5.0 out of 5 stars Kim Harrison is the reigning Queen of Urban Fantasy!
One of the most highly anticipated reads of 2013 for many people, Ever After by Kim Harrison most certainly will not fall short of expectations. It will, in many areas, surpass them. It will also shock, it will thrill, and my goodness it will entertain. An outstanding instalment, easily replacing any and all past favourites as the new pinnacle of the series...so far...
Published on 21 Jan. 2013 by The Demon Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Still good, but not the best ...
Published on 12 Feb. 2013 by Henry's Cat

3.0 out of 5 stars Still good, but not the best ..., 12 Feb. 2013
Henry's Cat (Newark on Trent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ever After (Hollows) (Hardcover)
I read the first 9 Hollows books back to back - once I discovered them and started reading them, I found them so easy to read and enjoyable that I just read one after the other. So it was a fairly new experience for me to have to wait for the next installment, and perhaps that meant my anticipation - and expectation - was higher than normal. Don't get me wrong, I was by no means disappointed by this book, but for me in places it seemed to drag just a little too much. The descriptive powers of Ms Harrison when describing the Ever-After and the ley lines are second to none, but I found myself struggling to get through it all to get to the real action and storyline.
Like other reviewers, I quite enjoyed that there was more of Trent in this story, and the ongoing relationship between him and Rachel intensifying. There was hardly any Ivy at all, and to be honest that didn't bother me - vampire based storylines have been done a lot in earlier books (although Kisten remains one of my favourite characters). For me, Rachel and Ivy's relationship needs to move on or move out. I liked the development of Bis's involvement and his fellow gargoyles, as well as that between Jenks and Belle, but found the brief aside with Felix (Nina's master vampire) a little random and can only assume it's throwing out a storyline for the next book(s).
I particularly enjoyed the extended time in the Ever After (hence the title!) and the build up of Dali and Newt's characters as well as some enticing background information about the land of the demons, and their history with the elves. Rachel seems less conflicted and more accepting of her demon self, so more confident as a character. I missed Al though, and whilst he is still a key character, he was by no means as dominant as usual (that role having been taken by Trent for this story) and his sarcastic and snide little asides weren't there often enough to make it the usual rip roaring read of previous books.
Still a great read (I haven't bothered with repeating a synopsis - you can see that on the Amazon page) but not top of the pile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kim Harrison is the reigning Queen of Urban Fantasy!, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Ever After (Hollows) (Hardcover)

As is usually the case, the story picks up a couple of months after the events of the last book, A Perfect Blood, and sees Rachel meeting up with Quen to discuss the prospect of becoming a part of Trent's workforce once again. Only voluntarily this time, and will no bodily threats involved. Which makes a nice change. Rachel's not too sure, though, and perhaps not for the reasons you might expect. It seems she puts more faith in Trent's abilities to protect himself than Quen does these days, and doesn't think he needs anyone else watching him. Quite the opposite, in fact. However, after a drastic and heartbreaking turn of events, the choice about working alongside Trent is taken out of her hands completely. It's now imperative, especially since she feels partly responsible for what's happened.

Fans of the series will recall Rachel's unfortunate experience with a ley line back in book nine, Pale Demon. For me, personally, those last few chapters of Pale Demon were where my appreciation of Kim Harrison's worldbuilding went from thinking she was simply fabulous, to thinking she might actually be some kind of supernatural creature herself. I mean, she must have been to the Ever After in person to be able to describe it so vividly. And not just visual descriptions, either, but the magic, the culture, the social structure, the history, the wars, the continual decline of the demons as a race. Which, incidentally, Rachel has managed to speed up exponentially by ripping a large hole in one of the ley lines. If only the demons thought it was so incidental. Strangely, they're rather annoyed about their impending doom, and in this book they use one hell of a bargaining chip to make sure Rachel fixes her mistake, and fast. The clock is most definitely ticking.

I'm reticent to highlight too many other plot points as I think it's best to just experience it as it unfolds. And it was a real roller coaster, that's for sure. Totally unputdownable with near-perfect pacing. There are some big shocks in store, as I mentioned earlier, some controversial returning characters, plenty of conflict--both internal and external--and a fair amount of introspection for our dear Rache, as well. There were a couple of instances where the plot moved a bit slower, but out of a 500-and-then-some page book, that's really not bad at all. Perhaps even a necessity. Overall, this instalment felt really meaty, with little filler and lots of massive plot twists and character progression that really change the game entirely for the last two books. And of course, being titled Ever After, you can expect to bask in yet more of Harrison's phenomenal worldbuilding for that setting, and also, get some fantastic insight into everyone's favourite demon, Algaliarept. Outstanding stuff!

For the Rachel and Trent shippers out there (much like myself) you'll be pleased with the amount of time spent together in this book. Gone are the days where Trent would make one, maybe two, brief appearances--usually managing to annoy the crap out of Rachel in the process--but it's clear now that, in whatever role, Trent is a part of Rachel's life. They make strange bedfellows in some respects, but in other's, they couldn't be more compatible. What's lovely to see as well is the developing trust between them; something we couldn't have ever imagined coming from Rachel even as little as three books ago. It's an amazing transformation and a fantastic journey Kim Harrison has taken us on. I'm sad to think there's just two teeny weeny little books left in this series, but judging by the ending of this book, they're gonna be good ones! Oh, yeah.

5 Stars ★★★★★
A special thanks to Harper Voyager for the ARC.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good!, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Ever After (Hollows) (Hardcover)
kim harrison as always has outdone herself. the book was amusing as always, nerve racking and emotional. the ending however was not what i had expected and it has made me want to desperatly read the next one! usually her books end with a satisfying note but the ending of this is just not that at all! all in all its an awesome book and a good addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 3 April 2013
As usual, Ms Harrison delivers and you can never be too sure which way the plot will go. I love the fact that she is not scared to kill off characters that she has spent time developing.. having said that, I was left feeling a little puzzled and disbelieving of the surprise in the plot this time (and I am still not 100% convinced that this is the last that we will see of these characters). That said, I couldn't put this book down and am left, as ever with this series, wishing that the next book was already written. A definite must read for anyone who likes this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars The clocks ticking!, 25 July 2014
Well I had this on my bookcase for months as I couldn't bring myself to read it knowing that pretty soon this amazing urban fantasy series would be over. This author seems to put out a book a year so when I get my hands on the latest I cannot bring myself to just inhale it, no these are books to savour and this one is just ramping up the storyline!
The ever after is where the demons live but it's shrinking and Rachel is held accountable as she created the ley line that's causing it all! It's been tampered with though by a very powerful enemy but Rachel needs proof otherwise the demons insist her life be forfeit! As if that wasn't enough to give our favourite witch a headache the most inconceivable disaster has taken place , her friend Ceri and goddaughter Lucy have been kidnapped and Rachel knows time is running out for them. She needs help but for once she isn't able to rely on Al or even Ivy to be at her side no, this time it looks as if it's Trent who will be with her in battle! Trent is a tricky elf though and Rachel would be a fool to trust him wouldn't she? Rachel is no ones fool though and sees the love Trent has for his family . So take down a demon, rescue loved ones oh and save the world ! Sounds like a plan ,now all Rachel needs is time but that's the one thing that's she's running out of. Tick tock Rachel, come on the clock is counting down to the end of the world !
O gosh so much happens in this book that I'm not sure what to say! If you are a Trent fan then you will be over the moon as there's a lot of interaction between him and Rachel but it won't please all readers. As for Jenks , well our favourite snarky foul mouthed pixie has well and truly got his lust for life back and it's a wonderful thing! There isn't a lot of Ivy in this book which I don't mind as her needs have often caused too much angst for this reader but it's clear that there's a huge showdown with the vampires heading towards Rachel . This book is most definitely all about the demons. We get to learn much more about their history as a race and the war between them and the elves. We start to see dare I say a more human side to them? Particularly Al and Rachel herself is finally accepting just what she is .
It's a lengthy read so not nonstop action but I'm fine with that. There are so many plot twists and the world building just blows me away. Sacrifices are made which surprised me if honest and as for Rachel's love life? Well it's always been my opinion that she has really bad taste in men so let's hope that the author can help her make better choices!
This is a truly fabulous series and this awesome book just adds to it. Do not miss this one as when the showdown comes it's going to be very very bloody!
A huge recommendation

5.0 out of 5 stars gone too soon, 1 Dec. 2013
Finished and I was so enjoying myself, again. I've read these books over so many years and this one brought up things I had forgotten about. I think I will start again. Keep me going till the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Fantasy, 3 Oct. 2013
I have been hooked on this verse since I read the first book in the series. It takes fantasy fiction into a new dimension. The characters feel like old friends and I now firmly believe that every house should have it's own Gargoyle. I can't decide whether Rachel will end up with Al or Trent but I will enjoy finding out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Sept. 2013
As usual my visit to the Hollows ended all too soon!!
Next instalment in Rachel Morgan series. Love the softer side of Al. Fed up with the elf princesses return but I'm sure Rachel will see her off eventually!! Blooming good read...can't wait for the next!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please Kim., 30 Jan. 2013
Once again Kim. Has a hit on her hands, The series just gets better and better. The characters have depth and you can believe this other world is, right under your nose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible as always, 27 Jan. 2013
I love the hollows series. 11 books in and Kim Harrison still manages to both surprise and delight me.

I really hate to say it but the elf is finally starting to grow on me.

Ever After (Rachel Morgan 11)
Ever After (Rachel Morgan 11) by Kim Harrison (Paperback - 30 Jan. 2014)