4.0 out of 5 stars Faithful version of an old classic
I was pleased to find this was the complete text and not the abridged paperback, and that it had Tolkien's introduction. The scan was almost 100% accurate, with only one or two errors that could have been picked up by careful proof-reading.
Published 6 months ago by Marion Kershaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi and religion intersperced
I wouldn't know how to categorise this trilogy whether as sci-fi or theological treatise. The intrusion of the latter element for me spoiled the former. The religious element is more evident as the trilogy develops and I found myself skipping large chunks of the text to omit this element. The trilogy is fine if you like this type of thing, if not stick to HG Wells, Ray...
Published 7 months ago by realtree

4.0 out of 5 stars Faithful version of an old classic, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
I have not read these stories for almost 20 years, and was surprised to find the first and third as gripping as I remembered; "Perelandra" has large sections which can be skipped without missing anything. An engrossing read for anyone who is prepared to tolerate Lewis's outdated and sexist version of Christianity.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of C S Lewis and unique in the field of Christisn speculative fiction, 13 Dec 2013
Stephen F. Hayes (Botley, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
I read the last book 'That Hideous Strength' first, in an expurgated version that as I later realised had removed some of the more obviously Christian bits, as a schoolboy over 40 years ago. Don't really understand it but couldn't stop reading. Since them my wife and I have literally worn out 2 sets of the trilogy and are on our third, re-reading again and again over decades.

The middle book of the trilogy 'Perelandra' has a special place for me as I was going through some very bad stuff in my head once and this book came into my hands and really helped.

Each book can be read on its own but they are much better as a trilogy and read in order. They become less like ordinary sci fi and more theological as they move on. The first book 'Out of the Silent Planet' would probably appeal most to the 'regular' science fiction writer. Without giving too much away, the books are set on Mars, Venus and Earth and portray Mars and Venus as habitable. OK, we now know that isn't so, but they didn't then and given that we willingly suspend disbelief in any story of this kind, that's OK.

I freely admit that I write as a convinced Christian, as was C S Lewis, and yes the trilogy carries a Christian message. But it is definitely NOT propaganda or 'written to make you believe in Jesus' and many issues about the human condition are thoughtfully explored. C S Lewis wrote several essays about fantasy/fairy tales and clearly put his heart and thought into this trilogy. There are many layers of meaning which one keeps coming back to, definitely far more that a 'cowboys and Indians in space' space opera story.

Some critics have described these books as 'Narnia for adults'. I wouldn't put it like that, especially as I think the Narnia tales are great for adults too! But there is some truth in that.

Finally, feminists, liberals and other critics have attacked these tales for being sexist (especially 'That Hideous Strength'), for suggesting that some problems should be solved with violence, and for being anti-science. I don't think any of these criticisms hold water, besides which-if you can't float controversial or unfashionable ideas in a fairy tale (Lewis' own preferred term for this work) then where can you float them?

These are literally my favourite books in the whole world, and having just re-read the first 2 for the nth time am savouring the thought of re-reading That Hideous Strength, which Peter Hitchens agrees with me is Lewis' most important work. And that is saying something.

I could say more in praise of this trilogy but it would get boring unless I said enough to spoil the plot and that I won't do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rereading a great trilogy, 6 May 2014
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
c.S. Lewis is one of my favourite authors. It is many years since I read the whole trilogy. When I received a Kindle gift token this trilogy was my first choice. So far I have reread Out of the Silent Planet, and the only thing stopping me getting into Perelandra is the fact that I want to save it for some train journeys coming up!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent trilogy, 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
CS Lewis' space trilogy is less well known than his other books but is no less well written. The man clearly had a gigantic imagination and manages to articulate it in captivating style. I must confess book 2 of the 3 book set is quite hard going, but it in itself is worth persevering with if just to say you have read it! Books 1 and 3 are wonderful and a thoroughly entertaining read from start to finish. Really recommend this set to anyone interested in reading an older written style book but about some quite forward thinking ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lewis at his unfettered best, 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
These books are CS Lewis writing fiction without the constraints that he had for Narnia - that is that the audience were children. These books are intense, gruesome, glorious and spellbinding. All the Lewis imagination which is shown in the Narnia series is here pushed to extremes, and it is awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars not narnia for adults, 21 Nov 2013
Mrs. Hazel Sherman "ADVENTURE STORY BOOKWORM" (SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
If you're used to the way Lewis writes you'll have no trouble following the story. He manages to include philosophy and religion in a way that doesn't detract from the story and at times challanges the reader to think more deeply about their own beliefs. That being said the story itself is a good tale of man exploring the worlds that make up our solar system, along the lines of other late victorian sci fi writers, and what could posdibly be there. I've found it a good read and the type of book to be read several times with something different sparking thoughts each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars C S LEWIS, 3 Jun 2014
Petra (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Old fashioned but beautifully written. This was Sci Fi back in the day. Still an interesting perspective on the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great story, 27 May 2014
Mr. S. D. Elvy (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this space trilogy. I am a fan of science fiction and fantasy and this was a great read. I've read it three or four times and it just does not get old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A matter of taste, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
A matter of taste but Lewis is sufficiently well known that those who don't like his books don't buy them. I am using the Kindle version to replace long-lost print copies: and though I am not completely in sympathy with Lewis' outlook they have been well worth adding to my electronic library and I have thoroughly enjoyed rereading it after all these years

Somebody else has commented on "That Hideous Strength" being complete or at least more skillfully abbreviated than the paperback (when my wartime hardback fell apart I bought the paperback and have rarely been more annoyed).

5.0 out of 5 stars CS Lewis, Author of a trilogy of gripping , beautifully written series of stories., 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Space Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
Lewis is one of those authors whose descriptive ability captures the attention. I read these many years ago and am in the process of re-discovering this overlooked trilogy. The trilogy begins in an unexpected way, the names and types of character are typically human, you will know similar people. The good versus evil remains current, even today, the content is dated, typically though. The stories were written for their time. The context remains fresh, the content, challenging.
In a world where the supernatural is softly contained and fantastically televised, I use the wors in its most aweful sense
Lesis' work awakens the awareness of those things just on the edge of our sight. What we put down to good or bad fortune perhaps. I recommend you read with an open mind, follow the threads and enjoy.

The Space Trilogy
The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis (Hardcover - 24 Oct 2013)
20.00