on 18 January 2014
As a reader of Dr Briffa's books on diet and weight loss I wondered what he has to add about general well being. The answer to that question is "rather a lot" actually.
This book is designed to help you get more out of your working day and give you more energy for the valuable time left when you are not working. He does this in a very logical and evidence based fashion.
The first chapters on nutrition are some of the best written on the subject and summarise the current thinking in a very easy to digest (sorry) way that makes complete sense. After that there are chapters on a variety of subjects that I hope will allow me to be more productive and healthy.
Quite often I read about what I should do but there is little advice on the application of my good intentions and they fall by the wayside. This book not only explains to me what I should or could do to improve my energy levels but it also gives great ways of applying the concepts to everyday life. Some of the recommendations are not along with conventional publicised wisdom but Dr Briffa's suggestions are, as always, backed up by fact and there are scientific references available for those of us that wish to read more.
There are chapters on how to form good habits (and break bad ones) without feelings of deprivation, and also simple ways to boost mood and attitude on a day to day basis. The concept of "random acts of kindness" is not necessarily new but is really well explained in this book.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get more out of their day and have more energy for life outside work.
If, like me, your New Years resolutions are already a thing of the past then buy this book, read it and start the new year again but this time have a chance of succeeding.
on 1 February 2014
Dr John Briffa is a highly persuasive man. Even when he's telling us things we really don't want to hear (No carbs! Early to bed! Walk everywhere, briskly!), the force of his arguments seems irresistible.It's partly to do with his skill in presenting the (sometimes quite complex) scientific evidence to support his case, in a way that makes it comprehensible to the the layperson. But no less important is his infectious enthusiasm for his subject. He clearly cares deeply about what he sees as a better way of living, and he urgently wants to share that with us, his readers.

I've read one or two Dr B's previous books, so some of the material on nutrition was familiar. But in AGDATO, he very successfully broadens his focus to cover many aspects of physical and emotional well-being that can help us to be more happy, energetic and productive in our everyday lives, especially at work. I'd particularly recommend his prescription for how to get horribly drunk and still be at your best (or not too far from it) in your 9am meeting the following day.

Altogether, an enjoyable, thought-provoking, and potentially life-changing read. If I were half as persuasive as Dr Briffa, you'd have already ordered your copy by now.
on 5 February 2014
I bought this book as I was particularly interested in the advice on how to avoid the mid afternoon energy slump. Having already read several of Dr Briffa’s newspaper articles it came as no surprise to find the book as a whole well written and easy to understand. Wherever his approach goes against the conventional thinking it is always backed up with research and fact and, unlike other books in this genre, the advice is easy to follow and remember. I especially enjoyed the chapter on music, if only because it confirmed what I’ve always believed about the benefits it offers.

By the way, I don’t work in an office, but still found this book really useful and the mid afternoon energy slump is definitely a rarer occurrence now.
on 28 February 2014
Dr John Briffa has written another excellent, no-nonsense and practical guide for anyone wanting to boost the energy they have in their lives. In this book, Dr Briffa broadens his attention from nutrition to other areas that contribute to our energy, both inside and outside of work. Whilst optimal nutrition and physical activity are the cornerstones of our energy, Dr Briffa also skilfully explains about the importance of some mental strategies, light exposure, sleep quality and effective breathing. These topics don't often receive the attention they warrant in managing our performance in the workplace, so it is refreshing to have some practical tips in these areas.
As with his previous books, Dr Briffa writes in an accessible, clear and forthright manner, which makes this book another enjoyable read. The analysis and practical suggestions on how to manage and renew our energy are persuasive and well constructed. There is a logical flow to the content, yet the importance of addressing both the mind and body aspects to maximise our energy are implicit in the main themes of the book. I really like the way Dr Briffa makes the connections between our physiology and our psychology when it comes to using and renewing our energy.
This book is a great read that will help many have a great day both in and out of the office.
on 22 January 2014
This is a great book, easy to read and with some very useable information. Not your average book on health, as well as covering nutrition Dr Briffa looks into the benefits of some different things such as light, when and how much, simple breathing techniques, sound and sleep (to mention a few).

His approach is very gentle and non aggressive which allows for the human weakness factor. its not too strict, just good sensible advice.

We are all under pressure and working longer hours, this book gives some fantastic tools which will defo help me cope a lot better with everything i throw at my body, sometime i train twice a day, so get very tired at times.

Loads of simple things i hadn't considered doing which will benefit my working day, for me the stuff on sleep is first class, simple but very effective.

The last two nights i have slept a lot better.

I recommend this book to anyone struggling with a lack of energy or anyone who wants to be more effective at whatever it is you do.

Great book
on 30 April 2015
I really admire John Briffa’s previous book, Escape The Diet Trap, and came to it after being a fan of his articles in The Times. He’s no-nonsense, writes really, really well, and backs everything up with sound science, often critiquing studies which are widely and blindly quoted elsewhere. If there was any sense in the world ETDT would be given away by the NHS. A small investment in a few thousand copies of this paperback would save £millions of everyone’s taxes.

So therefore I approached this book with the above in mind but I was a bit disappointed. It is still well written, well structured, and supported by plenty of research (that he also takes the care to thoroughly explain to readers) but I don’t really feel that it delivers on its title.

This is still a general health book that feels like it has been forced a bit into a worklife pigeonhole. Whilst all the advice is sound, it will improve your life in general and not just in the office. It had no tips that really applied to an office environment (although admittedly it doesn’t claim to be a business book).

The first substantial chapter also repeats a lot of what is already in ETDT. And there is also a lot of stuff about exercise that is also in ETDT.

So, I hate to say this about a writer who I really admire, but this book was a bit money-for-oldish-rope. Sorry.
on 7 March 2014
Dr Briffa provides a huge amount of very useful information for free on his blog so when he takes the time to put something down in a book it's definitely worth taking a look.

I am sure I am not alone in the confusion I feel with all the conflicting health,work and well being advice out there; what to eat, how to exercise, how to be better at your job, how to be happy etc. I found this book provides a pathway through all of this with clear advice and tips for a variety of aspects of your life. Not only that the advice is easy to put into practice and I have already found many benefits from doing so.

If you would like to be more productive, healthier and happier then this should be on your reading list.
on 21 February 2014
As a long term health nut I didn't expect I would get much out of this book, however having been a long time reader of Dr Briffa's blog I was intrigued by the book. While I have improved my lifestyle, I haven't thought much about the eight hours a day I spend slaving away.

From diet to sleep, sunlight to mental focus, A Great Day At The Office covers a diverse range of topics that impact not only office but life performance. Some of these seem obvious, such as the importance of drinking enough water, and some of which at first would seem irrelevant to a 9 to 5 role, like getting a good night's sleep, but all combine to make the complicated beast that is our health.

A Great Day at The Office is written with Briffa's trademark honesty, humour and warmth, which reads more like musings from your genius mate at high school rather than some hotshot doctor. He's down to earth and shares a surprising amount of himself, showing that if he can drop smoking after 20 years I can probably stop guzzling snack-a-jacks one day. This book makes both a good introduction to the new age health movement (meaning traditional health concepts that aren't wrapped around a marketing campaign) and companion to an existing health literature collection.

Best of all it's easy to read, has chapter summaries to simplify the concepts and is filled with practical tips that avoid willpower and instead employ simple strategies to effectively to implement change. If this book doesn't improve your life you need to read it again.
on 27 February 2014
A very comprehensive study of how your nutrition choices can have the required impact on your energy and well-being for people 'on the go'.

It is possible to go back to particular chapters to refresh your guidance to good nutrition, even when you are very busy and not cooking meals.

The book is particularly recommended to professionals who do not particularly choose what they eat during their working day and point them to the right choices.
on 4 February 2014
All of Dr.J.Briffa's books and blogs are interesting and helpful. This book provides a good dose of common sense and information for those who want to be fitter, healthier and less stressed.
What is more he is quite right about how to reorganise ones life. Just the book to buy your partner if he or she looks a bit seedy and world weary.