Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2014
I love the story, though i wish to know more details about what happened to the parents (as i love true crime story genre as well). I used to think i might want to foster one day but this story puts me off, only super brave and kind person like the author can stand it really. A new respect to selfless foster parents everywhere. This is really a very fascinating account. Well written. Hard to put down.
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2014
As a first time book for Rosie I did find I compared it with Cathy Glass or Casey Watson, but on saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it an excellent, easy book to read.

It was lovely in the end finding out how Rosie made such a difference to Phoebe's life. You could feel her frustration with 'the system'.

A lovely ending which did have me in tears.
on 12 June 2014
This book has some very sad content, but the foster carer helps this child out of her world of pain. I could not put this book down. It makes feel good that there are brilliant carers out there who help these children. The book also gives an insight into the care system. If you like Cathy Glass and Casey Watson books, this will appeal to you.
on 4 March 2016
This book is amazing in the way that it is an actual truth of what it is really like to be foster carer. I am a foster carer and I could relate to so many things in this book. I have never had a placement as extreme as this where the abuse was so bad. It's good to hear about someone else's experience in case it is something I am faced with in the future. One part of fostering that really gets to me is that when the child comes into care filthy with no clean clothes and then you get to contact and the parents who neglected them have the cheek to complain that they have a bit of ice cream on their child's face and then you as the carer are then treated like a criminal and get a telling off from the social worker, WTF are you serious. It's no wonder a lot of the people I know have given up fostering the parents get away with so much and everything the foster carer does is scrutinised, sorry rant over. Read this book it's a must!
on 4 March 2014
I was up for half of the night reading this book by Rosie Lewis.

I enjoy reading foster care stories by Casey Watson and Cathy Glass and found this book by Rosie Lewis very intresting and although upsetting at times it was uplifting towards the end as we saw how the little girl grew in a loving placement.
I think its intresting how Rosie wrote of how others reacted to Phoebe and how people are sometimes not very understanding of a child with learning and emotional difficulties needs.
I look forward to reading the next book by Rosie Lewis and hope she carries on with the books and also with her great work at helping children.
on 30 June 2014
Five stars because I was given the opportunity to read the first ten chapters for free. What the girl must have endured makes it easier to understand the way she acted. The authors’/foster carers’ recognition of the subtle tell-tale signs & what she did to protect her from going through it again. Its quite emotional & the ending (even though it’s not the end) is a happy one. I’d recommend it to someone doing social studies for obvious reasons.
on 7 December 2014
THIS IS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS THAT REALLY TELL MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN. BUT IT IS MADE EVEN WORSE AS THE RECEIPIENT IS A CHILD. ROSIE HAS THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT COMBINED WITH THE ABILITY TO REALISE THE UNDERLYING PROBLEMS, AND THE ABILITY TO GAIN THE CHILD'S CONFIDENCE LEADING TO THE TRUTH BEING TOLD.
I HAVE GREAT REGARD FOR ROSIE AND OTHERS LIKE HER, I CERTAINLY COULDN'T TAKE ON WHAT AT TIMES IS AN HORRIFIC REALLITY.
on 12 March 2015
I read this book with some anxiety knowing something horrific was about to come to light and of course it did , I don't know how a parent could be so horrifically abusive towards there own child but as Rosie explains through her sheer determination and willingness to help the poor child things can only get better , excellent read.
on 7 January 2015
This is not the type of book I would usually read but it was recommended to me and I am glad it was.

It's not easy reading about the circumstances that bring children into care but what Rosie does for these children is simply wonderful.

As well as being moving it is extremely well written and a page turner.
on 24 June 2014
This is an incredibly moving book. How can a civilised society still have people who abuse children in this way? It also gave a fascinating insight into autism, of which I know very little.

Rosie Lewis shows her caring and firm nature beautifully. It is to be hoped that Phoebe finds happiness.