4.0 out of 5 stars Interworld - a good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but could be better
Published on 15 July 2007 by AnaW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but could be better, 15 July 2007
This review is from: Interworld (Hardcover)
From the moment I started reading the book, I had the nagging feeling that it read way too much like the treatment for a series pilot; this was confirmed when I reached the final pages and read that indeed, Interworld had been concieved as a series, except that apparently no TV executive got the premise of parallel universes (how did Sliders ever get produced then, I wonder?).

It all works OK as short novel for young readers, and it is entertaining and reads quickly. What went wrong then? Well, several things:
- most of the twists and turns were highly predictable.
- the witty-teenager narrator POV sounded a tad forced, and only in a few places I found myself actually getting an idea of what was REALLY going on in Joey's mind, which caused the third issue
- it all makes him very difficult to engage with, and seeing that every other character out there had very little "screentime" so to speak, leaves the reader feeling cheated

Overall, it's worth a read, but I am not sure how the book will sit with its intended audience. It's almost as if the authors were trying so hard to sound cool, that they forgot to actually make us care about the characters. Which is a shame, considering how that is one of Gaiman's strengths as a writer. I have never read anything from Reaves, so I don't know if this is his style, or they were both having off days. It's a real pity, because there is some potential with the idea, although the way it ends, it's left open to construct a whole series around them, which could explore the characters in detail and finally bring us to actually find them interesting. Which, I believe, was the original intent anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Being charitable ..., 5 July 2013
This review is from: Interworld (Interworld 1) (Paperback)
..... being charitable I'd like to say this book has some good ideas.

But really it's a mess. Sometimes the 'dual author' approach produces excellent literature - look no further than 'Good Omens'. However when it goes bad - and make no mistakes, this book IS bad - it's like being shouted at by two different people, neither of whom has anything of interest to say. How a writer of Gaiman's acumen and ability came to add his name is beyond me. Great shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interworld - a good read, 1 Feb 2013
Just read this book, pretty much without stopping. A good story, taking you along through several twists and turns. It is a teenage novel, and no fault for that, but as I'm nearer 60 than 15 I can say it works for me, as well. It doesn't have the complexity of a standard Neil Gaimen and it is more "Johhny and the Bomb" than "Stardust" or "Anansi Boys". Reminded me a bit of "Enders Game" - a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parallel Universe fun, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Interworld (Kindle Edition)
Interworld was an enjoyable, adventurous, well-written read. I particularly liked the multi-dimensional being 'Hue'.
However, I felt it lacked the gravitas or the wit to make it a classic.
I would recommend it for anyone after a non-taxing adventure story involving multiple earths!

3.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter meets His Dark Materials, 11 Sep 2013
J. A. Green "Tony in t' Royd" (Mytholmroyd, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interworld (Kindle Edition)
It's a good idea, but it's been done better by Rowling and Pullman. The young person with special powers taken away from normal life to be trained and save the Universe. I found the writing rather shallow and the story confused. I won't be reading the other books in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Interworld (Kindle Edition)
Normally love Gaimen but this book felt flat and rushed. Writing by numbers. I would skip it if I were you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 1 July 2013
And so he does it again! Another classic from my favourite author ever. This is more of a children's book really compared to say "American Gods" or "Neverwhere" but like "Stardust" or "The Graveyard Book" it is still a good read for adults. I wish I could live inside Gaiman's head.

2.0 out of 5 stars Come up with a new storyline, Gaiman, please, 28 Oct 2009
L. R. Richardson (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interworld (Paperback)
Neil Gaiman really needs to stop coming up with the same storyline over and over. He also only seems to co-write well with Terry Pratchett. This is the story of Jonathan "Joey" Harker, a Mary-Stu who always gets lost. It turns out he gets lost because he's only meant to be able to find other worlds/dimensions. Joey walks into other worlds, and of course there is a battle of Good vs. Evil, with other Joeys from all other worlds being the soldiers fighting to maintain balance.

The organization of this book was all over the place. Near the end of the book it seemed as if the authors realized they had forgotten to mention something, so they threw it in there. Much of it was summary, the characters were flat, the world and ideas rather uninspired. I was very bored. This is hands down my least favourite Gaiman novel. Honestly, the best thing about this book is the amazing James Jean cover. I do not recommend this.

2.0 out of 5 stars No one needs every Neil Gaiman book - and this book proves it, 21 May 2009
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interworld (Paperback)
This was my first Neil Gaiman book, and despite the praise he is receiving, it may end up being my last. This book was very poor. The characterisation was rough, the scenes were largely derivative and poorly thought through. It was writing on a level I expect I could have produced myself when 11 years old at school (and I don't consider myself a great writer!)

One scene sticks out in this regard. When the protagonist leaves his family and is confronted by his mother but must leave anyway - that scene just does not work. Not at all! It was more a case of forcing the character through a sequence of events so as to get them in the right place for a final showdown.

And then there is the whole other world thing that begged a rich and imaginative outworking, but left you feeling like all the action was happening in an empty space. The world was under-described, and there was no sense of wonder at the immensity of the creation being passed through.

It seems this book was written as a very quick fun project, rightly shelved but at some point dusted down and polished up. But it would have been better to rewrite it from the start than just to knock it into shape where the name of the author would get it published. This is one that should have hit the reject pile instead

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Ideas in Search of a Story, 13 July 2014
C. Murphy (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interworld (Interworld 1) (Paperback)
The author doesn't seem to be familiar with the old adage "show, don't tell"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Interworld (Interworld 1)
Interworld (Interworld 1) by Michael Reaves (Paperback - 25 April 2013)
5.51