out there and doooo it., 15 Jun. 2014
John Wright "Johnny Bushcraft" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book containing a myriad of ideas for micro adventures.
Lots of how to ideas and information about suitable kit.
If you are interested in having an adventure do one thing this week, buy this book, and get out there and do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Inspiration, 8 Jun. 2014
After viewing the online blog, I pre ordered this and was really looking forward to it. I wasn't disappointed, the presentation and content is excellent, just the thing to inspire the average person to get more adventurous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 Jun. 2014
As a frequent microadventurer, I really enjoyed reading these stories. I live in the United States and while much of the book was geared towards people living in the UK, it was still an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly inspiring from cover to cover, 22 Jun. 2014
Documentally (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
I didn’t want to like Alastair’s book ‘Microadventures’. Purely for selfish reasons. The moment I saw it I was jealous and wished I’d written it. I’m a huge fan of adventure in all shapes and sizes and spent many years throwing myself into them.

Now-a-days it’s all about grabbing those micro-moments. Making the most of a couple of days precious free time and feeling alive, invigorated and refreshed by nature or just getting some use out of equipment you bought online after a bottle of wine and a reminiscing conversation.

The last few years has seen the Micro-Adventure movement really take off. From camping in the garden to hitchhiking a coastal route. The online conversations I have seen have been championed and curated by Alastair Humphreys. His passion, enthusiasm and attention to detail has been the rallying cry as he has curated and connected, documented and shared.

This collected knowledge, this antidote to modern life has been wonderfully refined and condensed into an amazing book packed with great stories and stunning images. A catalyst for simply getting out and discovering yourself. Heading out in a new direction with a small bag containing all you need to explore, eat and sleep under the stars.

Microadventures is about nurturing imagination and attitude over saving for a plane ticket to a far off land. Buy this book and you will never be able to make the excuse of not having time for adventure.

A wonderful book, so well produced, well laid out and utterly inspiring from cover to cover.

Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes by Alastair Humphreys (Paperback - 5 Jun. 2014)