5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Published on 20 Feb 2006 by xox_xtinkerbellx_xox

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland YA gay romance set in a LGBT utopia
Paul's a sophomore at a high school in a small town where homosexuality is completely accepted by all except the most religious (including the ultra religious parents on his gay best friend Tony) and the captain of the football team is also the homecoming queen known as Infinite Darlene.

When Paul meets Noah, he knows that he's in love. But Paul's life isn't...
Published 16 months ago by I Read, Therefore I Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!, 20 Feb 2006
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Paperback)
I'm a girl and i thought this book was FANTASTIC!!!! My friend reccomended it and I loved it! I loved the fact that in the book everyone got on and accepted who people were, be they gay, straight or bisexual e.t.c! The characters were fantastic! Each with their own different quirks! It also shows the complications of relationships from the perspective of being gay, one which is not often shown. I have a gay friend and he said he could relate well to the main character
A brilliant book! Deffinate buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 13 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Hardcover)
This book made me want to fall in love, pure and simple. The writing style is elegant and witty, and the overall story is very touching. Boy Meets Boy has an fascinating array of background characters, all set in a fantastically liberal (and unfortunately non-existent) American high school, and is entirely unlike any other book I've read - and it doesn't try to ram 'issues' down your throat. Highly recommended, particularly (although by no means exclusively) to gay males with a romantic disposition...

5.0 out of 5 stars Purely beautiful, 5 May 2006
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Paperback)
I was asked about this book in my Livejournal, and instead of typing out about plot and character, I'll copy my ramble over to here. I think it should give people a pretty good idea of what they're getting into.

Boy meets Boy by David Levithan.

I'm tempted to type out another bit of text, just so show how fantastic the book is. My favourite passage? From the first few pages, and the moment I fell in love with the book:

"But a part of me still fell in hope with him. I want a fair world. And in a fair world, Tony would shine. I could tell him this, but he wouldn't except it. He would just leave it on the island instead of folding it up and keeping it with him, just to know it was there."

Then, a little further on "When he says "I like it here", I don't want there to be a sad undertone. I want to be able to say So stay"

I love this book. Reading it is like...a comfort act. Some people read the bible for comfort, and I've really never understood that though I know I shouldn't been comparing some teen coming-out romance book to the bible, but even a few sentences from this book had an affect on me. In the worst of time, it makes me weep, and in the best it gives me hope. It is my dream book. I wish I lived in that town, in that version of the world, went to that school, knew those people.

I started reading it again two days ago, and this time around it means so much more. Everything in it is so...beautiful. The book feels fragile, and every time a dramatic event occurs I can't stop reading for fear that if I don't get past it, it will crumble in my hands. I read the first 5 pages two days ago. I couldn't read anymore, because reading it is like a constant reminder of how the world *shoud* be, but isn't. Last night I read more, I began to get into the meat of the story and more and more I kept thinking "Yes, exactly, I know that feeling." And they're the happy feelings. *Those* moments, that are undefinable, the little smile and blush at an off-hand comment that for some reason has you walking on air. The excitement, the rush, and the feeling that one day because of all this maybe things will be better than you could imagine in ways you can't even begin to understand yet.

So...that's my personal view on the book. I really think everyone should read it. Completely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 July 2006
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Paperback)
I've seen other people say that this book is "beautiful", which is absolutely the right word. I thought this book was strange and wonderful. If people say they don't like it because it's not realistic, then fine, but I don't think it's MEANT to be realistic.

It's about Paul, a gay teenager, and his life, friends and loves. However it is far from a cliched gay teen novel. At the start of the book, he meets Noah, who entrances him. And really from there on in it follows Paul and how he deals with his varied and extrovert group of friends, and with being in love, with all the usual teenage dramas but just with the twist of being set in a slightly unusual place...

It's set in a place where, in the main, being gay is not a big deal. In fact, being different in any way is not a big deal. I think the perfect description is actually a passage from the book, on the 1st page:

"There isn't really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They all got mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best... Most of the straight guys try to sneak into the Queer Beer bar. Boys who love boys flirt with girls who love girls. And whether your heart is strictly ballroom or bluegrass punk, the dance floors are open to whatever you have to offer."

To me, that immediately drew me in as it sounds like the kind of world we should all want to be part of. This book is light-hearted, funny and serious. Any teen, male or female, gay or straight, could benefit greatly from this book, and have a lot of fun reading it at the same time. It really makes you think about how you act, how people around you act, and is also wonderful for pure escapism and enjoyment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland YA gay romance set in a LGBT utopia, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Paperback)

When Paul meets Noah, he knows that he's in love. But Paul's life isn't simple. His best friend, Jodi, is dating the piggish Chuck who's got a grudge against Infinite Darlene. Paul's ex-boyfriend, Kyle, stalks and bad-mouths him, convinced that Paul tricked him into a relationship. Guilty at how their relationship ended and knowing that Kyle is confused about his sexuality, Paul's attempts to help lead to him losing Noah. To win back Noah, Paul must regain his trust but doing so will involve Paul wooing him all over again ...

David Levithan's YA novel is a sweet LGBT romance but while I liked the fact that it's set in a LGBT utopia, the plot is paper thin, key plot lines don't get resolved and the re-wooing of Noah is sadly skipped over given that it's supposed to be a main strand of the book.

The big problem is that the main characters of Paul and Noah are pretty bland. Paul's led a largely charmed life until he meets Noah, while Noah has trust issues following a bad break up in a previous relationship. Although their romance is sweetly depicted, the re-wooing is dealt with main in exposition during the last few pages when it should be a main plot strange.

There was potential in the argument between Paul and Jodi, his oldest friend who's completely absorbed with Chuck but Levithan fails to explore it and the resolution is poorly handled while Tony's problems with his parents felt superficial and has nothing new to say on a very difficult subject that's real to many LGBT teens.

Infinite Darlene was the only vibrant character in the book, with her brash confidence and common sense and I missed her when she wasn't on the page. As an aside, there are no notable female characters in this book, which I found a shame for a story that's supposed to be in a utopia of equality and acceptance.

All in all, it's not a bad book and while I did feel it was a wasted opportunity, I'd be interested in reading Levithan's other work.

Free review copy from publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suddenly one of my favourite books!, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Hardcover)
Recommended to me by a friend, this isn't the type of book I normally read. Now it is one of my favourite books of all time.
A beautifully crafted story that follows "Paul" a boy in his late teens as he discovers "Noah", the new guy in town. It is a well crafted story set in a very accessible world. Paul is accompanied by a plethora of colourful characters from drag queen, all star quarterback "Infinite Darlene" to the quiet, Christian boy "Tony".
This is one of the few books that I have finished reading and wished that I could have it erased from my memory, simply so I could discover the book all over again.
A story of love, loss and being young, this book has a lot of heart.
Xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic author and epic book!, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Paperback)
This was the second book that i read whilst on holiday. I intended for this to last me a week but yet again this proved to be extremely addictive and really difficult to put down! You get sucked in to the stories of the characters and the author provides you with hundreds of various emotions through this book! If you want to read on book, then please....read this one. It is absolutely lovely! :) x

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful story...., 7 April 2005
J. M. OVER "jezzyvision" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Hardcover)
I cannot tell you just how much I love this book! It is so beautifully written. It's not just the love aspect of this book that is so touching, but the portrayal of friendship too. The friendship between Paul and Tony is particularly striking, and the comments and views that Tony expresses in the story are very insightful concerning his situation. This book is not just for teens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy Meets Boy, 11 Mar 2005
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Hardcover)
Boy Meets Boy is a story about a group of school kids growing up in a very diverse society. Nobody seems to care if your gay, bi or straight, male of female. This provides a homophobia-free environment for the story to take place in. The book ia written entirely in first person, from the point of view of Paul, a gay teenager.
The book opens up with a description of one of Paul's friends, Tony and describes the town that they live in. Zeke, another on of Paul's friends is gigging at the local bookstore where he meets Noah, who changes everything. The two become boyfriends, hence the title, Boy Meets Boy.
The book is targeted at gay teens as something to pick up and hopefully feel right, its a book that says being gay is normal and that people should be more accepting, but above all its a book that you can smile about. A gay book with a happy ending. I would recommend anyone to read this, even if you've finished school. Its just a pitty that life isnt really like the book protrays is to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Opinion is split, 5 Aug 2006
Daniel Park "danielpark99" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boy Meets Boy (Paperback)
When reading reviews on this one, opinion seems to be generally split as to whether this book is excellent or simply tripe. The answer to this question very much depends on how you view the characterisations within this story. I don't dispute that some of the characterisations, particularly that of Tony, the boy who decides to abide by his parents narrow view of life because he loves them, are extremely poignant - oh, and by the way, having a boo-hiss campy enemy who glories under the name of Trilby Pope is fab-u-lous! but, in my opinion, the main protagonists of the novel - Paul (the rather flat "hero"), Noah (the similarly wet love interest) and the not-all-that-outrageous Infinite Darlene, are surprisingly one-dimensional. It is also quite difficult to cut through the Americanisms in this novel. If you compare it to, say, the Rainbow series by Alex Sanchez (also set in an American High School environment) then it is clearly inferior in terms of couching concepts in a way that is clear for a UK reader to understand - it is not a favourable comparison at all, I'm sad to say.

In the end, the premise of this novel - to produce a homonormative High School world - is highly laudable, but the opportunity to make something from it is lost in generally weak characterisations and baffling Americanisms. It's not horrible, but it is dissapointing.

ARRAY(0xb1d0e240)

Boy Meets Boy
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)
5.59