Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2014
As I know one of the ladies who are portrayed in this book, I was interested to see what her life was like at the Butlin camp. I found all the stories equally fascinating and the synopsis of Billy Butlin also illuminating.
on 7 July 2014
Brilliant book and brought back so many lovely memory's
on 15 October 2014
This is a lovely story of what the Redcoats did on and off duty. Each individual story is a pleasure to read, each story does overlap to a certain extent this is to be expected, but everyone's story is completely different starting off from when they were young, then teenagers, onto working at Butlins and what happened to them later in life.
Some of the accounts are so difficult to believe you would be forgiven for thinking they were fiction when you suddenly think my goodness this is fact and it really happened to them.
Very good book.
on 15 December 2014
Took me right back - As an ex redcoat from Skegness 1989 - brought back lots of happy memories. In 1989 we worked just as hard and had the same experiences - the only thing that seemed to have changed was the wages - I got £60 per week (worked from 8am til midnight 6 days a week).
I loved every minute of it and still miss it - loved my Butlins family and we now have a reunion every year :)
Redcoat Tracy 1989
on 27 July 2015
This brought back many memories for me of how Butlins was both as a camper & a member of staff. I enjoyed reading about the girls lives. I felt moved by the things they went through and privileged to be let into their ups and downs. If you have ever enjoyed a stay with Butlins this will evoke personal memories of your time there, a MUST read for everyone who was/is part of the Butlins (& Majestics) family.
on 20 July 2014
Really liked this book. It took me back to the times in the 70,s especially when I first went to Butlins as a teenager., also when we took our own children in later years. The Redcoats were always fantastic and my daughter who was 8 spent a lot of time collecting their autographed photographs and had her photo taken numerous times with as many as she could. A great read.
on 17 August 2014
great read, but some photos would have been an added bonus. Perhaps it was a copyright issue?
on 4 August 2014
Quite interesting especially if you remember Butlins in the 50s and 60s. It tends to be repetitive as you read their accounts of life as redcoats.
on 20 December 2015
Having worked at Butlins for a number of years in the 70's and known to a number of the 'girls' in the book I can relate to the input by them.
It is a very true account of the life and times at the Camps and of the persons who were there and their backgrounds.
Great to live some of the old times and enjoyed the reading - well put together.
It brought back many happy memories.
on 12 October 2014
happy days of the old holiday camp billy butlin started it off the lives of these people were changed whenthey became red coats some to be famous others to just be there and enjoy them selves the jobs were busy and they had chance to meet their wife/husband or just have a mad fling good reminders of past hols at all in camps