1,397 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, hated the ending
I'm giving this rating based on the majority of the book. It's a book that I didn't want to put down, wanting to know exactly what came next.
I must say though I was disappointed, if not a bit upset with the ending (hence the rating). If you'd like to read an alternative ending, one which I believe is a better fit and worthy of the characters and what they have been...
Published 26 days ago by Rhiannon Jones

Published 5 months ago by Dyl

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending. The trilogy finale as exciting as a soggy firework., 8 Aug. 2014
Oh well, I had hoped that things might pick up a bit from the second book. Unfortunately, the third book just seemed to trundle along and never really get going. Even towards the end it didn’t manage to build up my excitement or get me intrigued as to what might happen next. I didn’t care what happened to any of the characters. I wasn’t bothered whether they ended up as victorious heroes, despised rebels or memorable martyrs. I wasn’t interested in whether bad guys turned good, good guys turned bad, or if family feuds were ended. It was all very dull.
I didn’t like the way the chapters kept switching between who was narrating their actions. Picking the story up mid chapter I often had to try to remind myself who was doing the talking. Is it Tris? Is is Tobias? Arrrgh! And speaking of Tobias, the action hard man has turned into a bit of a wuss.
This trilogy didn’t go out with a bang so much as it fizzled out with a whimper. It’s a shame really because it started out well. It just couldn’t keep the pace going. I won’t be bothering with any of the side line books. I don’t think I’ll even bother watching the first film because I now know that the series isn’t so much a roller coaster ride of excitement and is more of a Sunday drive out with elderly relatives.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting that it would (eventually) get better. It didn't., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3) (Hardcover)
NB: Plot and ending spoilers.

Like many other readers here, I felt compelled to write a review. This has been on my mind for days and I need to get it off my chest; I'm still having irritated outbursts whenever I think about this book.

Firstly, I really enjoyed the first two and eagerly read them having watched the first film. The story was interesting and held my attention, the characters were unique and likeable. Although there were tragedies and difficult topics, they were dealt with sensitively and with due care and consideration.

Needless to say, Allegiant was not like that. I persevered (had I known the ending, I wouldn't have), expecting that it would improve and fall into place. It didn't. I was genuinely upset at the end. I was left with the sense the whole book was a missed opportunity and the overwhelming feeling that I had been cheated of my time and money. I felt the characters had not received a just and well-thought out ending. Unsurprisingly, I have several complaints that made this book an actively negative contribution to my reading experience.

Firstly, we had Tobias' voice. This could have been brilliant. He's an engaging character; damaged, courageous, kind, fiercely loyal, all the things that make someone appealing in YA fiction. This was the first missed opportunity, the first hurdle at which our author had some inexplicable problem. Tobias was (amazingly) terribly boring. There was nothing distinctive about his voice. I kept having to check whether it was him or Tris, such was my confusion. I do not suffer from a short attention span, it was just poorly written (why? I don't know, there was nothing in the previous books that suggested this would be the case). He had a miraculous character change from an independent and headstrong man to a naive loser, who seemed suddenly incapable of independent will and ideas. Why would a character that is suspicious of authority and what other people tell him about himself (given he was horribly abused), suddenly believe some ridiculous category inflicted upon him by an obviously misguided group of people? Why would he ignore Tris, when he had already learned his lesson in the previous book? It is implausible and had no understandable mitigating circumstances which could justify it. But alas, this was the most minor of the offences that make this book utterly unsatisfying.

Secondly on characters; Evelyn and Marcus. Roth had done some great work here with deep, interesting plots - people with genuinely complex and difficult relationships. Did we get any closure here? No. Evelyn just ran away and Marcus disappeared without a event. The possibilities here were immense, why the cop out?

Then we had what was beyond the fence. This was a massive, irredeemable anti-climax and if I'd been a bit more cynical I would have given up and realised it wasn't going to improve, as this was probably the point of no return. The premise is a very boring, dressed up utopian idea about purity (in this case genetic rather than racial) that lead to exterminations and random experiments. There was the Purity War which was never properly explained as well as being a bit far-fetched. Even the characters seemed to have trouble with it. This bizarre context also randomly incorporated Big Brother (but wasn't as scary or compelling), which added nothing but further implausibility. It is perhaps unsurprising then that the characters were underdeveloped or poor imitations of previous ones, so I didn't feel anything about them, other than confused and disappointed that they weren't better.

The ending. Where to begin. The logic was odd, like everything else. The Bureau was a relatively benign dictatorship as far as they go and simply reseting the city did not seem all that bad, given it was a mess. The fact the characters wanted to leave in the first place suggests that they didn't care very much about what happened there, so why bother at all? They also had time to go and collect various people to save, so why not do that and leave everyone else? or notify Evelyn and Marcus so they could put aside their numerable differences to negotiate a truce in time for the greater good or self preservation? The possibilities were vast but once again missed.

Finally, I categorically disagree that Tris' 'sacrifice' was something to be particularly proud of. I understand the biblical no greater love than laying down your life for your friends etc. But nothing about this made any sense. Tris could have saved Chicago (albeit with above plot flaws) without being shot and killed by a supposed former friend of her mother's. This would have redeemed it in my eyes, I could have forgiven all of the above of Roth had granted us this; killing her was unnecessary and upsetting. It would have been better to have her injured (and make us wonder whether she was dead) and then have the happy ending we all wanted. I don't buy the realism line or excuse, nothing about this book was 'real', so why start now? I don't read fiction for realism, thanks very much, I have my own life for that. I read books for entertainment and this was not entertaining. Tragedy can be, but this wasn't, it felt unfair. After this sad demise, I kept expecting that she would miraculously survive somehow; she's a survivor after all and had beaten the odds every time. But the disappointment continued. Instead I had an ending full of unsatisfying grief (this wasn't enough in my view, Tobias was until the end quite dull) and a rubbish scattering of ashes scene. This was not a good ending. Where was the closure? What had Tobias learnt? Life's not fair, you'll never get what you want, those that love you always leave, tough luck? What had Tris learned? Sacrifice means dying for a good cause? It doesn't have too, as she had already understood. I think her parents would have wanted her to live and have a good life (doesn't every parent?); arguably they died so she could have that. Why kill her? I'm utterly mystified.

So in short: I'd avoid the series altogether or at the very least avoid this book. I wish I had. If you feel like you want to finish it, prepare to be unsatisfied and disappointed. All I got out of it was feeling thoroughly depressed and now irritated. I'm also 20 pounds poorer.

As someone else has already said, you might as well make up your own ending after Insurgent, it will be much better than Roth's strange and inexplicable attempt.

2.0 out of 5 stars When the factions went, so did the story., 4 Aug. 2014
**SPOILERS**

It seen to me that when the factions, in the book, were destroyed, so was the story line. Either Veronica Roth had no idea what to do for the last book or she just wasn't bothered. But I can honestly say that it has never taken me this long to finish a book before. I'll admit that I fell in love with the idea of the world split into factions in the first book Divergent. And how secrets were uncovered in Insurgent. I went around saying 'I'm an Insurgent Divergent.' Of course Allegiant revealed more secrets and gave me some answers. But not all questions were answered in this back and forth story. And I sadly say that the romance was a flop.

Let me just say this: the story was a drag. Obviously fans of this series will agree with me when I say that this story wouldn't exist without the factions. And in the end it didn't. VR just wasn't able to pull it off. It really did seem to me that when the factions were destroyed, VR really had no idea what to do next for the story and instead came up with one simple idea and used it repeatedly thought out the story. Just a lot of repeating the same thing over and over again in different wording and making it the length of a book.

I liked it when VR came up with the brilliant idea of switching view points. It was interesting in the beginning to look into the mind of Four/Tobias. But when every chapter was a different person it got very confusing and not just to me but to the author as well because it seemed as if both Tris' and Tobias' characters merged to form one as the thoughts and speech were very much alike. If you missed the chapter name in the beginning you'd be very lost. More than a few times did I have to go back to see which character I was reading. It also didn't help that both characters, although in the same time and place, had completely different stories. I mean, I'm pretty sure girlfriend and boyfriend aren't supposed to keep that much from each other.

I admit that I like it when authors kill off main characters. But when Tris dies it's 1) not clear as to whether or not she coming back and 2) not very effect because there isn't as much grieving over her as there should have been. Just to give effect. There were more memories about her than an actual funeral and grief/lost. Especially from Tobias. The romance seem to have completely dropped out.

As much as I loved the first books and the stories' idea, this book sadly didn't live up to my expectations. Disappointment isn't the word I'm looking for because it did give me answers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series that lost its way, 30 Jun. 2014
Bamba "Bamba" (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

It's always impossible for any author to write the ending of a much loved series, there are always going to be unhappy readers & I do see what Veronica Roth was trying to do here & I have alot of respect & admiration for her & this world she has created & shown us so brilliantly (& I have alot of respect for her blog post about the ending which was very endearing)...however, even though I didn't completely hate this book, it didn't really work for me.

I hate the idea that everything has to be a trilogy or more. Like the Hunger Games (& that third book I did hate) this series would have worked so much better as a 2 book series with an extra few chapters at the end of Insurgent tying everything up.

It was obvious late in Book 1 that this was a 'village' type experiment & that there was a wider world out there. What would have worked perfectly for me was to have the factionless/good guys win & for them to venture out into the modern world. Fade to black, perfect.

Instead, very much like Catching Fire, we get a whole new us vs them/war scenario which is just frustrating in a 3rd book. It's like clutching at straws to drag the story out & as a result its riddled with plot holes & scientific nonsense that is just frustrating.

Pros:
*I love the world VR has created overall & thats why Ive given it 3 stars and like I said, I didn't hate it.
*Matthew, very interesting character & wish he had been fleshed out more
* Peters journey in this book is good
* I didn't actually mind what happened to Tris, just the reasons behind it.

Cons:

*Tobias and Tris's voices sounding exactly the same, to the point where most of the time I had no clue whose chapter I was reading until the other person was mentioned by name.

* The whole plan. If everyone in the world thought genetically damaged people were to blame for everything then how does erasing the memories of one set of peoole help? When they were retrained, they would still be liasing with the government & other people monitoring the other projects and every person they met ever would still be party to the propaganda that said GD were inferior. If anything them at the Bureau suddenly mass changing their mind would raise suspicions and probably mean the higher ups (those not on site) would replace them or figure out what had happened & this would cause even more troubles.

* Natalie Priors story. Does not work at all. From Book1 we know that all the factions go to school together, so when they talk of adjusting 'a few people's memories' for her to fit in, that cannot be possible. They would have had to adjusted all 4 factions kids memories plus the entire dauntless faction because they all knew each other within their factions. It just didn't make any sense.

* Uriah. Deaths only make sense in books when it assists the story. I know that its to show how pointless war is etc etc etc but this added absolutely nothing to this book, in fact it hindered the flow of the story quite substantially.

* Tris's reasoning at the end. She did it out of love for her brother & because she thought she may have had a chance...okay fair enough but her parents sacrificing themselves so she would live & her quite clearly loving Caleb more than he does her,
makes this all just overally complicated & a bit silly. Parents died for Caleb too...would much rather it been in battle. It was all a bit similiar to the reasons Harry has in Harry Potter but it actually makes sense in those books. This seems grasping at straws for a reason that doesn't quite flow or give enough back for the reader.

Overall, as Ive said it was a good read, a page turner and Veronica Roth is obviously very talented but this is a weak book & the series didn't really need Book 3. Sometimes a concluding chapter and leaving it a 2 books would be the bravest decision & much more rewarding for the readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 14 July 2014
Miserable ending, as bewailed by countless fans. The 1st 2 books captured my imagination but sadly the last, as with many trilogies, ran out of steam. The moment there was mention of life beyond the fence, visions of M Night Shyamalan's "The Village" and countless movies and stories of a similar ilk came to mind; and true enough, the same storyline was trotted out, perhaps updated by the addition of genetic engineering. Life in the dystopian city is revealed to have been all a sham and the real world as we know it, exists outside. There's the usual banter enjoyed by teenagers (and me - not so young) and the endless introduction of characters who are happily shot/killed/maimed to the very end. It is amazing after the 1st 2 books that there are any characters (with skin, hair, limbs and their own teeth) left standing. I was lured to the trilogy by the movie, enjoyed the twists and turns of Book 2 but this? Humph.

1.0 out of 5 stars what the hell, 14 Jan. 2014
I have spent a week reading the divergent trilogy. The first two books were amazing and expected the last one to be just as good. Instead it was very difficult to read and didn't flow in the same way the last two did. It seemed the author rushed to write the final book and it dragged on. The ending was very disappointing if your after a happy ever after do not bother reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars WHY!!!!, 21 Sept. 2014
Well after the amazingness that was books 1 and 2 when I finished book 3 I didn't really know what to write for my reveiw of book 3. I spent a long time just sitting there going why? but why? just why?

I finished this book on the 17th March. It has taken me this long to mentally prepare myself to even attempt to write a review. For me this is really bad. I like to write a review pretty much as soon as I finish the book. Even if it's just a few words about each character and how I felt about the book overall.

As with books 1 and 2 Roth's writing was excellent. It wasn't the style or the way it was written that caused me such pain. It was the story itself.

I tend not to write bad reviews. In fact I don't tend to find that I don't like the books I read very often. I know what I like and I tend to stick to the genres that I will enjoy. I don't see any point in wasting time reading something I know from the off that I will hate.

So with all that said I still can't really form a review for this book. I have thought long and hard about this. Wanting it to be fair and honest. But the truth is even after almost 2 months I can still only give you one word and it's why.

I know this doesn't help much when deciding to read the book or not. I would say you should. Books 1 and 2 are AWESOME! I loved them and once you have read them you kinda need to know how it all goes down so in a sense you have to read Allegiant even if afterwards you sit there and like me just think why....just WHY!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know whether to love or loathe it, 19 Aug. 2014
Oh Allegiant, how you’ve frustrated me these past few days. That feeling of not knowing whether to throw you at the wall (thought I’d better not as my kindle would break) or embrace your twisted sentiment.

In advance of delving into Ali Condie’s Matched trilogy I thought I would finish the Divergent series first and was hoping it’s conclusion would be more satisfying than the conclusion of The Hunger Games which diluted it’s enjoyment book by book. I’d already become concerned when the second book in Roth’s series, Insurgent, proved less satisfying than the first. I prayed that the third would redeem itself.

We commence immediately after the conclusion of book 2 where the factionless and their leader Evelyn have taken control of the city. Suddenly the factions are in danger and it appears one dictator has been swapped for another, so a group come together and form the Allegiant, with a view to reinstating the factions.

From here I became frustrated as the book seemed to them become a never ending round of people trying to usurp one leader for another, then for another and another. We take a journey outwith the city Tris and Tobias call home and they travel to a world where it seems more of the same is on the cards.

The characters seem to stall a little in this book, their dialogue seems less mature than that of the earlier books and their relationship scenes seem childlike and immature. That said however the ending that Roth have them still had me choked with tears and I liked how she left a real message at the end of the book, concluding it really nicely with a message for life.

I’d like to say I loved this book, I didn’t, but neither could I say I entirely hated it either. It was a difficult one, I had to force my way through it at points then suddenly there would be a little spark of genius and I’d read intently for a chapter then that spark would fade. It has been a challenging read, not entirely in enjoyable but I’m glad Roth has concluded the series and won’t be trying to dredge another book from her increasingly tired story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Allegiant, 7 Aug. 2014
I feel compelled to write this review as I, like so many others was not satisfied with the end of the divergent series. I read through Divergent and Insurgent, so stuck in the story I spent the day reading both and did not eat until I had finished the two. I then ordered Allegiant, though despite the mixed reviews, I would not have finished the series at Insurgent even if Allegiant had been given 1 star by everyone who had reviewed it.
I started the book in ectasy, delighted to find Tobias was also giving his side of the story as, having read the short stories Veronica wrote from Tobias' point of view, and thoroughly enjoying the brave, clever voice and wanting for more, you can imagine my excitement finding that he would be narrating half of the book.
Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there.
The book was boring and confusing, and so utterly unsatisfying that I ended up skipping most of the pages written by Tobias, and having reread it, realised that it didn't make much sense anyway.
The ending was extremely disappointed, and despite sobbing into my Kindle, I still felt that Roth could have created a much more imaginative end to a series of such success, rather than it having such an anti-climax.
Although the precious books were written well, this one could have been a lot more exciting and moving, without being so terribly tragic, as if Veronica had read her book so far, and, having realised it's unexciting script, decided that the only way to make up for the sheer awfulness of the story so far, was killing off the main character, therefore intriguing readers to finish off what they had started.
I love Roth and her work is amazing but this book was such a disappointment and I wish she had rewritten her story in a more compelling way.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the story of a girl that did not think much of herself and ended up saving so many people because of her selflessness., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3) (Hardcover)
It was by far the weakest book of the series
The two voices switching off was confusing, and the two didn't really seem all that different. Sometimes I had to look back to see who was the narrator of that chapter.
Tris and Tobias were written identically
The character's individual voices were completely lost.
I think the first two book were better.

It was difficult to believe on the relation between GD, GP and the factions.
It does not take several generations for a genetic manipulation to take effect.
Whether you are removing or adding a gene, it manifests right in the very subject you are altering.
If you want to fix broken genes, all you need to do is stick the gene right back where it came from and that's it.
Genes don't "heal" themselves. It's corrected at one time, not after multiple generations of inbreeding.
A small population with no genetic variation will only create a founder effect: the damaged genes they carry will only become more prevalent over time. They will just as likely make the defect stronger and eventually create new and perhaps even screwier genes through mutations as they would achieve any imaginary genetic "healing." If these people are such a scourge on society, the only reason it would be prudent to round them up in one place is so it would be easier to blow them all up at once.
This experiment also makes no sense as an explanation for the society being divided into factions

When you include real science in a story, you have to do research to make sure it makes sense.

To Keep reading, I imagined that all of this happens in another world where this all could make sense and that all this “human beings” in the story are not like human beings on Earth.

The POV is a bit confusing. The new characters were not well developed. The state of the world was extremely ambiguous. But you need to remember that this is Tris story. Not the Bureau story, or the city's story, not even Tobias story. Not about real science or real human beings.

Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3) by Veronica Roth (Hardcover - 22 Oct. 2013)