Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2013
Well-written and funny it shows background of previously met characters. Its a brilliant book and I recommend it to everyone who has read skullduggery pleasant. Gives good reasons for evil.(- : (-; 0-!
on 2 April 2013
I got this book on friday and finished it the next day, it was a amazing book we got the return of some old favourite bad guys, one of my favourite things about the hardback versions of the books is the artwork for the front cover and this doesnt disapoint a lovely shot on Tanith and if you open the book you get a excellent artwork of the main 7 bad guys of the story and in the back the main 7 good guys, all excellent pictures. The overall story is alot of fun but while it is a spin off it heavily hints on some events for book 8 and even 9. So I feel even though it is a spin off if someone dosnt read this book and they bring up these events in book 8 or 9 the person may feel lost as it makes some interesting points to possible events for book 8 and something regarding the remement within Tanith and the final chapter is pretty cool which may then resurfuce in the following books.
on 26 September 2013
When I first saw this in my local bookshop, my first thought was 'a Skulduggery Pleasant book without Skulduggery Pleasant - well that's just going to be rubbish!' But as the old adage goes, you should never judge a book by its cover because even with the absence of Skulduggery (and Valkyrie), this is a crackingly good book!

In this stand-alone novel set a few weeks after the events of Kingdom of the Wicked, we join Tanith Low (now heavily under the influence of the Remnant bonded to her soul) as she gathers together a crew of seven sorcerers including Springheeled Jack, the vampire Dusk and Billy Ray Sanguine, as they hatch a plan to steal four god-killer weapons scattered around the world. On their tail are another band of seven sorcerers led by Dexter Vex, all intent on stopping Tanith and her crew. Let the fighting commence...!

This is a truly awesome book from Landy which doesn't suffer in the slightest from not featuring Skulduggery or Valkyrie. In fact I would go so far as to say it actually benefits from not featuring the detective and his partner, as instead we're given the freedom to discover more about this magical world and the different characters who inhabit it. We learn more about Tanith and get to know characters such as Springheeled Jack a little better, which is strangely appealing given that he and the others in Tanith's group are all essentially VERY evil people.

As we've come to expect from Landy, there is plenty of fighting, grusomeness and violence, but it's nothing worse than what we've already encountered in SP and I actually found it refreshing in this book as we're able to experience a new set of powers from a new set of sorcerers. I won't say anymore about what happens (I hate spoilers), but needless to say if you are a fan of SP you won't be disappointed by this book at all. It delivers all the action, wit, timing and general brilliantness of SP novels, just without Skulduggery and Valkyrie.
on 14 May 2013
This story is hilarious! I don't know how important it is in the grand scheme of things, or if it affects the main Skulduggery plotline, but it's still a brilliant addition to the collection. Tanith was easily one of my favourite characters, and she hasn't lost her charm. Without too many spoilers, she assembles a team of criminals who play off each other very well, even creating an unexpected love triangle! The good guys are a main feature too, and they work very well together as well, with the added bonus of getting to know Dexter Vex a little better. We are given some insight into Tanith's life and how she came to be what she is, plus an interesting development dating back to the end of the very first book - I'm sure that will be important later on. The story see the return of some of the best characters in the series - Springheeled Jack, Billy-Ray Sanguine, Dusk, Frightening Jones and Black Annis (who you may remember was a troll kind of thing that Tanith arrested in a side story at the end of one of the other books.

All credit to Derek Landy - these are remarkable well written. They're pacey, witty and have a pretty mysterious plotline that the reader has to decipher a little (it's not that difficult to keep ahead of, but you might get a few surprises here and there). This is a must-have for all Skulduggery fans.

Just a quick note - this book IS A SPIN-OFF. It seems people were disappointed by the absence of Skulduggery and Valkyrie. Well, the story isn't about them, it's about Tanith. That said, quite a lot happens and I would recommend reading it because it is likely that the events of this story will have a swing on the next book or two.
on 31 March 2013
It's here!!! It's finally here, another book from the masterful Derek Landy. I got this as an Easter present today and got stuck right in. Of course I finished it in a mere few hours. Derek Landy is one of those authors who I will drop EVERYTHING for! My reading pile may be 200 or so books long, but his books will jump to the top everytime. They are just kick butt awesome.
This book is a spin off novella, told a couple of months after the events in Kingdom of the Wicked, but this time the story is told from Tanith's side of things and she's a bad guy now.
At 280 pages this is quite short but still packed with so much awesomeness. I always loved Tanith - she's one of my favourite characters, I still wish she would come back to the good side, but I will admit she makes quite a cool villain. This book also reveals some of her past which I found fascinating and it was good to see that history.
Tanith is trying to track down, steal and destroy four weapons that can kill with a single nick, they are called 'God Killer's' as nothing can stop them, she recruits a band of villains to help her, some are known favourites from earlier books such as Billy-Ray, Springheeled Jack and Dusk, whilst others are new additions. all with very different talents, and some more disgusting than others.
I got so excited whist reading this as one of the new characters has the same surname as me, I am being delusional and telling myself that Derek Landy did that deliberately, just for me. The character is male and I am of course female, but Derek can't be too obvious can he? :P I know it's a tribute to one of his most dedicated fans!!! :D
There is a distinct lack of Skulduggery and Valkyrie in this book, but in a strange way it works, Tanith is such a strong character that she commands the page and captures the story.
I don't want to write too much about it as I don't want to give away any spoilers, just know that this book is just as incredible as all the others and yes I did laugh out loud in many places.
on 2 April 2013
I bought a this book thinking that if it was anything like skullduggery pleasant I would enjoy it and it was just as good, if not better. I really recommend this book. Hopefully you will enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 1 April 2013
I've always felt that the Skulduggery books lack interesting bad guys. I'm also one of those people who sometimes want the bad guys to win.
Tanith has always been my favourite character; and this book flashes back to Taniths past too.
This book is funny, witty and introduces you to bad guys of tomorrow. If they don't get killed.
on 8 April 2013
I should hate Derek Landy. I really should. I spend ages moaning about books that need to run for volumes and volumes. I say the word saga should only apply to holidays where all the stairs come with a lift option. But then there's Skulduggery Pleasant. Sure, they might be surprisingly violent and dark for what is considered a children's book, but they are stunningly entertaining. Somehow the endless supply of one liners, terrific set pieces and brilliant plots never come off as smug. Instead they are pure pleasure. No overly complicated characters or need to sell more books every time. And this spin off is no exception. This time we go into the moodier, more twisted world of the other side of the fence. We get to spend time inside the heads of some of the series better known monsters but this is a trip into the world of vanity and pretension and writing for the sake of sales. Instead there are real characters here and some great moments. So now we reach a dilemma? More Skulduggery or more Tanith...that's not as an easy choice as you'd expect. (Also, I've got to say, I never saw a reference to Jeff Buckley or The Wire coming in a book like this. Didn't see those coming.)
on 16 April 2013
A really good little spin-off of ever ones favorite hero/villain assassin. Just the write size at 300 pages for a story not involving Skulduggery and Valkerie. For a short story that kept getting bigger I felt that Derek Landy could have done with maybe fleshing the story out a little more.
The story is a bit of a filler, and I feel that there could have been a bit more explanation of how they got from country to country and a bit more description of each place. Both teams where a little weak and again could have done with expanding a little bit. The flash backs I quickly figured out to be Tannith's and I really liked these as I feel the main series has become so hectic they never would have been able to hold her back story.
Overall, still incredibly funny and full of everything you would expect from the regular series. In addition unlike the short read The End of the World, this book is the same size and style as the 7 books in the main series so it looks great in the collection. A good book worth reading, but don't feel to left out if you are not too interested, though there are repercussions that will spread into the main series and the last 2 books.
on 23 August 2013
Thankfully, Tanith, Billy-Ray and Dexter Vex are strong enough characters to carry this spin off. Wilhelm is a hilarious character who I'd love to see in a future Skullduggery Pleasant adventure. The story pans out exactly how you'd expect it to but this is filled with great laughs and Derek Landy trademark surprise bumping offs as well as enough pop-culture references to keep long term Skullduggery fans entertained!