5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!
Definitely deserving of a five star ranking, and Benny's blog is also well worth following.

Published 6 months ago by Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in
Published 7 months ago by Laura Walsham

3.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I was really interested to read this as I already speak one foreign language and am learning another. To be honest, the content in this book could be summed up in a couple of chapters and I suspect most of it is on Benny's website (the end of every chapter has a link to his website for further information). It gets quite repetitive at times and the main message is about immersion. While I agree with his points about using the internet and finding native speakers, not a lot of people have the time to dedicate to his style of learning.
All in all, I found some of the information helpful and did go to his site to look at more, but I'm not sure that this is particularly groundbreaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 10 April 2014
Vincent - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)

I've tried all sorts of language products looking for some way to make sense of the actual process of learning languages, to find some way to become fluent, but this book delivers the reality- that you need to speak it from the start! Great tips and approaches to becoming fluent. Of course, the title isn't meant to be a promise. The point is to really get into learning regardless of your situation, set goals, beat them, and then keep going. All the while, you will actually be SPEAKING the language just like you want to!

Go buy this book, choose the language you want to learn, and get ready to make achieving fluency a much more effective and enjoyable experience. You can hold up on the grammar book (at least for now) as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, but not giving a clear language learning approach, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I just finished reading the book. The book is great for motivating you to learn a language and Benny Lewis is quite an inspiration!

The media hype helped a lot in convincing me to buy the book. However, I wish this book had more practical examples of how I can approach learning a (only one) specific language. Perhaps I was hoping for a day by day to do list on how to learn a language in 3 months. Towards the end of the book the author gives some guidance on some languages, but the book is trying to cover too many languages and is too high level. The author uses the approach of immediately talking and doing skype calls etc which is fantastic, but I don't think the book has fully answered the question how I can memorise some of the words and genders. To be fair the author does give you examples of how he memorised words, but those approaches will never work for me. I am still uncertain on how to progress between learning words, doing fun things with the language and learning some grammar. I fully agree with the author's approach to learn the language before he travels to the country, this author is clearly realistic and has shared great experiences.

Highly motivating book (I almost gave it 4 stars), but I walk away from this book not knowing what approach to follow going forward. I think it helps to sign up to the author's website version, because Benny Lewis gives some really good advice on there.

5.0 out of 5 stars In at the deep end, 17 April 2014
Someone recommended this book to me, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I can't say that I would have tried it if I hadn't had the recommendation, so I am glad they did.

The reason I would have been reluctant to have a look at this book is that the title suggests that the author has found an easy way to learn a language fast, and that if you pay your money then you can too. If you pay your money.

I was brought up on the Jungle book, and "feed them silence when they say, come with me the easy way", so I was sceptical about feeding them money.

So when I started reading it, I already had one eyebrow raised, with the other at the ready, and was ready to sneer my way through the book.

So I was very pleasantly surprised when I found that the author is not offering an easy way to learn a language, quite the opposite.

This book offers a counter-intuitive way of learning languages, which involves:

1. Lots of time commitment.
2. Sheer bloodyminded determination to get past any social inhibitions that you might have.
3. Plenty of booklearning, but at a later stage than you would normally expect to do it.

Basically, the method is to find people who speak the language, either in your area or line. And start talking to them. A Lot. When you've built up a reasonable level of confidence, THEN you start on the bookwork, to set what you are doing in to a real life context.

So you need to jump in at the deep end and sink not swim. All the better to immerse yourself. And as this is just a metaphor, you can't actually drown. Just hideously humiliate yourself with a bunch of total strangers from another culture :)

So why do I like this book? It offers a counter intuitive method of learning languages, that is not easier than others, and in fact looks harder, but which gives a well argued case for why if you put the effort in that you'll see results within a good time frame. I also like the way that he defines what fluent is. The cover might make you think that the author is offering an easy way, but there don't seem to be any false promises in the book itself.

Another thing that he says is that you should make a public commitment to your learning, to really ramp up the pressure. Well here goes. I'll edit this in a few weeks time to tell you how it went.

4.0 out of 5 stars I find his emails and blog a little more useful than this, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Some of the tips I ignored, but others were okay. I find his emails and blog a little more useful than this, but the book is still a nice read for any new language learners

4.0 out of 5 stars Some useful methods and information, 3 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Some useful methods and information, to get the results you really have to put the hours in which is the one thing I struggle with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great tips., 26 Sep 2014
Great little book.

Picked up lots of tips to help me in my journey to cantonese mastery

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice, 14 Mar 2014
Alan Fisk (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
This book contains a large number of very sensible and practical tips, which would be particularly useful for anyone who needs (not merely wants) to learn a language but is apprehensive about doing so. I think I would advise beginning the study of grammar a little earlier in the language-learning process than Benny does, but I agree with 99 per cent of his advice. There were some techniques that I had never heard of that I shall certainly use from now on. One criticism for the publisher (not the author), though: I hate the cheap newsprint paper on which the book has been printed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Useful Tips, 5 May 2014
Sezza "Serah" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I found the book quite useful for it's modern content re: internet sources. When I was learning languages at school the Internet didn't exist and we had to learn things parrot-fashion, which as the author explains, doesn't always make it stick!

I've given it 3 stars only as it didn't totally meet my requirements. I'm not in a position to travel and I don't have the ability to use some of the resources i.e Skype for online chatting to native speakers. If you're someone who can use this and some of the other facilites he mentions then you'll probably get a lot more out of the book than I felt I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
very good easy read. He show a good way to learn

Fluent in 3 Months
Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis (Paperback - 11 Mar 2014)