Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

4.6 out of 5 stars1,653

on 2 May 2012
This was one of the most anticipated books of the year and I know why. I LOVED Divergent as you can read from my review. I was late to the Divergent series party, but on the plus side I only had to wait a few months to get my hand on the sequel and boy was that a long few months. I don't know if I can wait a whole year for the third book in the series.

There are some spoilers in this review if you haven't read Divergent so be warned.

We have already been introduced to the dystopian society that Tris lives in and the five factions within it, but we learn so much more about them in Insurgent and more about the fantastic characters that make this series. Insurgent carries on right where Divergent left off. Tris made it into her chosen faction of Dauntless but now the factions are at war. Her and Four are still together and they meet up with a few surviving members of Abnegation, Erudite and Dauntless and try to find a safe haven. Amity refuse to take sides

Tris and Four learn a lot about each other through this book, there are a lot of rough patches that they go through and I wasn't sure they'd survive it. Their character grow and so does their love, but they still have trust issues, they are both stubborn and strong, not always a good combination. There are some sweet and swoon worthy romantic scenes, I would love to see more of these in the next book. Tris matures a lot throughout this book and you forget she's only a sixteen year old girl. She makes some stupid decisions I feel in this book, but always has her wits about her and always gives herself a fighting chance.

I really enjoyed learning more about how the Divergent are different to others in the factions in this book, even into the broken down elements of their brain, it was a really interesting read. I also loved reading more about the factions especially Amity we didn't hear much about in the Divergent.

Divergent is one of my favourite books and was unsure Insurgent could live up to it, but I was wrong, it was as awesome as Divergent was. The ending was brilliant, it came together answering so many questions, but left us hanging with an almighty cliffhanger. I was so tense through out reading this that I didn't relax until the end. Even then it was all I could think about. What's going to happen now?

This is one of the most action packed books I have read. Something happens on every page, bullets, punches and threats fly from all angles. Nothing in this book is black and white, good or evil, everyone has a reason for what they do whether it is right or not in the eyes of others. I can guarantee you will not be able to put this down, you won't eat, sleep or shower until you have gotten to the end of this book, it truly is amazing and Veronica Roth has totally blown me away.
on 23 April 2014
I absolutely loved Divergent, the first novel in Veronica Roth’s dystopian trilogy but then I also felt the same way about The Hunger Games and then became just that little bit more disappointed as the series unfolded. I truly hoped that Insurgent would grow in story and strength and drive me to the last book in the series. I was to be honest a little bit disappointed.

Firstly there is no gentle lead into the book, it dives straight in with no recap of the events of Book 1, which means if like me you’ve had a break between books you may need to recap on who’s who in the surrounding characters. This meant I spent the first chapter or so trying to reestablish my understanding of who did what to whom and where allegiances lay.

Secondly I really went off the Hunger Games series when it became too military in it’s nature, all guns and war and fighting and unfortunately Insurgent suffers this same fate. The book is truly just one big series of people picking sides, deciding who will fight who and then people getting shot/injured/captured, delete as appropriate. There were pages where I’d find my mind wandering as Tris suffered yet more angst about who she was shooting, how this tore her apart and what faction she was aligning herself to now. Then I’d snap back to focus and find I hadn’t missed that much.

The book had some redeeming features, it had a brilliant ending that has left me with enough curiosity to read book 3 because I do need to know more about how the series will conclude. Also some of the quieter moments of the book when we stop talking about guns, fighting and war for a few pages and focus on life inside the factions are actually quite nice. It’s a shame that more time wasn’t spent on this instead of the ongoing dramas between Tris & Tobias.

It is clear we are reading a Young Adult novel as the constant need for them to stop all action as soon as they get even remotely intimate is really annoying. It makes their relationship feel transient and less important, like they just skirt around each other and moon around in the middle of a huge war whilst failing to move their relationship beyond petty squabbles and lack of trust.

It is a 3 out of 5 book but only just, I give it this mark in hope that book 3 will make the drawn out nature of this book apparent by explaining why it had to be written the way Roth did. Too much action and not enough emotive writing means it fell short of expectation.
on 2 February 2015
I could not put this book down. I kept saying to myself one more chapter, with turned to 3. The flow of the book is amazing it is very easy to get lost in Tris' world. The story is very fast paced. Even being a slow reader, I ended up finishing the book in less than one weekend and started the next book straight away.

This deals with the fallout from the last book. Tris has to deal with the trauma of being forced to kill one of her best friends. That fact that it was self-defence does not seem to make it any easier. To this end she is incapable of carrying or firing a gun. This makes her a liability in certain life and death situations. Hiding her grief and guilt also puts a wedge between her and 4.

4 himself must make peace his former life as Tobias. A ghost of his past is resurrected with their own agenda. If you read 4 (the book) you can probably guess who that is otherwise read this one and enjoy. The factions themselves are in disarray. Half the Abnegation are dead. The Dauntless are split, by those that are pi$$ed with the Erudite and those who have decided to side with them (the latter group are branded Dauntless tractors). Both the Amity and Candor have managed to stay natural but they are reminded of their place in the pecking order by the Erudite. There are many revelations in the book (that keep coming till the last page), why the Erudite decided now was the time to attack, and what is their next move. Also Tris and Tobias may need to make deals with different devils to do what they believe is right possible at the expense of their own relationship.

This is a great book I really enjoyed it. It is not quite as action packed as the first book, but seems to move at an even faster pace. I don't mind missing some of the action in favour of character development. Once I started I had to know what happened next.
I am very late to the Divergent party and now really wish I had been punctual and read the books when they originally came out. I am absolutely hooked to the Divergent world and this second book was unbelievably even more unputdownable than Divergent. I had actually said to myself the other night that I was just going to read the first few chapters and then go to sleep but I ended up reading half of the book as I just had to know what happened to certain characters at a majorly large book plot moment. If you are a fan of YA and dystopian and are one of the rare few like me who haven't yet read the Divergent series then I highly recommend the series and urge you to read it. There are no book spoilers for Insurgent in this review but there are spoilers for the first book Divergent so don't read any further if you haven't read Divergent and don't want to know anything.

Wow what an ending to the first book! This book follows immediately on from the first with no breaks which I love when a series does this as it makes the world feel more real to me. Anyway following the attack simulation which Tris and Four managed to stop with the help of her Father, Marcus, Peter and Caleb the five remaining of them escape the madness on one of the trains headed for the Amity compound. Once there they call upon the Amity to choose a side as now all out war is threatening to take over their city with half of the Dauntless mortified of what the Erudite did to them and they have taken up with Candor and the other half more than happy to continue on with Erudite and their mad leader Jeanine. So will Amity choose a side or stay on the fence? Will Tris and Four manage to overthrow Erudite and Jeanine or has she darker plans for them and their friends? Will Christine be okay and will she forgive Tris if Tris reveals the truth about Will? And just what is the great secret if there is actually one that Abnegation didn't want to fall into Jeanine's hands?

An absolutely amazing read and I have been drawn into the world of Divergent and don't want to come back out. I absolutely love the character's Tris and Four and love the world that Veronica Roth has built. I have read some amazing books this year and this one is right up there with the best ones. I literally couldn't put the book down until after chapter 36 at one point and when you read the book you will see why. Also just when you think Veronica can't surely add any more twists to the book.....erm lets just say she does and Allegiant is set to be another amazing read. A must read book for fans of YA and Dystopian.
on 17 June 2013
Oh. My. Gosh.

This was just amazing! I didn’t think that a sequel could be better than the first in a series, but I was so wrong. There was a lot more action, but it was entertaining. I couldn’t put it down. Insurgent takes readers on a journey filled with mystery, adventure, and a search for the truth.

Insurgent was everything I loved about a book. It had that mysterious side, very intriguing, with Tris’ constant search for the truth. The characters were more developed and I really connected with them throughout the story. And there were those crazy shockers that made Insurgent such a page turner! The story line was so creative, and I never knew what was going to happen next.

Although Divergent is a favourite for me, I enjoyed Insurgent more. We learned a lot more about the society Tris lives in, and the way of the factions, which wasn’t really explained in the first book. I also thought Divergent was bit more predictable. Insurgent was totally unpredictable, especially the ending, and you’ll agree with me if you’ve read it. We got to learn a lot more about the characters in Insurgent. Tobias was a bit mysterious and we didn’t know much about him in the first book, but his character really develops in the sequel and we learn about his past.

"Fighting for survival in a shattered world… The truth is her only hope"

We were introduced to a lot of new characters in this book, as well as learning more about the main characters. I liked that we got to know more about each of the factions and their way of living. I loved the cover of the book, the symbol of Amity, and thought that it really suited the story. It definitely helped me to understand their society better.

Insurgent was definitely action-packed, but it wasn’t overloaded with it. No one likes a story where they are constantly fighting. Everything was leading up to the nail-biting action moments. So, I’m not a big fan of action novels, but if you have just the right amount along with great writing and other the other aspects of a good story, it can be brilliant.

"I have done bad things. I can’t take them back, and they are part of who I am."

There were a lot of moments I was anticipating when I started reading Insurgent. Tris having to break the news to Christina that she killed Will was a big one. I liked that Tris wasn’t made out to be this big hero that’s indestructible. She had to suffer the guilt of killing one of her best friends. Tris’ search for the truth made Insurgent a page turner for me. Veronica Roth did a great job at pulling her readers into the story.

The ending was the biggest shocker! There was a time at the end when I thought we would find out the secret that was being hidden from he rest of the society, but during the last few pages the truth was revealed. Everything was leading up to the shocker of an ending and I was certainly surprised. After I finished the book, I couldn’t believe that I had to wait so long for the third book in the series. All I can say is, well done Veronica, brilliant ending.

Overall, I loved Insurgent and it is one of my favourite books. Veronica Roth is a brilliant writer, and great at keeping her members hooked onto the story. There isn’t really anything negative I can say about Insurgent, it’s just perfect. I can’t wait to read the third book in the Divergent series and check out any of Veronica’s future works.

~Jack
on 26 August 2012
I've been putting off writing this review for too long! I needed plenty of time to digest my thoughts, but it's been long enough. Insurgent is a fabulously fast-paced and action-packed addition to the Divergent trilogy. It begins just seconds after the first book, Divergent, has ended. The blood-pumping action and vivid world building will not disappoint a single reader. There were, however, other things beyond the action and glimpses into the other factions that led me to not enjoy this book as much as the first one.

Tris is a completely different person. While I understand that the horrific and gruesome events at the end of Divergent would affect anyone, Tris has changed by the beginning of the second book. In Insurgent, she's much more impulsive and rash, and more often than not, she's lost the ability to be cool and calculated. It's her extreme death wish that causes turbulence in her relationship with Tobias (Four). He wants her to calm down and think things through and believes her insane selflessness is actually selfish. And I agree. If she had been killed, nearly all hope would be lost! But Tris doesn't think like that when she thinks everything has gone to the dogs. I am by no means implying that this character change isn't believable or written well, I just found it annoying.

The writing in this book is absolutely superb! Veronica Roth manages to weave in so much more world building than in Divergent, while upping the pace dramatically. The pacing was so quick and intense, it felt like there was a gun pointed to the reader's head. Perhaps that's also why you feel like you can't stop reading! I adored discovering new things about the other factions that we hadn't seen much of before. In Insurgent, Tris visits all of the faction compounds and the reader gets a better sense of what each one is about. Well done, there.

Overall, this book is extremely action-packed. Bullets will fly when you read this book. However, I got distracted at times by Tris not thinking like she used to and acting too impulsively. With that being said, I truly cannot wait to get my hands on the third book (whatever it may be called!). Insurgent ends with a huge bang and will leave everyone gasping for answers straight away. I recommend this book to any action junkie, especially if you like unique dystopias.
on 28 May 2012
Everybody knows that anticipation can be both wonderful and terrible. When you spend a long time wanting something, sometimes when you get it, it fails to meet all those high expectations. That was not the case with Roth's sequel.

INSURGENT LIVED UP TO MY EVERY HOPE!

The dystopia in which Tris lives becomes even more vivid in Insurgent. The politics and power-struggles are more fierce, the themes of control and rebellion are more poignant. I loved the direction that this book took.

Tris and Four's relationship hit some speed--bumps in this book, which is common in sequels. However, I'm glad that this remained a background conflict. Both Divergent and Insurgent keep the love interest as a pleasant aside, instead of making it the heart and soul of the story.

I particularly loved the exploration of each faction in this book. While we saw a lot of the Abnegation and Dauntless factions in the first book, there were more situations involving Amity, Erudite and also The Factionless in Insurgent. I also really enjoyed how much more we learned about Tobias/Four's family.

In my opinion, the book had only two teeny-tiny little drawbacks. Nothing so big that I'm going to give this any less than five stars! The first was that Tris kept shutting Tobias out. I always find it irksome in books when characters don;t just talk about things which are blatantly going to cause trouble. Still, it did up the conflict. The second thing was something which always annoys me about sequels...

You know when you watch a TV show which ends on a big cliffhanger and then you have to wait a week for the second part? Well, before part two airs there's always a catch up, right? A quick 'n' dirty thirty-second recap which just refreshes the ol' noggin. Well, the older I get and the more books I read, the more I think all series books should have a paragraph or two at the start which reminds people like me what the hell is going on! Like I said, I'm not gonna take a star off because I get confused easily! He he.

All in all, this rocked. I can't wait for book three to come out. The ending of this book promises BIG things and it's going to be an agonising wait!
on 12 May 2012
BOOM!

That's what reading Insurgent was like. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! It's fast paced, exciting, action-packed and full of twists that will have readers on the edge of their seats. Veronica Roth has delivered a mind-blowing sequel!

Insurgent picks up from where Divergent left off. We follow Tris and Four as they take a journey to find out what's really going on between the factions. They take shelter with Amity, which I found extremely interesting because all we saw in Divergent was a whole lot of Dauntless and glimpses of Erudite and Abnegation. It was great to see what the Amity was like in the stability of their own land. I loved the new atmosphere that the book had and the pure joy of reading scenes with Tobias in it!

Yes, Tris has decided to call him Tobias! And may I say, what a great choice! In this book we get lots more Tris and Tobias romance (no objections here) and I loved every page of it. Tobias is a very protective and strong male character who definitely deserves are equally strong female character, Tris. Their relationship in this book wasn't exactly the most simple or the most perfect but it was exciting and very, VERY fun to read about!

We all know that Veronica Roth is amazing at writing action scenes, right? Well, she doesn't let us down in this one! Some authors make action scenes so boring but Insurgent never has a dull moment.

Overall, Insurgent is a stunning sequel that has definitely delivered and will satisfy all Divergent fans! If you loved Four in Divergent....be prepared to fall in love with him all over again in this unforgettable book about love, loss and betrayal.
on 10 May 2012
Lesley for Big Book Little Book
Copy received from publisher in exchange for an honest review.

If you have read Divergent (and if you haven't look away!) you will know that Tris, at age 16, went through the choosing ceremony and made a choice to leave her own faction of Abnegation and join Dauntless. Then later on we find out that her simulation results indicated that she had an aptitude for 3 factions and could have chosen any one of them - that she was in fact Divergent. That choice has led her on a roller coaster of an adventure, as she went through the violent Dauntless initiation process, was picked on for her size and quickly learnt who her enemies were. She also begins to realise that all is not well between the five factions and that in fact a war is coming.

Insurgent takes up where Divergent left off, with Tris and Tobias heading for the safety of Amity after the horrific Erudite attack. There is no recapping so it may be an idea to have a re-read of Divergent first to remind yourself of where the story is up to. Insurgent is fast paced and keeps you gripped. I have to keep reminding myself that Tris is just a mere 16 years old, one who has lost her parents and whose life is at risk for her Divergent qualities.

Divergent introduces us to the five factions; Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless and Erudite. In Insurgent we get to know each faction better. Although each has their own particular set of beliefs and morals, there is a consequence for holding those ideals so highly. For example, Candor values honesty, but yet they value it so highly that they have no thought to the damage that it might cause. Dauntless are free and value bravery but their chaotic way of life and complete recklessness leads to much unnecessary damage and death.

There is much fighting and loss and Tris is truly on a journey as she battles, not only to find out the `truth' and what the significance of the `Divergent' is, but also to battle her inner demons as she comes to terms with all that has happened. She seems increasingly reckless and finds it hard to make the right choice as her guilt and grief threaten to overwhelm her and at times I admit to getting frustrated with her and wanting to shout at her!

Tris and Tobias (Four) seem more apart than they are together for a lot of the book as they battle their demons separately and find it hard to trust and completely let go and be honest with each other about what they are each dealing with. Yet their underlying commitment to each other despite everything is very touching but it's heart breaking at times as Tris is so conflicted as she wants to reach out and touch Tobias and be close to him, yet constantly holds back because of her pain and confusion. There is a lot of emotion going on that sweeps you right up with it. Phew!

The last few chapters are pretty relentless and I even confess to getting a wee bit confused and having to go back and re-read a few pages there is so much going on! There is a twist in the end... not completely unpredictable but it's left me musing over society and its ills and how easily society could get to this place. Scary stuff!

This is a fast paced and very gripping sequel to Divergent. I completely loved Divergent and still love it a little more than Insurgent, but am hooked on the story as a whole and cannot wait for the final part of the Trilogy to make its appearance next year.
Review: Ever since I finished Divergent, I wanted to know what would happen next. I also hoped that book two would be just as good as book one, something that happens less often than not. Luckily, with Divergent/Insurgent, I was not disappointed.
You definitely have to have read Divergent-it jumps straight into the action with very little flashbacking to the events of the previous novel. Which is good, but when it's been a year since you've read book one, it takes a little time to get used to it.
There is so much packed into the 525 pages that it's surprising that it's surprising It's not longer. There isn't a moment in the whole novel when Tris is not on the run, about to be executed, being forced to do something she'd rather not, and generally trying to stay alive. Everything happens in such quick succession, there just isn't a convenient place to stop. Not even the end.
I'm glad we get to see more of Candor and Amity, the factions that Tris didn't have aptitude for, because they wee fairly overlook in Divergent. In Insurgent, they get their fair share of coverage which sets us up nicely for what we might be getting in book three.
There's a huge amount of characters in this, a few new, mostly recurring and most in different lights to what we had in book one. Some of them were a little hard to keep up with, especially with similar names. It's also a little confusing with Tris going back and forth between factions in various states of captivity. However, it was easy though to fill in gaps.
Once again, the writing is great. It details everything and gives all the characters their own personality, their secrets, and strengths and weaknesses.
The thing that got me most was the way that Veronica managed to make me feel for all the characters when they die. Especially the minor ones. General thought processes: somebody major dies-good for them. Somebody we've seen for a couple of pages dies-NO NO NO WHY. And considering I don't normally care about character deaths, that's saying something.
And the ending. What a cliffhanger. And now we have to wait another year or so for the third and final book. Damn.

Overall:Strength 5 tea. It's difficult to top Divergent. Insurgent did.