4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring. Very useful tips.
Just finished to read the book and I think it's a great inspiration by a skilled polyglot. I've been learning Norwegian for a while and I still can apply some of the methods he recommends.
Published 2 months ago by Hector

3.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in
Published 12 months ago by Laura Walsham

3.0 out of 5 stars You get out what you put in, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I was really interested to read this as I already speak one foreign language and am learning another. To be honest, the content in this book could be summed up in a couple of chapters and I suspect most of it is on Benny's website (the end of every chapter has a link to his website for further information). It gets quite repetitive at times and the main message is about immersion. While I agree with his points about using the internet and finding native speakers, not a lot of people have the time to dedicate to his style of learning.
All in all, I found some of the information helpful and did go to his site to look at more, but I'm not sure that this is particularly groundbreaking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring. Very useful tips., 31 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
First of all, speak the language from day one and build your knowledge through communication. To do that just have videocalls with language partners. There are plenty of websites to find people that are eager to learn your mother tongue or whatever language you know.
Second: live the language. Think in that language, read newspapers, hear the radio, write a blog, immerse in that language, use apps in your target language, etc.
In this way, you will be able to reach a B1 level in 3 months with a minimum use of text books. Of course you also need persistence and passion.
It was nice to read his point of view about Spanish (my mother tongue Spanish) and some tricks to learn it (and other latin languages).
The book is full of great tips that can boost your learning curve or can motivate you to learn faster.
For me the book and Benny Lewis are absolutely inspiring references to learn Norwegian (in my case) and any other language that I might try in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are stuck with language learning you should definitely read it, 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Very good book, makes you realize your own mistakes in language learning. The tips he gives might sound a bit complicated but actually work! I appreciate most that sentence that says: you cannot skip work. Very well written easy to read and it gave me back the momentum of language learning.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book, and it is inspiring, 19 Feb. 2015
This is a good book, and it is inspiring! The only downfall with the authors technique is that you simply cannot just speak a language, you do need a word base before you get to this stage. Other than this, it is a great read, and I have taken away a few hints and tips! I have watched the author online, and he is amazing to watch, and every language he speaks, he speaks it like a native. I do believe that anyone can do it in they put their mind to it. I have started to learn while I am sitting on the train, or waiting for a train. It is all learning at the end of the day, and learning a language is a good way to fill these boring gaps in life - why not? :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 28 Feb. 2015
This is good, not only because there's lots of helpful advice and links to useful resources, but because it is also encouraging to those who might think they have no natural talent for foreign languages. The approach to learning a language is quite different from mine, which is academic, because of how I was originally taught Latin, Greek (Ancient) and even French, and essentially how I tackled Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, but is one I might very well try for my next language. It'll be interesting to see if it works for me!

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, but not giving a clear language learning approach, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I just finished reading the book. The book is great for motivating you to learn a language and Benny Lewis is quite an inspiration!

The media hype helped a lot in convincing me to buy the book. However, I wish this book had more practical examples of how I can approach learning a (only one) specific language. Perhaps I was hoping for a day by day to do list on how to learn a language in 3 months. Towards the end of the book the author gives some guidance on some languages, but the book is trying to cover too many languages and is too high level. The author uses the approach of immediately talking and doing skype calls etc which is fantastic, but I don't think the book has fully answered the question how I can memorise some of the words and genders. To be fair the author does give you examples of how he memorised words, but those approaches will never work for me. I am still uncertain on how to progress between learning words, doing fun things with the language and learning some grammar. I fully agree with the author's approach to learn the language before he travels to the country, this author is clearly realistic and has shared great experiences.

Highly motivating book (I almost gave it 4 stars), but I walk away from this book not knowing what approach to follow going forward. I think it helps to sign up to the author's website version, because Benny Lewis gives some really good advice on there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Even though there is some useful information in this book, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
I am trying to learn Spanish and was really struggling with memorising much at all. Started looking for something that could help me with the learning and memorising process.

Even though there is some useful information in this book, I found in general the information given was what I saw - and I think a lot of others would see, as nothing more than common sense, and information readily at hand on the internet.

I sometimes wonder if some of those that grasp learning languages so easily, really are on the same page as those that struggle with the learning - and just wonder why we 'don't get it' as easily as them.

I know there must be those out there that do - but unfortunately not in this book.

On finishing the book I was not left with a feeling of optimism and any greater confidence, and felt this may be a man who can learn languages easily enough - but really doesn't know how to teach that art.

2.0 out of 5 stars far better is "Fluent Forever, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Fluent in 3 Months (Paperback)
Not too much real substance and a feeling that it's a book that's been padded out to length. Far, far better is "Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget it" by Gabriel Wyner, which is very well thought out and I found extremely helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best source of language learning advice......, 24 Jan. 2015
I taught myself Spanish after reading the online PDF version Benny Lewis originally did. The advice was crucial to my success and the value is worth 100x that of which you have to pay for this book. I can't recommend this enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just what do you mean by fluent?, 8 Jan. 2015
The problem starts with the title; just what do you mean by fluency? If you think that means reaching the same level as you have in your first language, you will never do that in three months. If you mean that you can hold general conversations without making significant grammatical errors that is quite possible. And, of course, fluent does not mean the same as well; you can speak a language badly with lots of errors but still be fluent, equally you can speak with exact precision and yet not be.

Fluent in 3 Months
Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis (Paperback - 11 Mar. 2014)