4.0 out of 5 stars I find his emails and blog a little more useful than this
Some of the tips I ignored, but others were okay. I find his emails and blog a little more useful than this, but the book is still a nice read for any new language learners
Published 2 months ago by magickit

3.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in
Published 6 months ago by Laura Walsham

3.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I was really interested to read this as I already speak one foreign language and am learning another. To be honest, the content in this book could be summed up in a couple of chapters and I suspect most of it is on Benny's website (the end of every chapter has a link to his website for further information). It gets quite repetitive at times and the main message is about immersion. While I agree with his points about using the internet and finding native speakers, not a lot of people have the time to dedicate to his style of learning.
All in all, I found some of the information helpful and did go to his site to look at more, but I'm not sure that this is particularly groundbreaking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, but not giving a clear language learning approach, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I just finished reading the book. The book is great for motivating you to learn a language and Benny Lewis is quite an inspiration!

The media hype helped a lot in convincing me to buy the book. However, I wish this book had more practical examples of how I can approach learning a (only one) specific language. Perhaps I was hoping for a day by day to do list on how to learn a language in 3 months. Towards the end of the book the author gives some guidance on some languages, but the book is trying to cover too many languages and is too high level. The author uses the approach of immediately talking and doing skype calls etc which is fantastic, but I don't think the book has fully answered the question how I can memorise some of the words and genders. To be fair the author does give you examples of how he memorised words, but those approaches will never work for me. I am still uncertain on how to progress between learning words, doing fun things with the language and learning some grammar. I fully agree with the author's approach to learn the language before he travels to the country, this author is clearly realistic and has shared great experiences.

Highly motivating book (I almost gave it 4 stars), but I walk away from this book not knowing what approach to follow going forward. I think it helps to sign up to the author's website version, because Benny Lewis gives some really good advice on there.

4.0 out of 5 stars I find his emails and blog a little more useful than this, 25 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 10 April 2014
Vincent - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Definitely deserving of a five star ranking, and Benny's blog is also well worth following.

I've tried all sorts of language products looking for some way to make sense of the actual process of learning languages, to find some way to become fluent, but this book delivers the reality- that you need to speak it from the start! Great tips and approaches to becoming fluent. Of course, the title isn't meant to be a promise. The point is to really get into learning regardless of your situation, set goals, beat them, and then keep going. All the while, you will actually be SPEAKING the language just like you want to!

Go buy this book, choose the language you want to learn, and get ready to make achieving fluency a much more effective and enjoyable experience. You can hold up on the grammar book (at least for now) as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes interesting, sometimes tedious., 22 May 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Whilst I enjoyed some parts of the book, I found the constant mention of his website very tedious.
Why not just list it at the beginning ? Every other sentence mentioned it. I get the message - visit your website.

Also found his manner irritating.

Did pick up some tips, but overall would not really recommend.

The book in a nutshell:
speak to people who speak the language you are wishing to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great tips., 26 Sep 2014
Great little book.

Picked up lots of tips to help me in my journey to cantonese mastery

2.0 out of 5 stars far better is "Fluent Forever, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Not too much real substance and a feeling that it's a book that's been padded out to length. Far, far better is "Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget it" by Gabriel Wyner, which is very well thought out and I found extremely helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just what you would expect, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
This is a book that tells you that if you want to learn how to speak with foreign people, you should practice by speaking to them. There are no magic tricks involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice, 14 Mar 2014
Alan Fisk (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
This book contains a large number of very sensible and practical tips, which would be particularly useful for anyone who needs (not merely wants) to learn a language but is apprehensive about doing so. I think I would advise beginning the study of grammar a little earlier in the language-learning process than Benny does, but I agree with 99 per cent of his advice. There were some techniques that I had never heard of that I shall certainly use from now on. One criticism for the publisher (not the author), though: I hate the cheap newsprint paper on which the book has been printed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
very good easy read. He show a good way to learn

Fluent in 3 Months
Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis (Paperback - 11 Mar 2014)