5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
Published 18 months ago by Northern Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright
Published 16 months ago by Lesley - Ann

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 4 Feb. 2014
Northern Mummy "nel_k" (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
A Hopeless Romantic was the first of Harriet Evans' novels I read and is still one of my 2 favourites, so I was really excited to get this little sequel and read a bit more about Laura and Nick. It was good to address the questions which lingered from the first book about their very different backgrounds etc and although short it still manages to pack in a good story and many familiar characters. It has all the hallmarks of Harriet Evans novels - love and romance, friendship, strong family ties and a central character who gets to know herself a bit better - but in miniature format!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero (Quick Reads 2014) (Paperback)
Hopeless Romantic was the first Harriet Evans book I ever read and I loved it !!! Therefore to discover this novella was a sequel was a real treat but sadly I didn't enjoy it that much !! There were no 'ahhh !' moments and I realised why - romance novels should be one offs !!! It's lovely when the girl eventually gets the guy and you leave the book with a happy smile on your face , with a feel good factor but really we don't want or need to know what happens next !! Once the rosy glow goes all affairs get bogged down in the drudgery of day to day life and that's why we read romance books like those Harriet Evans writes - we don't need to know all the realism that comes next . We should just leave great romantic novels as ' happy ever after' in our minds !!!

I'm pleased Harriet Evans explained why she 'skipped' a few years too ! I don't blame her as it worked better .

All in all well wrote but I shall think twice before reading a sequel in future .

4.0 out of 5 stars Will they live happily ever after?, 25 Nov. 2014
I haven't read anything of Harriet Evans before and found this Quick Read a good idea to see if I liked her style of writing.
The book is thought as a sequel to her novel A Hopeless Romantic, but worked perfectly well as a standalone read for me.

I saw the story more like a nice fairytale, as I don't think it happens that often that you potter through the gardens of an estate, bump into someone mowing the lawn and it turns out, that this isn't the head-gardener but the Marquis himself who is as well dashing as charming and he falls head over heels for you. (Which seems to be how Nick and Laura got together.)

And once I had decided on the fairytale, I started to really enjoy the read and it didn't bother me that Laura's flatmate was a bit the typical oddball typecast or that her rival Lara is not only attractive and has a degree, but also perfect with basically everything else, not to forget she also an Olympic-standard showjumper.
I liked the modern take on this sort of relationship. The constant pestering press and the never ending cost and repair problems for such an estate.

The chapter in the maze has to be my favourite, as I wasn't sure if Nick had fallen out of love for Laura or was still planning his future with her and was stunned by every surprise she found in the maze.

The story kept me nicely entertained after a stressful day on the journey home and resulted in me coming home with a smile on my face.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing and disjointed, 13 Mar. 2014
I was disappointed at this very predictable and disjointed book...nothing new here. The heroine was pleasant but it was difficult to warm to her.Pity.

4.0 out of 5 stars A likeable short, 9 Feb. 2014
It wasn't until I finished reading this short story that I discovered from the author end notes that it is a sequel to an earlier book A Hopeless Romantic. I didn't have a problem getting into the story as it can be read as a standalone if wished. It's a pleasant read with a contemporary setting and tells of a couple called Nick and Laura who have been together around three years. He comes from the aristocracy and she is an "ordinary" girl and this aspect of the relationship governs a lot of how the heroine thinks about herself and their lives.

It's an often humorous read and I particularly liked the cutely sardonic chapter headings. Most of the characters thrown up by the story work ok, there are sketchy backstories provided for most but I am assuming that this is because the ground work was provided in the first book. But to reiterate I don't think you particularly need to have read the first to enjoy this one. I found it amusing the heroine, like me, has an inexplicable love for the hardware shop Robert Dyas, nice to know I'm not alone!

I felt after reading that this episode is satisfying enough for me and I don't feel curious enough to want to read the earlier book but I can see that for a lot of readers it would probably make them want to find out more about the origins of the relationship of the h and h. However I certainly wouldn't mind having a read of something else penned by this author as I like her writing style.

An agreeable 3.5* to 4* read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely romance!, 20 May 2014
See full review at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.be
Even though this story is only 107 pages long, Harriet Evans made me feel heart broken, stupidly in love and so touched I actually cried. Brilliant.
Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero is a wonderfully sweet romance I highly recommend to anyone who has ever dreamed of her own Mr. Darcy or Lord Crawley.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Read, 20 Mar. 2014
When I saw that Quick Reads were advertising this book, I pre-ordered it on my Kindle and completely forgot – oops. This is a story of an ordinary girl, Laura, who is having a relationship with the Marquis of Rahelagh, Dominic – but there’s one problem – Laura doesn’t have the ring on her finger and she really wants it. If you’re a fan of William & Kate (they’re the Royals if you’ve been living under a rock), then you’d love this quick read.

From the start to pretty much the end, I didn’t believe in Laura and Dominic and now that the book is over, I still don’t believe in them. For me, there was far too much negativity floating around their relationship. I felt really sorry for Laura because she’s slated for not spending any of Dominic’s money – SO? Has nobody heard of independence? The only thing I can afford from Marc Jacobs is a plastic bag - FAVOURITE LINE ALERT!

Only when the book ended was I told that this was intended to be a sequel to A Hopeless Romantic, however, this book could easily stand alone and I enjoyed it without reading the first one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Bite Sized Romance, 23 Feb. 2014
I was given this book as part of the Quick Reads 2014 promotion - I was very happy and excited to be part of this initiative and more than happy to review this wonderful Quick Read.

It wasn't until I had finished reading this book did I realise it was a follow on to a previous book A Hopeless Romantic. At no point did I think I was missing something - I treated it like it should be as a bite sized story which stood well alone.

Laura lacks confidence and can't quite believe she's hooked Nick so when a series of misunderstandings, his family and a big dollop of non-communication occurs things start to un-ravel resulting in Laura bolting back to London.

Harriet did such a good job writing this novel, I was cursing every other page willing Nick to see what was under his nose and for Laura to stand up for herself. Then, just when you think it's all done and dusted Harriet throws a curve ball - did we get the happy ending after all? You'll have to read it for yourself to find out.

I want to say thank you to Quick Reads for sending it to me. It was a lovely, short, story, written in such a way that I was immediately drawn into the novel. This was a perfect length to give a taster of an author's writing style. I hadn't previously read anything by Harriet Evans but look forward to doing so in the future. I can see it would also be the perfect length for trying out new genres without being over-faced by a long book that I might not enjoy.

I commented on twitter about how much I enjoyed this book and through the course of a conversation ended up posting this book to Belgium for someone else to enjoy! All in all a job well done Quick Reads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a Little fairy-tale for teenagers, 11 July 2015
Stephanie Grimpe (vallauris, france) - See all my reviews
In my humble taste a Little b it to primitve ???? Like a Little fairy-tale for teenagers ?Not quite my haste !

Stephanie Grimpe

3.0 out of 5 stars however it is a little boring., 11 Feb. 2015
I think that I should have read the orgial book first, it had hummor and heart, however it is a little boring.

Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero (Quick Reads 2014)
Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero (Quick Reads 2014) by Harriet Evans (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2014)