5.0 out of 5 stars Wally Lamb does it again.
Published 8 months ago by Gypsy Davey

3.0 out of 5 stars Editor asleep at the Wheel
Published 7 months ago by David Madden

5.0 out of 5 stars Wally Lamb does it again., 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: We Are Water (Kindle Edition)
A lady in her early fifties decides that she is gay, leaves her husband of twenty seven years and her three grown-up children to enter into a lesbian relationship and eventual marriage. This is perhaps not the most earth-shattering premise for a contemporary novel, but Wally Lamb is by no means a run of the mill modern novelist. Indeed, in his masterful hands, the events leading up to Annie's wedding and the extensive back story of the characters involved, make this one of the most fascinating and intriguing novels that I have ever read.

When I posted a review of Wally Lamb's previous book (The Hour I First Believed), I referred to it as "Possibly the finest novel I have ever read" and although that sentiment holds true, "We are Water" comes very close. Once again, Lamb tackles some pretty controversial subjects, and once again the characters are deeply flawed, but it is these flaws that give the characters their depth. In fact, it is the character development that gives this book its richness. At the outset we think we know the characters, but as the narrative progresses we learn through back story and current events so much more about them - their secrets, weaknesses and frailties, none more so than Annie herself and (ex) husband Orion. As these characters grow and become more familiar, they take on a depth that brings them closer to life and closer to the reader.

The same is true of the children, who are not given their own voices until well into the narrative, and this gives them the opportunity to give us a deeper insight and understanding into Annie and Orion's relationship. As events are viewed from different perspectives we see how damaging and fracturing secrets and misrepresentations can be. Some reviewers, commenting on this say that they have found it boring and repetitive but for me however nothing could be further from the truth. This is where Wally Lamb comes into his own, and demonstrates his astonishing gift for character development.

As previously mentioned, Lamb does not flinch from tackling controversy - homophobia, racism and paedophilia are all approached with an alacrity and pragmatism that one has come to expect from him. Indeed, the sections dealing with paedophilia are among the most compelling but also uncomfortable chapters of the entire book. I suspect that few, if any writers could describe these scenes with the insight that Wally Lamb brings to them. His remarkable attention to detail and his even pacing of events allows us to get to know these characters intimately by the end of the book - we may not like them, but I don't think that is the point of the exercise, we know them for all their faults and failings.

Ultimately, "We are Water" is a journey; a journey of discovery and redemption. It is also a story of love and honesty, told with passion and sometimes humour, but at no time does it preach to its readers. It is a book I enjoyed immensely, as I have enjoyed all of Wally Lamb's previous books, and like his previous books, the characters linger long in the memory. I look forward to Mr. Lamb's next offering, and have no hesitation in recommending this book wholeheartedly, a triumph!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little too long!, 11 Dec 2013
HM Patterson (Chippenham Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Water (Kindle Edition)
I did like this book but for some reason found it a little tedious towards the end. Probably because it is a BIG read. I love Wally Lamb's books but I don't think this is quite as good as his others. It left me feeling a little empty and a little disappointed. In saying that it is a good book and I did overall enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another thoughtful and thought-provoking classic Lamb, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: We Are Water (Kindle Edition)
A difficult read - yes. But a subject that needs to be addressed without hyperbole if we are ever to break the vicious circle of abuse. Wally tackles this subject with his usual fluidity, making it possible to read on, even through quite harrowing passages.

Ever since I've stumbled across his second novel, I've been a keen fan. This novel deepens my respect for Wally's work and makes me impatient for his next. Wally, your humanity speaks (through every one of your) volumes! Thanks for your hard work. Keep it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: We Are Water (Paperback)
One of the best books that O have read

4.0 out of 5 stars another great book, 16 May 2014
This review is from: We Are Water (Kindle Edition)
Although some of the subject matter is tough to read, the story is compelling and original as always and I love the links to previous books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wally can do no wrong, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: We Are Water (Paperback)
Yet another fantasic novel from Wally Lamb. If you haven't discovered this author yet then you really should buy all his books and treat yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars another triumph, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: We Are Water (Kindle Edition)
love wally lamb books and this didn't disappoint read it quickly and and wanted more perfect wish I ahd saved for holiday read

5.0 out of 5 stars We are Water by Wally Lamb, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: We Are Water (Paperback)
Wonderful character descriptions throughout - emotive and involved storylines - never dull or predictable. The last book
I enjoyed this much was The Hour I first believed - also by Wally Lamb.

3.0 out of 5 stars Editor asleep at the Wheel, 31 Dec 2013
David Madden (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Water (Paperback)
The phrase "Falling Asleep at the Wheel" was repeated several times in this book. I think it's very apt as the editor definitely fell asleep on this one. The novel is simply too long and it was a little tiresome and repetitive in parts. The story is reasonable and pacey but I found the characters too much like the characters in Lamb's other books. Why do so many of his female characters suffer abuse? It's very much a recurring theme in this book but it's nowhere near as good as 'I Know this Much is True'. I think the book is too much of a commitment for insufficient reward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Favourite author of all time., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Are Water (Paperback)
I love Wally Lamb's books he is my all time favourite author. His previous books I read and could not put down and go back to from time to time. This is quite different from his previous work and I have not been captured by the characters in the same way. But saying that I haven't finished and I do get the sense it is building to something and I look forward to finishing it. When I read "This much I know is true" I felt that was so brilliant it couldn't be bettered. Then I read " The hour I first believed" and realised it could get better. I have kept this book for a few weeks as I didn't want to read it and then feel I had lost something once finished. But it is a real slow burner and I am enjoying it but not as much as his previous work. Never the less I love his work and would recommend it to everyone.

We Are Water
We Are Water by Wally Lamb (Paperback - 22 Oct 2013)
Used & New from: 1.51